All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:33 am

Post subject: Opinion of this 750 pt Isengard
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:29 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

This is just a random one I made up quick. I dont like magic so no Sauruman, and I want to rely on the beastly nature of the White Hand to smear enemies to the ground. I just planned on using their basic cheaper but useful heros to fight and lead.

Warband:
Leader-Lurtz (General)
2 feral Uruk Hai
4 Uruks with Crossbow
6 Uruks with shield

Warband:
Leader-Mauhur
2 feral Uruk Hai
4 Uruks with Crossbow
5 Uruks with shield

Warband:
Leader-Vrasku
2 feral Uruk Hai
4 Uruks with Crossbow
6 Uruks with shield

Warband:
Leader-Ugluk
2 feral Uruk Hai
4 Uruks with Crossbow
6 Uruks with shield

Lurtz is there to be Lurtz, and he has a bow, Mauhur is there to straight kill people, and Vrasku is there too, but he has two crossbow attacks per round. Urluk is another good hero, for his cost, and has the ability to keep models on the board when near breaking.

750 pts.
11 might, 51 models(17 breaking point) and when not moving, 19 shot per round. I dunno, but I feel like a Uruk army with this much fire power, and close quarters strength could easily wipe out a big chunk of an army, and then charge in for the kill.

My first thought it, people will tell me to take out 1 warband and throw in some wargs. I came up with a few alternate lists.....

I really do want to try to keep Mauhur and Vrasku in there though....I like their abilities.

If I switched, Id take out Lurtz warband because he doesnt do anything the rest cant and his bow isnt too special with a weak strength.

If I took that out, id have another 190 pts.
So here are the possibilities.....
OPTION 1:
Warband:
Leader- Sharku on warg
7 warg riders with shield

+1 ruffia to the warband with 11 Mauhur.

Uruk Hai Shaman as a lone hero

OPTION 2:
Warband:
Leader- Orc Captain
8 Men of Dunland with 2 handed weapons
4 uruk crossbowmen

Uruk Hai Shaman as a lone hero

If anyone sees a reason these will fail, or just dont look good at all, tell me. Because the way I see it, I have distance warfare covered, I have close combat covered. I see these guys doing well in most of the scenarios.....

To the Death-they are hard to kill, and good at killing
Domination-Plenty of troops to protect my rear points and win over the middle
Hold Ground-Pretty good with that, they have the ferals, heros, and uruks to go in and kill their way to the objective. Crossbowman can watch the perimeter and kill advancing new warbands
Lords of Battle-They kill fast, and dont die easy
Reconnoitre-Catch them as they leave and hack em up, and shoot the guys who attempt to leave the board with powerful crossbows
The high ground-same old story- they have to get in close- and thats what I want exactly...

Edit:
Looking back on it, Id say my main problem is spear support, but honestly, I plan on shooting through some defenses before crashing the line....

Last edited by LordoftheBrownRing on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Opinion of this 750 pt Isengard
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:57 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Crossbows cannot move and fire, so I would rather have a single war band, led by Mahur, with all crossbows, and free up your other war bands for a bit of pike support.

Are these models you already own, or are you planning the force before you buy? Pikes can support 2 ranks deep, so an Uruk phalanx is kicking off on 3 dice per combat. Pretty tasty.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think it's a solid list as is tbh, and theres no lumping all his range in one basket, its powerful and versatile, high strength, plenty of might,decent defence and good numbers too.
Personally i would have a shaman but then again if you don't like magic this definitely the way to go
Simple yet very effective, doesn't even need a monster!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah I thought about these pikes, and no, I actually dont own any feral uruks or a couple heros yet, but my budget is unlimited(within reason).

Um....by the way I thought the bow limit was 33% for each specific warband, not per force??

Pretty much any army I end up presenting here, I am within reach of putting together in a few weeks to say it simply.

Im just never sure with pikes, because although yes, its cool to see 3 attacks come in, youre spending 180 pts for a warband with the extra pike support. Then comes the idea of them rallying together to form into a unit after you initially deploy.

I could drop some of the crossbows.

Thanks for your advice though bud! Im taking everyones posts into consideration and Ill come up with a happy medium

Grungehog wrote:
I think it's a solid list as is tbh, and theres no lumping all his range in one basket, its powerful and versatile, high strength, plenty of might,decent defence and good numbers too.
Personally i would have a shaman but then again if you don't like magic this definitely the way to go
Simple yet very effective, doesn't even need a monster!

Yeah, the new monster rules are sweet, but every time I practice alone, monster just dont do it. They get swarmed and are a good distraction, but often dont get their points back. The only way to go is a 1000 pt or more force with like 3 monsters or more.

I played a practice with Tom Bert and Bill and all goblins against Elves and Dwarves, and yeah, the trolls were some of the last to die or took a lot of effort from the enemies charge, but man, they didnt even come close to getting their points back. You really have to make sure you only got 1-2 enemies on you with them.

And I dont like magic, but I do like shamans. They are simple, and tactical. I just dont like wizards, wraiths etc. Even elven magic is ok. In this case, I mainly said that for saruman! Darth Sidious nothing!

And thank you for the imput!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Um....by the way I thought the bow limit was 33% for each specific warband, not per force??

No, it's per force- if you ally in another force, the limit is 33% for that force, independently. Therefore.

Isengard:
36 Uruks.

Bow limit 12.

Mordor allies:
12 Orcs

Bow limit 4

If you want to shoot those crossbows, you'll need to be standing still, so it really is better not to divide them so evenly amongst every war band.

Remember- bows can move up to 50% of their movement value and still shoot (albeit at -1), but Crossbows MUST give up their whole movement in order to shoot.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

mertaal wrote:
LordoftheBrownRing wrote:

No, it's per force- if you ally in another force, the limit is 33% for that force, independently. Therefore.

Isengard:
36 Uruks.

Bow limit 12.

Mordor allies:
12 Orcs

Bow limit 4

If you want to shoot those crossbows, you'll need to be standing still, so it really is better not to divide them so evenly amongst every war band.

Remember- bows can move up to 50% of their movement value and still shoot (albeit at -1), but Crossbows MUST give up their whole movement in order to shoot.

Oh, I was under the impression it was per warband regardless......well, thats great to know.

Well, id more than likely still roll two warbands all melee and two with bows in the back. Thing is, I want them with uruks w shields so they can have a line of defense to not get shot or charged.

I truly in my head believe this is a force that can get in a shoot out with elves and win!

My thinking is this year, im going to a tournament, and Im guessing Mirkwood will be huge.

They can try to shoot through my first line to hit my bowmen then either have to hit with a 6 or roll a 3 4 5 to kill which is not that likely. If I get priority the first round, against elves, theres easily 5 dead. Maybe 6. Thats a great start.

Thats not counting lurtz, and thats assuming Vrasku hits on 4s, not the 3+s(heck yeah) his profile shows for shooting! And then after a couple rounds of shooting, I charge the main brunt of my force.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:11 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Vrasku does indeed hit on 3+ He is broken IMO. Best archer than legolas which is stupid.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I know right dude! I read the rules, look around, and slyly tuck them in my pocket and continue eating my sandwich, shifting me eyes side to side.

Then I use him. Lol. 66% chance of hitting and a strength 4 hit! Geez!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Vrasku does indeed hit on 3+ He is broken IMO. Best archer than legolas which is stupid.

Maybe Bard The Bowman takes number 2 spot now? Admittedly he does cost twice as much and can only take a Laketown warband but Vrasku can take a warband of Uruk-Hai. I still feel in pure archer terms Bard takes it with a S4 great bow hitting on 3+, possibility of multiple hits and the black arrow. I quite like Bard from the film so maybe I am being biased 8)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Vrasku always gets 2 shots at str 4 and can lead 12 other crossbows. Bard has the chance to get 3 shots but only if he hits with the previous one.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah im going with a tie.

Vrasku always gets two shots at 3 plus with S4 but he has to stand still
Bard can get off more shots but he has to wound right...
about even. And laketown sucks uruks rule.