All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:16 pm

Post subject: 500 pt Dwarven Army
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In my quest to scour ebay for the models I need to complete my Grey Company 500pt, I picked up a bit of a deal for some Dwarves. Whilst I'm open to trade these for the models I want, I had a few questions in the meantime!

What are LOTR Dwarves like to play, tactic wise?

This is what I have
Dain and Balin
8 Khazad Guard
6 Dwarven Warriors

I would be more than happy to build on this to create a competative 500pt army if I can't trade them, so suggestions welcome, including additional heroes etc.

Post subject: Re: 500 pt Dwarven Army
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dwarves are rock hard - huge defense values indeed, coupled with high fight and good strength. Thw problem is twofold:
1 They don't have spears. This means that two goblins/orcs/whatever, with a spear, can reliably win a fight against anyone but an Iron Guard or Vault Warden. Unless you either convert up someone to go with the new Erebor Dwarf profile or ally in some spearmen, that is.
2 They only move 5 inch. This can be nothing to worry about (in a line up and kill the other scenario), or it can kill you (in a get off the other edge scenario). The solution would be to ally in KoMT as Riders of Dale.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

As Telchar said, Dwarves are extremely durable and resilient. You can count on them to hold the line. The also have good Bowmen in the form of Dwarf warriors with bows (who I prefer over Dwarf Rangers).
Their heroes are very tough and boast the highest defense values out of all Heroes.
Indeed they have the disadvantage of being slow and lacking spear support. I assume that GW will release Dwarves with spears for they are seen in the production videos.

BTW I'd be highly interested in these Khazad Guards of yours if you decided that the fat ones are not your style :twisted:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:43 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Telchar wrote:
Dwarves are rock hard - huge defense values indeed, coupled with high fight and good strength. Thw problem is twofold:
1 They don't have spears. This means that two goblins/orcs/whatever, with a spear, can reliably win a fight against anyone but an Iron Guard or Vault Warden. Unless you either convert up someone to go with the new Erebor Dwarf profile or ally in some spearmen, that is.
2 They only move 5 inch. This can be nothing to worry about (in a line up and kill the other scenario), or it can kill you (in a get off the other edge scenario). The solution would be to ally in KoMT as Riders of Dale.

Thanks Telchar!

Constantine wrote:
As Telchar said, Dwarves are extremely durable and resilient. You can count on them to hold the line. The also have good Bowmen in the form of Dwarf warriors with bows (who I prefer over Dwarf Rangers).
Their heroes are very tough and boast the highest defense values out of all Heroes.
Indeed they have the disadvantage of being slow and lacking spear support. I assume that GW will release Dwarves with spears for they are seen in the production videos.

BTW I'd be highly interested in these Khazad Guards of yours if you decided that the fat ones are not your style :twisted:

Thanks for your response Constantine! If you have something I'm after, more than happy to trade. It's probably better that I just focus on one army since I'm new to the hobby! I'll PM you.