12 Orc Warriors with Two-handed Weapons
12 Orc Warriors with Bows
2 Mordor Trolls

Max numbers and 2 trolls,thoughts?
 Post subject: Re: Mordor 750 points / yet another army
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I would swap some spears over to bows as you will take shield causalities before you hit combat.

That and I do like bows.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i don't really fancy the 1/3 odds of hitting with orcs :/ i might swap the bows for some more shields/spears

plan is bog down opponent with orcs, smash with troll, simples
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

it kinda lacks elite troops, just the thing Mordor has so much choice in. For example: black numenoreans, black guard and moranon orcs.
And it might also be worth it to swap one troll for a nazgul, maybe even a named one (like SL :o).
also you could swap some orcs with shield for some orc trackers; to save some points and for the 4+ shooting.

hope this helps a bit 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:35 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Also, I highly recommend you swap one Captain for a SHAMAN, orcs REALLY need the Fury spell.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Obviously, I don't know what sort of armies you typically play against. However, trolls are generally considered to be pretty bad competitively, as they're very vulnerable to magic. And you can easily field a Hero with magic at 750pts.

Three captains seems a bit... what's the opposite of versatile? Anyways, I would swap one for a Shaman, like GothmogtheWerewolf suggested, and swap the other two for Gorbag and Grishnakh (5pts for an extra point of Might is a bargain).

fritskuhntm suggested getting a Nazgul, I would also recommend one. Or Gothmog. Basically, someone who will be a suitable leader.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

General Elessar wrote:
Obviously, I don't know what sort of armies you typically play against. However, trolls are generally considered to be pretty bad competitively, as they're very vulnerable to magic. And you can easily field a Hero with magic at 750pts.

Three captains seems a bit... what's the opposite of versatile? Anyways, I would swap one for a Shaman, like GothmogtheWerewolf suggested, and swap the other two for Gorbag and Grishnakh (5pts for an extra point of Might is a bargain).

fritskuhntm suggested getting a Nazgul, I would also recommend one. Or Gothmog. Basically, someone who will be a suitable leader.

I would agree with the first part. But don't take a shaman at 750 points. Shamans die really easily at this points' level. Instead, take something with decent stand-fast like a nazgul.

You could make something pretty decent if you swapped the trolls for SL on fell beast and one of the captains for a drummer and the other 2 for gorbag and grishnakh as GE said for a good ammount of expendable might. I would also strongly reccomend dropping the archers entirely (though a tracker detachment on wargs could make a good replacement but it would have to be a decent size which might be tricky with the SL on FB already in and in an army aiming for numbers :/) and swap the front line orcs for morranon orcs. You really, really need some S4 in a mordor army at this level.

Hth :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:09 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

DO take a Shaman.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Im just playing about with the LOME army builder at the moment, ill look into some of the shadow lords, or other named wraiths rules, because i stopped playing until now just before they were introduced
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Here is my advice:

No trolls
Shelob
Shagrat (war leader)
A named Wraith (Prefferably tainted)

Yes the tainted does suck but he makes an excellent combo with shelob, and shagrat is more than capable of holding your army together. But only take the tainted if you are comfortable keeping him away from everyone but shelob. An orc taskmaster is also a VERY solid choice, he gives free might to all your heroes and only costs a tincy wincy bit more than a captain...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:19 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
DO take a Shaman.

Give one good reason why this would be better than a wraith? Charging terrifying units? Good barely have any. And if the opponent is in anyway of form clever, he'll be volleying on the shaman and wounding it on 5+ with S3 bows. In other words, wraiths out-class shamans every time (this is through experience).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:51 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

spuds4ever wrote:
DO take a Shaman.

Give one good reason why this would be better than a wraith? Charging terrifying units? Good barely have any. And if the opponent is in anyway of form clever, he'll be volleying on the shaman and wounding it on 5+ with S3 bows. In other words, wraiths out-class shamans every time (this is through experience).

At no point did I say it was better than a wraith. At 750pts, you should have both. If you used the Undying, you could makwe it so that even the wraith benefited from the Shaman. Alao, if it was a budget wraith (which is closer in pts, it owuld have no fate as well as only one wound, wereas the Shaman has two wounds an a fate. When I sued a Shamn at 500pts, iI found it to be spectacular, it did very well and survived the battle. Not once in SBG have I ever had a wraith survive the battle.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

spuds4ever wrote:
DO take a Shaman.

At no point did I say it was better than a wraith. At 750pts, you should have both. If you used the Undying, you could makwe it so that even the wraith benefited from the Shaman. Alao, if it was a budget wraith (which is closer in pts, it owuld have no fate as well as only one wound, wereas the Shaman has two wounds an a fate. When I sued a Shamn at 500pts, iI found it to be spectacular, it did very well and survived the battle. Not once in SBG have I ever had a wraith survive the battle.

I suggested taking a wraith over a shaman and you disagreed thus you were effectively saying the shaman was better than a wraith. At 750 points, you shouldn't take a shaman. A wraith can do everything a shaman can do effectively just better. And, yes, the shaman has another wound, but the wraith has 3 higher defence and is 3 times as hard to wound by s2 bows and four times harder to wound by s3 bows (which, if you play correctly, should be the only things hitting your wraith if at all) so a budget wraith is actually harder to kill than a shaman even with no fate. The wraith, although without fury, has courage 6 which makes for very reliable standfast (which is all you'll be using fury for really). It also has twice as much will and dosen't have to spend any for standfast. And with your 500 point game, I see you must have played the shaman well and/or been quite lucky but I can almost guarentee a wraith with a couple of might points would have done the job better. Either you must be extremely unlucky with your wraith, or you are playing him incorrectly. As mentioned, it is pretty durable.

Sorry for the wall of text, I just hoe I proved my point :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Does the effect of fury stack? I.E: If i had 3 shamans all affecting a block of troops with fury, does each troop get 3 fury saves????
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:46 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I would think it would.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hmm, an army of taskmasters and shamans would be ridiculous......
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Most of what I'm going to say has already been said but I'll say it again anyways. Please take what I say with a grain fo salt because I've played Mordor twice in my entire SBG experience and both times were back in '04.

First; Orcs with Bows(Unless Volleying and even then) = opponent go :-D Drop them for more shield/spear orcs and form a giant wave.

Second; Consider trading out Orcs with Two-Hand Weapons for Mordor Uruks with two-hand weapons. This would give you some heavier hitters without having models that scream "shoot-me-I'm-gonna-kill-you".

Third; I don't know how you feel about allying troops in, but I would consider allying Easterling Pikemen with a Captain instead of the Orc Bowmen, Orcs with 2-hand weapons and one of the Orc Captains. This would allow you to form a phalanx which you could use to grind down your opponent.

Fourth; Take a Ringwraith, preferably the Shadow Lord on foot. Put him in the center of a large block of Orcs or the center of the phalanx I suggested earlier and now those s2 and s3 bows are basically null and void so long as the Shadow Lord is near. In terms of Ringwraiths Khamul and the Undying are the next best IMO, though I will admit I have limited experience with Ringwraiths in SBG.

Fifth; I have no experience either with or against Shamans of any kind so I'd avoid using them.

Sixth; Trolls..... Not sure what to do with them. I'm tempted to drop them to help pay for the Ringwraiths but I've never seen two fielded in one army list so I am intrigued at the possibility.