All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 10:14 pm

Post subject: Gulavhar and Dweller.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

First off, Ill talk about the Dweller first. He seems, absolutely amazing.
Honestly, put this guy behind a few units till you can get him close enough to charge. To me though, with his giant wings, I dont get why he doesnt fly.

Anyway though, his fight value a 7 for a 75 pt model!!! What other models have fight 7 at any point value. And with that many attacks only a horrible set of rolls will prevent you from winning almost every fight.

In addition, his strength easily kills most troops, his courage almost always keeps him on the field, and his special rules especially the ability to regain wounds, is amazing.

Im wondering if any of you ever played with or against these guys. Let me know! I wanna hear how it went!

Also, Gulavhar seems really cool. Problem for me though, is a few things. Hes a huge amount of point!

He has no fate and a low courage to start for such a hero. With all that terror and size he has, hes a fraidy cat.

He has good rules in terms of offensive power, but somehow I dont think his defense is good enough. And yes, he has a lot of attacks, but if you fight a hero, like an elf, you can tie, and lose easily. Then you take a wound and hes worth less.

Let me know if you guys have seen him in game and if he works. I have serious doubts about him. I have a New in Box version of him I got for cheap but Im not sure hes worth opening. I absolutely LOVE the model though.

Post subject: Re: Gulavhar and Dweller.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:56 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Haven't tried the Dweller yet, but Gulavhar is good, and a lot of fun. As you noted his D is low, so I like to pair him with a bat swarm as both a screen, and so he's not afraid of tangling with even the best heroes. It's an expensive combo, but if you toss in Druzhag it makes for a whirlwind of destruction :)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:16 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'm in the same boat as whafrog. I don't have a Dweller and haven't faced one, so I can't comment on him from experience.

Gulavhar, however, is great fun on the tabletop. I have only used him with pure Angmar forces because of the high point cost. He is squishy, so you definitely have to protect him from bowfire. His ability to fly can help you hop from cover to cover until you can get him into position. I like to use him to hit the enemy's backfield (archers, magic-casters and artillery) or just mow through tons of basic troops. I had not tried him with a bat swarm, so I always avoided enemy heroes if possible.

He's also very good in WotR. I used him with a formation of Ghostly Warriors and wiped out a Mumak in one turn!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:24 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hmmm....thats a nice tactic! Thanks for the responses. If only I can find someone with a dweller!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:58 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Dwellers are a glass cannon. I have seen them rampage across the board several times being practically unkillable but other times I have seen be shot down within a few turns before they get into combat.
Gulhavar is a pain mainly because of fly. His courage doesnt really matter as what good models cause terror? other than thranduil with his magic tiara.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

What good models cause terror? Basically every elf hero of note, ents, eagles, some other good heroes like durin, wizards have terrifying aura and radagast has aura of dismay, the protectoress Galadriel has harbinger of evil (kinda).

And then there is blue v blue to think of.

Edit. And sentinels if they choose to. Not to mention they can just steer him around the board if they feel like it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

well if you send gully at those heroes, then of course he'll perform badly. Send him after the less terrifying troops. Although a wizard causing terror wouldn't cause too much trouble.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

And what happens if you get broken? He's a massive point sink , has no shaman of the same race to keep him around and is a hero. Models like him should be kept for much higher points matches I think, since otherwise their army can be too easily broken. Nazgul on Fellbeast, however, can usually stick around, for example, so IMHO I think his courage matters greatly.

You do have a good point though - good has no models like black numenorians to cause mass terror. (Army of the Dead, maybe, but they are too expensive to be widely used.) A high elf or dwarf elite unit maybe?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

VandalCabbage wrote:
And what happens if you get broken? He's a massive point sink...

He is, which means at < 1000 points, if you take him he needs to be the center-piece of the army, around which much of your strategy revolves.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Fair enough, but I would have thought you would need a big enough army to hold the enemies attention to really let Gulavhar do his thing and cause havoc behind the lines. I suppose it's just a bigger version of going up against Glorfindel at 250 points. Won't be any good for holding objectives though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:42 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

VandalCabbage wrote:
Fair enough, but I would have thought you would need a big enough army to hold the enemies attention to really let Gulavhar do his thing and cause havoc behind the lines.

We're not in disagreement :) I wouldn't take him unless I had a big army (and we've recently discovered we don't really like playing < 1000 points), but *if you did* take him and a small army then you have to do everything you can to get him to eat his points-worth...same as for Glorfindel as you pointed out.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:22 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah what you guys are saying is exactly what I though. I figured Id never take him in less than 850, and thats if that was for fun. In a serious 1000 points balance I might take him. But I would never take a pure angmar. Either way though, if I took him, there would be easily like 3-4 maybe 5-6 warbands of orcs to make up for his large cost.

@Southern Yeah I figured yeah his defense is low, but Id constantly have him behind at least 2 guys to take the bow fire first. And hey if they manage to get a 3+ or a 4+ followed by two 4+s and another 5 or 6+ then they wasted a lot of resources and got extremely lucky rolling so thats just part of the game.

In all honesty if I fielded him Id like at least two but I believe a 750 pt army with 4 of him would be cool.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:23 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Point for point, a Dweller is much more points efficient than Gulavhar, you can fit two of them into your 1000pts list as well with more points to spare. If your really unlucky with one of them, you won't be with the other. Gully is just a little too fragile. Also the Bats plan is the best because he can't actually lead them himself, you have to take a Moria hero, and Gully many not be able to make fully use. Dwellers however are in the same list as Bat Swarms, and whilst it slows down their movement, they can still get around enough.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:33 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

have used Guluvhar with great effect in 1200pt games. The ability to fly over uruk hai pike lines and munch on their banner/shaman is worth it's weight in gold. He does take a bit of finesse as is quite sqiushy but with power attacks he is helped somewhat.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I haven't had the greatest success using gully myself, however I have used dwellers to devastating effect and I have only ever lost 1 ever in a battle, I tend to take them by either 2 or 4 in my 700pts moria armies, they are so effective it's unreal, cheaper than a cave troll, higher fight, faster move, resistant to magic and the ability to recover lost wounds is fantastic, rend has made them all the more frightening as the lower strength value (than the cave troll) is still plenty against enemies with high defence.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:21 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Great two posts guys! Thanks for ideas. I just got a metal Gulavhar for $25