All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:51 am

Post subject: warband and spider troubles...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Creating an army of the darkest creatures under the mountains of mist...
i have been confused with some parts of the warband rule that i can't seem to find. Do the members in a warband have to travel together in a group? and if you put calvary (wild wargs, spiders, bats, ect.) and monsters (cave troll, dweller in the dark) how many Goblins do i take out of the warband?

this is important as it will determine how i do Ashrak's spider/goblin army.

If they have to stay together that would limit the spiders movements to a measly 5" each turn.I was thinking of making his army 1000pts, and somehow making it a fast hitting force. It would be a mixture of venom-back spiders (ashrak's special ability) the giant spiders, as well as the new mirkwood spiders. Any additional ideas would help. thanks

(don't suggest any other goblin heroes please, i have finished armies with druzhag, and Groblog already and plan to do armies with the great goblin and Durburz at a later date.)

My WIP
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=27391=50&t=27391
 Post subject: Re: warband and spider troubles...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:00 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Druzhag wrote:
i have been confused with some parts of the warband rule that i can't seem to find. Do the members in a warband have to travel together in a group? and if you put calvary (wild wargs, spiders, bats, ect.) and monsters (cave troll, dweller in the dark) how many Goblins do i take out of the warband?

A warband consists of one hero and up to 12 warriors. When you deploy the warband all the warriors must start within 6" of the hero. However, after that each model can go anywhere they want.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Members in a warband do not have to "travel together" in a game. Since the movement of spiders and wargs are higher than goblins, then they will be able to be the fast attack you want them to be. The only thing with warbands is that they have to deploy as a group. After that they move their full movement each turn however you see fit. After they are deployed, if you have two wargs, two spiders, and 8 goblins with your hero, then the wargs move 10 inches, spiders move ?? (I don't know and am just assuming 6-8) inches, and goblins move 5 inches.

Also a warband is composed of 1 hero and 12 warriors. This could mean a goblin captain with 12 goblins, or a goblin captain with 11 goblins and 1 (cave troll/warg/spider) and you can even go all the way up to a goblin captain with 12 (cave trolls/wargs/spiders). So basically one goblin can be replaced with one monster.

I hope this helps and answers you questions :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Creating an army of the darkest creatures under the mountains of mist...
thanks for the help on the warbands. I remember it was confusing for me when i read the Moria and Angmar book and those we not listed. ( seeing only six riders of rohan in a warband through me off)

(spiders move 10 inches over any terrain)

Another question, should i try and make this army list a 2000 point one instead of 1000?

w1
Druzhag
12 Gundabad blacksheilds

w2
wild warg chieftan
8 wild wargs
4 warg maruaders

w3
(same as w2)

w4
Watcher in the water

i'm 'trying' to stay away from using spiders in this army though... so goblins ( not so many) wargs, bats, warg maruders, trolls ect. (i'm saving the Dwellers for another army...) it's essentially showing how druzhag prefers more beats than goblins. any help on ashraks and druzhags army is appreciated

My WIP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:30 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

2000pts is too large and takes to long to play IMO. I find 1000pts is a sweet spot for games, nice balance of numbers and big heroes.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

well even though 2000 points takes to long to play, it looks really nice in the display case and on the battle field... any advice for the other army?

My WIP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:44 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If you're just going for theme or strictly fun ignore all the following advice lol:

Just gonna throw out there that for a Moria army that doesn't look that competitive. Wild Wargs are not very good as they don't get knock-down or charge Bonuses. And for 1000 points it's just very low numbers, The Watcher is an absolute Titan and has always earned his points back for me but the rest of the army is low-fight and low numbers. Elves or Dwarves especially would probably crush that force.
My advice would be to drop warband 3 and add in Durburz w 12 Moria Goblins and Moria Goblin Shaman with 8 Moria Goblins and Gundabad Black Shield Drum.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

thanks for the tips, i might drop out the second company but replace it with a Gundubad captain instead because durburz will get an army of his own.

In the Moris and Angmar sourcebook it says that there is a war between durburz and the pretenders to his thone... essentially Groblog and Druzhag, otherwise thanks for the advice.

might possibly make two armies for Druzhag then, one for battleing and one for show.

Any ideas about a spider/goblin force? i really want to know if it's a good idea before i buy any more spiders.

My WIP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

you want an alliance bettewn Dol guldur wildness and Moria at 1000pts?

Try this :P

Warband 1
Ashrâk
7 giant spiders(venom back)

Warband 2
Gundabad blackshield captain
6 gundabad blackshields
6 Moria goblins with spears

Warband 3
Gundabad blackshield shaman
6 gundabad blackshields
6 Moria goblins with spears

Warband 4
Spider Queen

Warband 5
10 fell wargs

Warband 6
10 fell wargs

Warband 7
6 mirkwood spiders

warband 8
shelob

1000pts
might: 6
models: 62
break at 31
beasts of the wild(spiders, wargs, giant spiders)(13/20/2)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:13 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

yeah that could work quite well, i figured it would be alike to the haradrim but only better movement speed and no difficult terrain difficulties. thanks for the help!

This army reminds me of ungoliant, all her children are so deadly...

My WIP