All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:19 pm

Post subject: Angmar 500/750pts SBG
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm attempting to turn my miniature collection into some playable forces so I can get into gaming, I began with Angmar of all the places. It's been a while since I made a list and I forgot how involving it can be, anyway this is where I'm at so far...

Warband 1: The Witch King, horse. 3M/14W/3F. --130pts

Warband 2: Orc Shaman, warg. 4 Warg Riders, shields. -- 112pts

Warband 3: Orc Captain, shield. 11 Orcs (1 banner, 4 shields, 6 spears). 1 Spectre. -- 150pts

Warband 4: Orc Captain, 9 Orcs (4 trackers, 4 DHW, 1 spear). 1 Spectre. -- 105pts

Total. 497pts
Models. 37
Might. 8

From what I have read Angmar appears tricky to use at 500pts especially if you want to include a Shade or Barrow-wight, a pain considering their among Angmar's main attractions. The only thing Angmarian about this list now is the two Spectres and I was considering swapping them both for the Morgul Crown. I cant add any more orcs however or swap spears for more shields etc. because thats all I have at the moment.

The other Angmar hero's and warriors that are available to me are The Tainted, The Dwimmerlaik, two Barrow-wights, two Spectres, two Shades, Gulahvar and a Cave Troll. My alliance options are Moria and Isengard. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the 500pts list and recommendations on bumping it up to 750pts with either more Angmar and or Moria/Isengard allies. sound :)

Last edited by BizzareWarstar on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Angmar 500pts SBG - Moria,Isen allies for 750 ?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:31 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Generally, unless your short on models, none of the evil lists need ally as they have virtually everything they need. Do not use Gully unless you have a fast moving tall model to go behing, I think Warg Riders would work, but you don't appear to have them. The Witch-king look lonely, put some Orcs into his Warband. Never use more than one Shade. If you can ally with Moria take some Warg Marauders if you have any, and Moria Prowlers, alternatively Uruk Scouts led by Mauhur. Don't use the Tainted unless you have a specific plan in mind, the Dwimmerlaik's ok at 750 if you have troops for him to lad, Barrow-wights are nice alternatives to Budget Wraiths, Spectres are better npow, but how much use yoou can get out of them depends on you, the W-K is good with the Crown, especially on a horse, (and a Morgul Blade)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Intresting army list...
Warg riders must be used tricky to be succesful...
Two barrow-wights together are very useful...
Tainted is much useful(expect if you play against elves) but he is very hard to be used...
No allies needed, if you use shades use one!
I would reccommend 100% morgul crown 8)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Lack of models was the only real reason I was considering allies Gothmog. I really like the idea of Mahur leading Uruk scouts though and adding Warg Marauders too, both are very fitting.
Hilbert: The Tainted seems difficult alright with his seeping decay, fantastic ethos about him though. Two Barrow-wights would be cool but both would have to form a warband each. Perhaps if they lead more orcs and some spectres they could go well towards forming the 750 list...hmm.

I shuffled things up so i could have two warbands full of orcs. This meant loosing the orcs on wargs but I replaced them with 3 trackers instead, increasing the bow count. The Witch King now has the crown of morgul but his Will is down to 12 and his Fate to 2.

Warband 1: The Witch King, horse, Crown of Morgul, 3M/12W/2F. 12 Orcs (4 shield, 8 spears). - 217pts.
Warband 2: Orc Captain, shield. 12 Orcs (1 banner, 4 trackers, 4THW, 3 shield). - 137pts
Warband 3: Orc captain, warg. 3 orc trackers, wargs. - 83pts.
Warband 4: Angmar Shaman, warg. 60pts

Total: 497pts
Models: 36
Might: 8
Bows: 7

Any thoughts on this list compared to the first ?, I'll be playing a friendly game on sunday with one them to see how it goes. I dont want to buy any more orcs to make the 750 list but if I want to use the barrow-wights or the shade it seems I'll need the orcs for support. I was just mulling over what could be done to make a 750 list with respect to the spirits....

Warband 5: The Shade. 8 orcs. 1 spectre. -- 163pts
Warband 6: Barrow-wight. 4 Orcs. -- 74pts

16pts left, Morgul Blade for the Witch King and 1 more added Will or Fate ? perhaps another Spectre instead ?. Totals 749pts either with 50 models.

OR

Warband 5: Barrow-wight. 12 Orcs. -- 122pts
Warband 6: Barrow-wights. 12 Orcs. -- 122pts

Witch King gets 1 more Fate or Will to make this addition 244pts in total. Plus the 500pts list, the model count goes beyond 60. Totaling 749pts.
 Post subject: Re: Angmar 500/750pts SBG
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:53 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The army overall semms nice but why don't you instead take an ally Ringwraith?
Also I would prefer the second warband 8)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:03 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

cheers Hilbert. To be honest I was so intent on adding spooks to the list I didn't even consider the other Angmar wraiths let alone an allied one. If I was going to add another it would have to be the Dwimmerlaik for theme sake.

how about something like this for an extra wraith...

Warband 5: Dwimmerlaik. 12 Orcs - 192pts
Warband 6: Barrow-wight. - 50pts
Witch King can get 1 more Fate and Will making it 3M/13W/3F or The Morgul Blade. -10pts

+ the previously posted 500pts list totals 749pts

Models: 50
Might: 8
Bows: 9
Will: 29
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:33 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Seems better but still if you keep that and the 500p army with changing the orc shaman for the wraith it will be even better 8)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:52 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I don't understand. Are you saying keep the Dwimmerlaik, the addition 12 orcs and Borrow-wight, but change the orc shaman for another wraith ?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:12 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You could swap the shaman for a budget wraith (no might or fate, 7 will), of course they are better when he named wraith you take is the Undying not the Dwimmerlaik, but you would have to take at least 2 Mordor contigents for that but since Orcs are the same in both lists you could, but it isn't necesary, I found a Shaman to be very useful when on a Warg, patrolling the back of my own troops.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

As Gothmog says, go for a cheap Ringwraith over a Barrow Wight. For 5 points more than a Barrow-wight you get:

- 2 more Will
- F5, S4, D8
- Terror causing
- Effects enemy courage (12" range)
- Access to more spells

You have the Witch King so I wouldn't take the Dwimmerlaik too, especially on foot. A cheap wraith and a Wight would be better. Paralyse is good for neutralising expensive warriors (Half Trolls, Sons of Eorl etc), minor heroes and even the odd F6, 3A hero but for 50 points its expensive, therefore take one in a 500-750pt army. One tip, doesn't waste a Paralyse spell if the opponents hero has Will remaining. Use a Wraith to Sap Will first. The Shade is less effective in hero lead armies, which is what Warbands has turned the game into, far better to take a Barrow Wight + a cheap wraith. Other than that, you have a formidable list!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:38 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

GothmogtheWerewolf: I completely overlooked budget Wraiths, forgot all about them!. Thats why I didn't understand swapping the shaman for one, especially in the 500pts list. I would like to keep the shaman on the warg for the same reason too. Just looked at the Undyings profile, fairly impressive alright. I could live with taking him as a Mordor contingent, and as you pointed out, orcs are also Mordor warriors.

lorderkenbrand: Thanks for the tips. I did have some concerns about the Dwimmerlaik leading a warband with no might and on foot, he seems more suited on a horse acting as fast magical support. I'll definitely work a budget Wraith into the list now, thanks very much.