All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:21 am

Post subject: 600pt Wanderer's in the Wild force
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Looking for a fun, original list to play that has a fighting chance. Is this feasible?

Radagast the Brown - 150
5 Eagles - 450

Strengths
* High Fight, Strength values (excel in combat)
* Eagles cause Terror
* Fast moving
* Renew (gain lost Wounds back)
* 15 Defence 8 Wounds

Weaknesses
* Low might
* Low numbers
* Low number of attacks (just 10 excluding Radagast)
* No archery
* Vulnerable to cavalry (i think)

Radagst has an Elven Cloak and so early volley fire won't affect him. Eagles move directly towards enemy, arriving on turn 2 or 3 (most likely 3). Vulnerable to bowfire across open terrain. Eagles move straight into one side of the enemy. 5 models with 2 attacks and Fight Value 7 should win the majority of first combats, good chance of wounding with Str6. Counter charges more difficult because they are Terror-causing. Should make it more difficult to trap an Eagle...

Radagast will need to play catch up and once there can cast renew on an Eagle. He will be terrifying on a 2+ for the rest of the game. Aura of dismay against enemy mounts. If not then immobilise or renew throughout.

Is the max model limit 60 for 600pts? If so, that's 12 models per Eagle or 15 if one is downed to archery. Quite a task but with Renew and the quality stats that Eagles have it might be possible. Thoughts? How would you take on such a set up?

Post subject: Re: 600pt Wanderer's in the Wild force
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If you are using warband rules wouldn't you need Gwaihir to lead the eagles as the standard 90pts eagles aren't classed as heroes? It looks interesting but I would recommend putting radagast on a horse so he can keep up with them easier. I don't think it would be vulnerable to cavalry as Radagast has panic steed which would take care of enemy heroes cavalry and fell beasts.
A 1000 points GT list I was thinking would be Gwaihir and 9 eagles. Then systematically go form one warband to the next wiping them out in their first 2 turns of arriving. Probably wouldn't work but work but these lists look good fun to play =)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

@Nikrandonia, in the warband rules, a load of eagles led by Treebeard or Ghan-buri-ghan would be a legal army as they are in the same list as the eagles, though I don't think Radagast is, nor do I think he can take a horse.

Personally, I think that could be an interesting list, similar to the ll fell beast army but less overpowered.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Radagast can take a horse. He can in my book at least 8) He can't take any type of troops with him as he is in the white council group. I thought using Ghan or Treebeard wouldn't really work given they have a smaller move rate. I find the all fell beast army will be even more powerful in the new rules considering it will only be around 13 troops that they have to take on when arriving. Eagles (specifically Gwaihir) are overpriced in my opinion given they don't get charge bonus(although I am aware this is up to debate)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:05 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I may have been wrong about the horse, I cannot rember him that well, but I knew which list he was in. I agree with you on the greater usefulness of Gwaihir, but he is underpowered as the Eagles. Treebeard is less underpowered and Ghan-buri-Ghan is cheap, but you are right about move.

I stil think you should try an all eagle list and tell u of its exploits as I'd be intered in seeing how you fared, iand if you managed to perform well with them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

How about Bullroarer Took? He has a horse and average human stats for 40 points. You could some crazy early Shire theme and say the eagles helped him fight off the goblins and wolves (not sure if they actually did or not).

(Hopefully the above was okay to post; if not, please tell me and I'll be more vague about the points value.)

Forth Eorlingas!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oh er going by LOME as I don't have the Warband rules, is Radagast not a Wanderer in the Wild anymore?

Nikrandonia wrote:
If you are using warband rules wouldn't you need Gwaihir to lead the eagles as the standard 90pts eagles aren't classed as heroes? It looks interesting but I would recommend putting radagast on a horse so he can keep up with them easier. I don't think it would be vulnerable to cavalry as Radagast has panic steed which would take care of enemy heroes cavalry and fell beasts.
A 1000 points GT list I was thinking would be Gwaihir and 9 eagles. Then systematically go form one warband to the next wiping them out in their first 2 turns of arriving. Probably wouldn't work but work but these lists look good fun to play =)

I was thinking along those lines too! Maybe Gwaihir, 8 eagles and Radagast (995). The thing about taking Radagast is he can tackle Ringwraiths fairly well, exchanging magic and has 3 much need might points.

Bullroarer Took is an interesting option, I will have to look at his stats and rules again. Ghan Buri Ghan is another cheap option. The thing about having something with Elven cloak means he can reduce the effects of charging, archery and magic so long as he is partially obscured. The Eagles are quite tall and wide and so should provide a fairly large screen. I wonder if a combination of Ents and Eagles would be better (especially at 1000pts)?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

lorderkenbrand wrote:
Oh er going by LOME as I don't have the Warband rules, is Radagast not a Wanderer in the Wild anymore?

I was thinking along those lines too! Maybe Gwaihir, 8 eagles and Radagast (995). The thing about taking Radagast is he can tackle Ringwraiths fairly well, exchanging magic and has 3 much need might points.

Bullroarer Took is an interesting option, I will have to look at his stats and rules again. Ghan Buri Ghan is another cheap option. The thing about having something with Elven cloak means he can reduce the effects of charging, archery and magic so long as he is partially obscured. The Eagles are quite tall and wide and so should provide a fairly large screen. I wonder if a combination of Ents and Eagles would be better (especially at 1000pts)?

Radagast is now in the White council group along with Saruman, Gandalf, angry Galadriel erestor, elrond etc. So he can't lead any eagles or ents or anyone in fact. However, he is still as always, completely awesome and the only wizard I would take for almost any army 8) I would actually prefer Bullroarer Took to Ghan Buri Ghan as Took at least has a horse so would be able to keep up a bit better. Fitting in ents and eagles and Radagast is very difficult given how much they all cost. If you combine them you will be low on numbers. You could do Treebeard and 9 eagles for 1000pts dead, which would be interesting. I like your army of Gwaihir 8 eagles and radagast but it takes away his horse which could be useful in making him mobile. The only way to find out is by play testing. A lot!