All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:27 am

Post subject: 1000 point Dol Amroth army help!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:26 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello all,
Im a newbie to the forum and am looking for your help.
I really like the look of the Dol Amroth and ideally need a huge 1000 point army based around them, I need a list that isn't too pricey, not exceeding the 175 quid mark! so I might chuck in some rangers and swap their heads for some swan heads from ebob.
Anyway any ideas and any strategies for the Dol Amroth will be appreciated!
Cheers!
 Post subject: Re: 1000 point Dol Amroth army help!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

There isn't much choice if you opt for a force completely made up from Dol Amroth, as they only have knights, men at arms, Imrahil and captains. They have no bows or any form of ranged combat, so they are a force that needs to be allied with another faction (probably Gondor).

Hope this helps,

LordElrond
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:45 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I expect I'll be saying this a lot as the Hobbit brings in new players :)

You'll get further if you provide a list of your own and ask for comments. It takes time to make a good list. I'm not sure about other games, but SBG isn't one where people have *the* list for a faction at a certain point level, there are a hundred ways to skin this cat.

That said, Fiefdoms is mostly metal/finecast, it's going to be pricey unless you proxy/convert almost everything. If you're going fiefdoms centered on Dol Amroth, Imrahil is a must because his banner effect is huge. After that, they've kind of taken some of the punch out of Fiefdoms with the change in the Kingdoms of Men book. Also, with the new Hobbit rules, pikes must back up pikes. So you can no longer make a "ranger sandwich", i.e. backing up foot KoDA with rangers and then men-at-arms. And the BV archers you can take aren't allowed spears.

You could make an uruk-hai-of-Good army with Imrahil leading KoDA backed by multiple ranks of men-at-arms, with some BV archers to provide missile support. Between pikes and Imrahil's banner that would be tough to crack, but the BV archers aren't great IMHO. One cat skinned.

If you don't center on Dol Amroth, Imrahil's potential is wasted, so you might as well stick with the other fiefdoms heroes (Forlong and Angbor), and to get to 1000 points you'll want to ally with someone else. Too many options to consider here, you're really best off picking the models you like and building around that, I don't hate cats enough to skin them all :)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

As whafrog said "fiefdoms are pricey unless you convert/proxy" but their cavalry is good.A good idea while including Dol amroth would be to ally with Gondor
have Imrahil and Boromir and knights with Imrahil and gondor people with boromir.

As for the blacroot vale archers..
well they're a disgrace to all men which is putting it mildly.
But if your opponent agrees you can give the even bows and you have archers that are better than elves because of their speial rule.

The pikemen of dol amroth are nice but not the best.

Also there are other fiefdoms which boast some scary people.For example Angbor with clansmen of lamedon are practically good berserkers.
I have never played with/against Forlong so I dont know about him.

Warriors of the dead can quickly mop up any orcs.
Duinhir is a good objective stealer.

So pure dol amroth is not a good idead.But a combination of all the fiefdoms is a formidable enemy.

Tatics with fiefdoms:
The usual was get the cavalry atack flanks while the clansmen attack the other flank.
Then the warriors of dead charge forward while axemen of lossarnach back them up.
The whole time the black root vale archers are shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:46 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

While agreeing with both Whafrog and Thecow, I would also throw these at you-

Dol Amroth is possible to run as an entirely knight (both foot and on horse) force with Imrahil leading it and rangers for archers. Having used such a force several times to very amusing effect, it is one way to go. Particularly if you are fond of knights and feel like doing a lot of supplementing from ebob.

However...

In my opinion, Imrahil is a must, as is Duinhir, no matter which way you go. Imrahil for the fact that he is the best combat hero for Dol Amroth, Duinhir for being the second-best combat hero and an excellent monster deterrent. Stay away from the archers of the Blackroot vale- they are nice enough, but their special rule doesn't make them worth the price- go with rangers, who are equally good in combat as in shooting.

Best of luck!

And welcome to the site. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:47 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Valamir wrote:
Stay away from the archers of the Blackroot vale- they are nice enough, but their special rule doesn't make them worth the price- go with rangers, who are equally good in combat as in shooting.

Unfortunately Rangers are no longer part of the Fiefdoms list, you have to ally them in, either from Gondor, in which case you're stuck with a 33% bow limit; or Grey Company.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The Grey company woud be a better choice because of their no bow limit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you all kindly, the help is appreciated. I'll see what i can come up with and merry Christmas to you all! :-D