All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:55 am

Post subject: Boramir, Aragorn and Gandalf Oh my....
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So, I recently started playing my SBG again and have been having a devil of a time against a few things and was hoping that I could get some advise.

I play Isenguard, Harad, just picked up a Rohan army and may dabble a bit in Mordor and Gondor at some point so I can host a campaign if needed. These problems have mainly showed up in my Isenguard and Harad forces so far but i have a feeling they will translate to the other armies at some point.

#1. Dol Amroth, specifically Prince Imirhil and his ability to be a banner and bunker down in a huge host. I have trouble with my heroes taking him out, and he seems to have enough might and fight value to carry him through the battle unscathed.

#2. Boramir of the white tower and Aragorn the King in the same list. Which I think is a bit of bad taste since Boramir didn't have the banner that far into the books, but whatever. These guys simply wreck me with heroic moves and fights and I don't usually have a might pool big enough to combat it. (Plus as a side note I rarely if ever win the 50/50 roll of for both sides heroic moving)

#3. Wizards, I thought my answer to heroes was a troll or two to keep a good heavy hitter, but then Gandalf shows up and my troll just goes off to kill my own army. I tried taking Sauraman and he kind of helped, but after his staff was broken he dwindled down to useless pretty fast.

I have a pretty good grasp of the mechanics of the game, and I can pretty much buy whatever I need but I don't know how to start to approach these hurdles. Some of the games are close, but when all three of these stars align, or god help me if the Elves and Gil-Galad show up I get bent over pretty quickly.
 Post subject: Re: Boramir, Aragorn and Gandalf Oh my....
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:56 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

How does Gandalf make your troll fight your own troops?... that's not possible :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You're having problems with powerful heroes. The answer is Ringwraiths.
All have 'Sap Will', Drain Courage' and 'Transfix' and the Witch King has 'Your Staff Is Broken' too.

A few rounds of 'Sap Will' will leave even the most mighty hero powerless to resist other spells and wizards are far less scary with no staff.

A pair of basic 55-point wraiths is a pretty effective combo. Many evil players have their own favourite named wraith too, have a look at the Dwimmerlaik's special rules, then think about all the might your opponents are bringing to the table, then laugh your most evil laugh. My favourite is the Witch King, just in case I run into a wizard. The 70-point version is good in a lower point game and in bigger games he becomes a beast with full heroic stats and the Crown of Morgul.

Edit: Yeah, Gandalf can't make your guys fight each other.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Actually, I think it was Galadriel the one time, and I don't remember which spell it was, Command I think? He fought at 1/2 fight and attacks, but it was enough to keep squishing Uruk's due to terrible rolling on my part..

I will look into the Wraiths. As much as I want the Witch King in this force, I want to try and stick with an Isenguard theme, so I may experiment with some standard wraiths, or one of the ones from Fallen Realms.

On the spend extra might note, is Wormtounge any good?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Actually, I think it was Galadriel the one time, and I don't remember which spell it was, Command I think? He fought at 1/2 fight and attacks, but it was enough to keep squishing Uruk's due to terrible rolling on my part..

No spell can do that. I think your opponent was not very familiar with the rules or he was playing a bad one on you.

I don't play Isengard but from what I hear Grima is worth it.
Are you using the new rules that strengthened monsters?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:23 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Knight of Umbar wrote:

I'm pretty sure there is no spell or power in the game that makes you fight your own troops. Command is simply for movement. Give that troll another try...

And I agree about the wraiths...WK on a fell beast...you get casting plus new monster benefits.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Get some powerful heroes of your own! For Isengard how about Saruman, Grima & Lurtz :)

Check out my WIP! :meh:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:42 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Unfortunately, Lurtz is no better than the other Uruk heroes, and brings less to the table.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:05 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Wormtongue is definately very good, just ask about any Isengard player in my nearest GW.

Secondly, as the others have said, NO SPELL CAN MAKE YOU KILL YOUR OWN TROOPS (I don't mean to shout, But it takes too long to do bold)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Even though a troll can't be made to fight your own men, he can be pulled out of the line, surrounded and killed (it happens to Ents facing my Saruman all the time).

:puppy: