All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:39 am

Post subject: Harad vs. Dwarves...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'll take any tips you got on this...
I am fielding a mostly Haradrim force, and losing vs. Dwarves.

-Host of Karna (9 coy Harad w/bow + Karna Warband 1 coy)
Two formations of Haradrim Raiders (3 coy w/bow, 4 coy w/spear)
-A formation of 4 coy Harad w/bow w/Betrayer.
-Suladan leading a formation (6 coy). (Banner of the Serpent Lord Fate)
-And a formation of 5 coy Harad with Mouth of Sauron leading it.
-Mumakil w/Harad warriors (this one is new and I have not run the army with it yet.)

Mahud Wartribe
-2 formations Mahud Warriors (3 coy each w/Spear)
-2 formations Mahud Raiders (3 coy w/Blowpipes, 3 coy w/Spear
-2 formations Half Troll (3 coy w/2 HW, 3 coy normal)
-Mumakil with the Mahud w/blowpipes.

He's running both Battlehosts for Erebor, 2 ballista, Gimli, Dain , Floi, and the King's Champion. Oh, and 2 formations of Vault Guards.

Seriously, I have lost each battle. The rampaging Dwarves are killing me big time.
-Maybe got to get up there with the hasharin and duel them? I have Banners and Captains for each formation. Maybe I need to cut them out and add more companies?

Kicking around the idea of adding Arbalesters, maybe 4 coy and putting Betrayer there? Or maybe adding Khamul's Easterlings Battlehost? Or just 2 more Mumakil to make the War Herd? I realize we are playing pretty big points game here. I think we're around 4,000 points, on a 4' x 8' board. What would be great are any suggestions, that are not some power gaming move (or is...) :) , and keeps in the theme of the army I have now.

Tried the Black Breath, Epic Strike, and that worked. Dwarfbane was okay. The one Fate from the rules book that adds +1 to Strength might be ok. Heroic Move and Heroic Shoot. But these are all on the GW website. What I need is a way to lower their courage or defense. What am I overlooking? What can be done?

Post subject: Re: Harad vs. Dwarves...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The biggest promblem of dwarves is their defence!
Ok for the defense you can use shatter shields which can be effective( I know their defense will still be hight but lowering will help and also it will be difficult against dain's battlehost..)
Also another promblem is Floi's and King dain's work... I have thought of this strategy(Not use it) and with epic renewala nd councellor special rule you can have endless might between those two. To this promblem the best solve I can think of is Dwimmerlaik.
Dwarfbane is an excellent idea as you said and you should keep it...
As you said Khamul along his battlehost can be evry helpful ( Redirecting wounds and re-rolling terro teasta along begin easier steadfast)
Also as you said killing the heroes would help a lot especially if you are using the black scorpion venom from battlehosts's fates.
As you have Mahud you and considering tot ake Mumakil you can have the Mahud wartribe battlehost...
So my suggestions are:
-Dwarfbane
-Spells of ruin-Shatter shields(Saruman?)
-Dwimmerlaik
-Khamul's easterlings
-Black scorpion venom
-Mahud's wartribe

Good luck with your next battle and I hope this helped you.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:34 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you for your thoughtful suggestions.

I do like the idea of Black Scorpion Venom. I have to get better at calling the heroic duels with the Hasharin. And I am going to add in Amdur with a bunch of coy of Easterlings. Got Khamul, so he's going in as well. I don't think Saruman will fit thematically with FR. But it's an smart idea. Arbalasters 2 coy, and 2 more Mumakil. Dimmerlaik is a good one too, definately need to get close with him though. But I do not anticipate him being part of the force.

very helpful, it's nice to get a fresh viewpoint!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Very well... I knwo Saruman doesn't stack and if you want don't incldue him if you don't want...
Other option would be Kardush and Druzhag...
Hope they work out... :-D
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:30 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You may not like this advice but I would recommend you drop the Mahud, they're cool models and are very good in SBG but are really dreadful for their points in WOTR and if you keep losoing, it might be a good idea if you drop them all, the only good units in that battlehost are the mumak and half trolls.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah, not being the most experienced with GW game systems. I went by what the book said..., I chose my models by what I thought looked the best. So yeah, Mahud are pretty dang unique. We have discussed the Mahud Wartribe and dropping them. But, I am of the mind to use them to hurl headlong into the Dwarves next game. Use them as a shock force.

Good development over the weekend though. My buddy is going to hook me up with a Mumak, about a dozen Morgul Knights(6 coy), 3 more coy of Haradrim Archers, and wooooo... 1 more coy of Half Trolls. And I am going to drop the Easterlings from the expansion to the force for now.

I will be building the Army of Umbar. Get two coy Black Numenorean Warriors , two coy Corsair Arbalesters, box of Corsairs of Umbar, and Knight of Umbar. See how that goes. After this addition, I will be turning my attention to a new set of evil forces.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Umbar is what I am basing my Fallen Realms force in WOTR around too. Are you plannin on using Queen Berithiel too or not, if so what model would you use to represent her.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I am not using that paticular model. But I imagine something could be found on Otherworld Miniatures UK, or something suitable with cats??? My buddy has a bunch of their minis and they are super nice.

I think to do it all over again, I would have made the core of the army Easterlings. But still included Haradrim for sure. I even found some old Southrons from Harlequin (sp), I think that is who made them. They kind of look like Khand, they have like this turbin on. Few different poses bow and spear, Spearmen have shields, Standards that are like a capital "T", instead of a banner. They are metal too, so that is cool, and they are just the right scale!

The thing is, I do like the Mahud. They look cool and it's nice to have a variety of different models out there. Any suggestions on a modifier to make them better? Higher Fight or Strength. Courage is low, but I got that fixed up a bit with the Banner of the Serpent Lord from FR Battlehost Fates. I think the Camels should have something that counts for Lances for sure. The tusks are just for show in WOR, pretty weak IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

There are two different fates from the battlehost book which can be use to make the Mahud better and fits great thematically - The Warrior Pride Fate (for the Indomitable part) and the Poisened weapons Fate.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Totally agree they are both good fates. However, they are already part of my army. The Half Trolls are Indominable already. And the Mahud in the Howda have poisoned weapons, though their range is suited for close combat.

I think I am going to stick with the Banner of the Serpent Lord, Dwarfbane, and maybe Black Scorpion Venom (for Hashain?). The first two I am set on, the third I still up in the air. I am thinking of something that lowers the Dwarves courage, then use magic to go more after the courage. I need to work on getting the courage down.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Don't give black scorpion venom to a hasharan. what if you rolll a 6 on his silly table and that's a 100pt model sacrificed itself rather than a 50pt model.I would stick with my original choices but guive them to ordinary mahud warriors or raiders if you are stilll keeping them. The banner of the Serpent Lord would be my 3rd choice (unless I had a Mumak warherd - then theres tusk weapons and mumak mahud.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

yeah, that is why I put the "?" in there for Hasharin. hehehehe silly table... funny

I am using that Banner of the Serpent Lord to affect the courage of my entire army. I see that as the must have Fate. I did use Tusk Weapons once, worked out just okay. The Mahud are in the army for sure.

I totally appreciate the tips and insight from you all! Thank you!!!