All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:29 am

Post subject: First ever 500pt Mordor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm just starting up a Mordor force, predominantly focussed on Morannon orcs - the like which dwell in Minas Morgul. I'm just a bit stuck on which other units to use. I'm thinking the dark Marshal for his area buff and some Numenorean Terror wall stuff but I'm not 100% sure. Numenoreans only come in packs of 4 so it's a hassle getting them to work in warbands of 12.

Are there any staple Mordor Units I should be concerned about? Should I take Shagrat/Gorbag over an ordinary Orc Captain? Also is the Dark Marshal Mounted better than on foot?

Here's the list so far, ;/

Warband 1 12/12
The Dark Marshal with Horse;
6 Morannon Orc with Shield; Spear;
6 Morannon Orc with Shield;
----
Warband 2 12/12
Mordor Orc Shaman
----
Warband 3 10/12
Orc Captain with Shield;
5 Orc Warrior with Spear;
1 Orc Warrior
4 Black Númenórean
----

Suggestions?
 Post subject: Re: First ever 500pt Mordor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:49 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

IntLemon wrote:
I'm just starting up a Mordor force, predominantly focussed on Morannon orcs - the like which dwell in Minas Morgul. I'm just a bit stuck on which other units to use. I'm thinking the dark Marshal for his area buff and some Numenorean Terror wall stuff but I'm not 100% sure. Numenoreans only come in packs of 4 so it's a hassle getting them to work in warbands of 12.

Are there any staple Mordor Units I should be concerned about? Should I take Shagrat/Gorbag over an ordinary Orc Captain? Also is the Dark Marshal Mounted better than on foot?

Here's the list so far, ;/

Warband 1 12/12
The Dark Marshal with Horse;
----
Warband 2 12/12
Mordor Orc Shaman
----
Warband 3 10/12
Orc Captain with Shield;
5 Orc Warrior with Spear;
1 Orc Warrior
4 Black Númenórean
----

Suggestions?

I'm still a total noob, but, that looks pretty similar to the Mordor lists I've been putting together.

I was also drawn to the Black Numenorians at first, but after looking at the courage values for most of the good lists and the prevalence of Fury in evil lists, I'm not so sure about them. That ties into your next question, the "standard" troop. Looking at the benefits of Morannons over standard Orcs, they seem far superior.

I think for the minimal extra cost, the added might on Grishnak and Gorbag make them far superior to a standard captain. Shagrat is an Uruk, not at orc, so be careful with him and Fury.

I've been mounting all my wraiths. Better LoS for spells and speed to flee if things get hairy.

I like your list. Personally, I like to get 3 full warbands. But it looks solid.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ah, I didn't think about that with Shagrat. I've got a bunch of named captains from the old Battle Games in Middle Earth packs I used to collect, so I'm eager to use them.

Yeah, seeing as most of my opponents will be the new Elves, High Elves and Galadhrim Elves the Numenorean stuff mightn't really be worth it.

I think I'll settle on mostly Morannons, purely because they can stand up in a fight effectively, even though some of their sculpts are awful.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

if you wanna wait a bit longer (till next month) you chould get that force bettewn morannon and gundabad orcs, those things are a bit better vs elves since you re-roll 1s to wound..
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:16 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Galanur wrote:
if you wanna wait a bit longer (till next month) you chould get that force bettewn morannon and gundabad orcs, those things are a bit better vs elves since you re-roll 1s to wound..

Except for all you know, the Gundabads won't be released until August.

Apart from the fact I hate the Dark Marshal, I like the look of your list especially the inclusion a small band of BNs alongside your Morannons which makes your list more flavourable than most. Quite good for a first list too.

8)