All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:49 am

Post subject: 700 pt Isengard army
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:58 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

So, this is my first post. Anyhows, I have an Isengard army that I would like your advice on.

700pts.
Saruman
Grima
Vrashku
24 Uruk-hai Warriors (8 with pike, 15 with shield and 1 with banner)
6 Uruk-hai berserkers
6 Warg Riders (2 with bow, and 4 with throwing spear and shield)

I have a rather limited collection of Isengarders right now, with only Lurtz and Ugluk as back up heros, an extra banner, only 2 more Uruks and no crossbowers. I'll be getting a box of Uruk Scouts sometime in the next few months, and I'm considering getting some Dunlendings. Would they be a good idea?

By the way I don't usually play with LoME, but I'm pretty sure this list is legal.

The only guys I play against have Elves (a box of Warriors of the Last Alliance, Elrond, Gil-Galad and Glorfindel:697pts.), and Dwarves (always includes Durin and Mardin with a good number of warriors, some rangers and various other stunted warriors). What would be the best strategy against them with the above list?

Post subject: Re: 700 pt Isengard army
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:08 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Firstly, I love your username, I love werewolves you see.

Secondly, try Isengard Troll, Feral Uruk-hai and Dunledings.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Oh ya, forgot about the Isengard Troll, I have one, but I figured that it would be better to have numbers than a heavy hitter, I don't like that I would be outnumbered byt Elves or Dwarves you see. So are feral uruks any good?

I was originally going to use Carcharoth, but it seems it was already taken, then I was going to use Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs, but it was too long, so I figured Draugluin would have to do. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

1. Yay another werewolf-admirer
2. Elves are not in so many numbers cause they are not so cheap althought fighting Uruk-hai arrive them... An Isengard troll would eb a good idea...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:10 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Uruk-hai can easily beat most of elven armies anyay, superior strength and defence vs superior fight. You'll probably be winning overall.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Umm, when it comes to your next purchase, get as many uruks as you can, and preferably balance out the pike/shield ratio. If you have saruman and grima, you will want to have sharku instead of vrasku and also get a few more wargs. Maybe drop the beserkers for more numbers too...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:22 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Personally i would say drop Saruman, add a Captain, ally between Raiders and Legion and put in the Scouts to get some more bow support. Finally drop the Berzerkers for some Ferals or even put both in the same force, backing them up with pikes and using the right one or two handed attacks when needed (obviously if you plan to use them two handed send the pikes elsewhere).

At the end of the day you can have a fair size force for Uruks, just don't waste points on Saruman and siege kit and fill out troops, cheap Captains (or Lurtz / Ugluk / Vrasku), stock up on ranged weapons (push that bow limit to full 33% if you can) and get in a few elites like Ferals or Wargs.

Or just play for fun, have a laugh and field what you want so long as it is legal by LoME and you enjoy it as a force, like mine :)

'FireKnife'
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:24 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Like I said, I don't have that many models for an Isengard force. I have a models spanning several armies right now, with 4 possible 700 pt armies (all evil) to choose from (Christmas/birthday really helps). I want to just concentrate on Isengard right now, which is why I posted this.

The last time I played with these guys was against an elf army (really just the last alliance box plus the three heros), and I was butchered by the hero's, Gil-Galad and Glorfindel are beasts, and of course Natures Wrath is horrible on pike blocks. They're the main reason I want Saruman in there. Due to time constraints, we didn't finish, but before it was over I had lost over half of my uruks to him only losing 10, with Glorfindel lined up to charge Saruman.

The reason the pike-shield ratio is weird is because a guy I know gave me a good number of models to start off with, including 8 uruks with shields, then I got a box of them and converted 2 pikemen into banner bearers and 1 with a shield into a shaman (which they all look half way decent).

I'm going to get a box of scouts around Christmas (I'm trading the dwarf rangers that I have for them), but in the mean time I'm going to get Thrydan and some dunlending archers. I'm not going to get any crossbows anytime soon because they're all in finecast which is SO expensive.

Don't worry, I definitely still play this for fun and laughs. A failed spell is usually pretty funny (ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ONLY NEED A 2+).

Anyways, thanks for the advice, any more you might have is definitely welcome.