All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:29 pm

Post subject: Beginning an Easterling Army
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi everybody, I'm an almost new person to the hobby and I have always been a huge fan of LotR. The reason I'm an almost new person to the hobby is because I actually played the Strategy Battle Game 8 years ago with my brother, but now I'm back into the hobby and hooked again.

I found a pretty good buy of easterlings and now I'm on my way to painting most of them (very poorly) but I really want to field the army painted or unpainted and play a few games.

So far my easterling army consists of:
3 Captains
3 Banners
32 Swordsmen with shields
32 Archers
24 Spearmen with shields

Possible Allies that I have:
1 Orc warrior Banner
8 Orc warriors with hand weapons and shields
9 Orc warriors with spears
5 Orcs with two handed weapons
4 Orc warriors with bows
6 Haradrim with Spears
6 Haradrim with Bows
1 Mordor Troll Chieftan
1 Mordor Troll
1 Mordor war catapult with troll and 3 crew

At this point the only thing I feel like is a necessity is maybe some horsemen. Like I said, I'm almost new to the hobby so I can get as far as finding the guys I like and painting them, but when it comes to actual army building I'm a little child.

Right now I haven't tried putting much together for my army since I need the Fallen Realms sourcebook first for all the stats and stuff, but I would really like to know what others think would be a good start to my easterling army.

I would like to get some cavalry for my army and I know Kataphrakts are the main horsemen of the easterlings, but I also really like the Morgul Knights because they just look like beasts! Is it possible to have Morgul Knights in an easterling army or is that against the rules? Either way, I will probably get at least one set of Morgul Knights to perhaps make a mordor army since I have so many left over mordor miniatures.

I would also like to get another hero that isn't a captain, like a dragon knight or war priest (maybe even Amdur?) and see where that gets me.

Any suggestions on building an army?

Post subject: Re: Beginning an Easterling Army
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:29 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Looks like you have plenty of warriors, you just need some good heroes. Amdur is great, the war priest is pretty good. The Dragon knight is good, but he's an independent hero, so he can't lead a warband, which makes him a bit expensive unless you have no other way to fill his points worth.
You might also consider Khamul, mounted on a horse or on a fell beast.

I'd say Morgul Knights are better value than Kataphracts, but you need a Mordor hero to ally them in. If you want looks you could use the Mouth of Sauron (he kind of looks like Morgul Knights), but he doesn't really have the Might to lead cavalry. Gothmog could be pretty good, but he's expensive.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Is it possible to use a Morgul Knight Captain to ally in the Morgul Knights with the easterling army? Or would I need a named hero like the Witch King, a Nazgul, or the Mouth of Sauron? Perhaps I could have the best of both worlds and get Khamul mounted to ally the Morgul Knights plus be a leader for the easterlings?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:17 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

With the new edition of the rules Khandish chariots are powerful due to being benefited by the monster rules.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:56 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Dragon from the East wrote:
Is it possible to use a Morgul Knight Captain to ally in the Morgul Knights with the easterling army?

Sure, any hero will do, even a troll chief, so long as they're not an independent hero.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:09 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Awesome, I'm glad I can incorporate Morgal Knights into my easterling army :). Now I'm just going to figure out which heroes I want to use as warband leaders.
Thanks guys