All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:59 pm

Post subject: Warhost of Forgotten Arnor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:06 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I've been kicking around this army list for a bit. I have wanted to use Aragorn, Isildur's Heir for a while now, and with the new Arnor list, I thought I'd give it a shot! It gives me a great excuse to convert an Anduril-weilding, elven-cloaked Aragorn.
The idea is that the Rangers of Arnor equipped themselves with the arms and armor of their fathers to accompany the Chieftain of Forgotten Arnor through the paths of the dead. The Grey Company is described as being held together only by Aragorn's will. I thought the lower courage value on the warriors of Arnor would help reflect that quite nicely.
I'm hoping to construct a display featuring the Door Under the Mountain, and I've found a good source for skulls to adorn both the piece itself as well as the bases of the models.

Let me know what you all think (and if you buy the idea, or if you think the theme just doesn't work with the Warriors of Arnor)

600 Points
Aragorn, Isildur's Heir, Elven cloak
6 Rangers of Arnor
6 Rangers of Arnor with spear

Halbarad Dunadan (Captain of Arnor)
12 Warriors of Arnor

Captain of Arnor
12 Warriors of Arnor

39 models, 12+1 bows, with 7 might points+1 (mighty Hero).

It's pretty small, but larger than I thought it would be with Aragorn. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
I can imagine fighting larger evil armies may be a challenge, but given that a lot of the "horde" armies these days require the use of D5, S3 troops, I am less worried about combat casualties. Uruk-hai will be a bigger challenge, but their numbers will be closer to mine, I believe. The banner effect from Aragorn is helpful in combat, and I really like the idea of being able to move my men through difficult terrain without penalty. The great fear, of course, is that a Nazgul can neutralize Isildur's Heir. My hope is that the Elven Cloak will help with that though.
:aragorn:
Thanks all,

Power In Terror

Post subject: Re: Warhost of Forgotten Arnor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Pretty standard 600pts nowt amazing nowt terrible.
I personally at 600pts would not field aragorn and get the twins instead but that is me.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yes it is a rather standard-sized army, but the elven cloak should help with that.

I like the army- use it well, and looking forward to hearing how it does! My advice is make the most of your manuverability, don't pick fights you can't win (unless you have to), and don't let yourself get shot, otherwise your army will rapidly consist in Aragorn sitting behind a bush, waiting for the enemy to close, while everyone else is dead or laying on the ground.

Uruk-hai will be a major issue, as will morannon orcs if you meet them in numbers. Otherwise you have the right type of troop for defeating the horde- a heavily armored, hard-fighting, banner-backed warrior supported with spear (which is advisable). Fight well!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hmmm... i'm in the same boat as you trying to construct a competitive list with Aragorn in the Arnor list.

I've yet to do it! I've even thought of using a theme similar to yours... But so far it hasn't happened for me yet..

Good luck! I think the only thematic way to look at it would be an entire army of Rangers...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

An entire army of rangers (with the twins thrown in, if you want) works surprisingly well in many situations- just remember that you must maximize your shooting before you get to the fight, that way you hopefully outnumber and can swamp anyone you have to fight.

And throwing in Daddy-o (Arathorn) is not a bad idea at all, if you can find the points.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:04 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm thinking the only way to stay satisfied:

Doing a Fiefdom's list with Aragorn + Grey Company support...

24x Rangers with Aragorn + Twins + 6x Rangers of the North is upwards of 650pts!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yeah? and new rules set normal points games from 800-1000pts. Go for it
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

We play 750pts right now!

If we did 800 I could make it work...

The list so far...

Aragorn w Elven Cloak
8 Rangers of Arnor w Spears
2 Rangers of the North

Halbarad
2 Rangers of the North

Elladan and Elrohir with heavy armor
2 Rangers of the North

797pts
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

doesnt look so bad tbh. Infact has some strengths.
I think its thematic and fun!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:37 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

remember that rangers of the north and dunedain are independent heros who are not allowed followers or to be in other warbands and are essentially their own warbands. Also, with the twins, one is declared the leader of the warband and the other counts as a follower so takes the place of 1 warrior allowing for only 11 followers.