All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:34 am

Post subject: Updated 500 Point Easterling/Serpent Horde List
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:06 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So I ran into these nifty things called corsairs in my Harad book. I have to say, at first I thought they were pretty crappy, but then I realized that they all have throwing weapons. So that got me thinking: "How could I include them in my list without losing my Easterlings (the thing that got me into SBG) and still keep my campaign list?"

I think I can up with an answer and I thin it's a nice mix of both armies as well.

Easterlings
Captain
-Shield, Armored Horse

-7 Shield

-6 Bow

-6 Spear and Shield

Serpent Hoard
-Assassin Guy

-12 Haradrim Spear

-6 Haradrim Bow

-10 Corsair Shield

50 Guys, 13 bows, 11 Throwing Weapons, 3 Might

I think that I can get around not having a lot of might by the fact that I have Easterling Spears. My Easterling Shields will form up the middle with some Haradrim spear and Pike support. Then the Corsairs and Hasharin will form teams with the remaining spears and go and pick on really what ever.

I figure that my Easterling center isn't going anywhere soon, So it'll give my corsairs time to get in position. My Hasharin has been amazing the last few games (he ate three great eagles [one was that hero] an entire Grey Company force, and kept some Uruk-hai distracted long enough for the rest of my army to pick off the orc spears and the crossbows. i have to say he's the best 90 Points I've ever spent. =D

Maybe in larger games or the games where I don't have to keep him (he was in my original campaign list so he has to stay), the Spider Queen will be making several appearances. ^^
 Post subject: Re: Updated 500 Point Easterling/Serpent Horde List
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looks very good. I prefer Suladan to a Hashari, but yours seems to be quite successful. The only other thing I'd change would be to give some more of the Haradrim Warriors bows, as many as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would rop the captain's horse and get as more haradhrim bows as possible... 8)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If i were making an easterling army, i would get dragon knights, amdur and a shaman, backed up by tons of troops.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

By Shamn, he doesn't mean allty in an orc, goblin or uruk one, though, he means a war priest, but I second what he said.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Really a good thought... Magic would be useful... You may also consider taking Khamul... Just a thought 8)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Using Khamul is dependant on whether or not you are gonna use amdur, amdur+priest can provide almost everything a pairing of heroes needs to make the warriors fight incredibly well, but a priest+khamul means you can have khamul strike at str 6 without him using his own will to increase his stats (so he could strike with str 7 or with 2 str 6 attacks) In most cases i would put enough trust into Amdur+War priest at 500pts without needing khamul.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree Amdur is a very good hero... He specialr rules are very good. 8)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for all the responses. =D

The thing is, I can not deviate from my original list as it is a campaign,

Easterling Captain
12 Easterling Shields
5 Easterling Bows
Hasharin
12 Haradrim Spear
6 Haradrim Bow

So far I've figured out that I do enjoy having more models, which means more bows, then bigger characters. I know this might start to be a problem when people start to include things like Blinding Light or the Shadow Lord, but I'm figuring that those models cost a lot and so I'll outnumber them anyway.

I read somewhere that pure Easterlings are kinda lack luster. That when you start to include allies, they become better. I've seen this with my Easterlings and their D6 stopping elven bows, holding up in combat forever, and providing a nice anvil for the rest of my army to crash upon. Would I be mistaken on playing them like this?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well if i were gonna play the tactic you described i would have allies that actually had hard hitting power, like spiders, trolls, black guard or wargs, not harad warriors, the only benefit i can see from including the haradrim is to bolster your numbers AND have room for a big hero, good luck with your campaign, im sure what you have will be great :)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:13 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Maybe as soon as I hit this 500 point list, i'll add in the Spider queen and some spiders. that way I'll have numbers and hitting power =D

*Edit: I mean for my 700 Point list. And it would be the Queen and 5 little ones added to the above
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:56 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Maybe golden king and many more numbers would be better than sq+spiders, since you've already began the path of easterlings+harad you may aswell stick with it. But it depends entirely on your playstyle :)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:46 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've been toying with the notion of Watchers of Karna w/ Bow as an (expensive) alternative to Corsairs and normal bows. As delicate as wood elves, yes--but the cheapest two attack soldiers in the game (?), with the shooting accuracy of Elves, plus a poison arrow rule that gives them an edge over Rangers. Love those Corsair throwing daggers...but the guaranteed 2nd attack of Watchers is appealling. Protected (while shooting) by Easterling Shields on approach, then letting them charge ahead with spear support and Easterling Pikes behind: that is 4 attacks with Fight 4, a fight winner most times, I imagine. Resist to Magic and Courage boost thrown in... A cost of 10 points is normal for an Elite.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:58 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Good idea, i'd go for the watchers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:14 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

At first I was about to correct you about the Watchers because I always thought they only had one attack, hence never using them. However, it looks good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Watchers can be very useful... 8)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:33 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I can see your point about watchers, however, I can get more corsairs with shields, and we have a lot of elves here. I'm thinking that the 10 throwing weapons would give me an edge and also help a lot against the goblin player.

I also really like my shooting phase so considering the fact that I can have more corsairs shoot then I can Watchers, I think I might go with them. But I will try out watchers... they do sound good, especially with spear support.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:06 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Their very good if your opponent wants to use a stormcaller/arwen, since they can resist natures wrath every turn, if you scatter them around enough you could totally nullify the stormcaller.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:30 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If you're still looking for a "hammer" unit don't overlook the 1/2 Trolls. They can really provided their weight in point cost when it comes down to it. Of course it is a expensive unit (22/23pts per 1/2troll + the Tribal Master or King), but they auto pass Courage test w/their leader nearby.

Then there is the often overlooked...true... allies of the East: the Khandish warriors. For a 110pts (I believe) you can have 2 chariots (Chieftain and a Warrior w/monstrous mount ruling) and wreck havoc throughout your enemies ranks.

I see where you're heading with the Watchers and their support. I see a lot of prep. movement though before declaring a Charge. I wouldn't advise having the Watchers leading the column of spear+pike across the board: they'd be shot dead before they could be a factor. Hence leading with the Easterling and then rotating the Watcher to the fore just prior to charging (hopefully you win the Priority and/or Heroic Move). Just make sure you cover any line-of-sight to them with your other troops, I've seen archers used to pick off low defence/high attack troops hiding in the rear before they can be unleashed on their ranks.

- :puppy: