All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:33 am

Post subject: ToS, wraiths?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:43 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Now is the time to start thinking about horrible armies for the summer tournament, and for a few years, the all winged Nazgul army was rightly feared. Now that the points limit is 1000, is the force still a viable option?
My worry is that at that level, there will be too many cheesy elven forces sitting there with legolas waiting to assassinate any and every wraith that comes within 24".
Anyhow, if I do end up taking the list it would end up looking like this:
(all different warbands, clearly)
Shadow Lord, fell beast
Undying, fell beast
Knight of Umbar, fell beast
Betrayer, fell beast
Tainted, fell beast
Witch-king, fell beast, 2/12/2

The whole force can deploy within 6" of the shadow lord, 12" off the home board edge, keep safe from arrows on the whole, and wreak magical mayhem once they become in range of the enemy army. Once the heroes have been dealt with, and any wizards' staffs have been broken, the combat abilities of the fell beasts and the combat wraiths should be enough to finish off most armies. That's the theory anyway.
Thoughts?
 Post subject: Re: ToS, wraiths?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I wouldn't take the tainted.
His special ability won't do you any good, and if you play it right, the enemy won't have any heroes to standfast with. So almost no advantage taking him.
The dwimmerlaik looks like a better option. He has more will to endure a long time, and his special ability is a pain to all enemy heroes. These heroes will have less available might, will be resisting less spells, and will die earlier because of failed fate-saves.

Another thing I would do is exchange the betrayer for khamul the easterling. extra will is very handy, especially when hurling you will have enough to fight and use magic at thesame time.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Bernardo wrote:
I wouldn't take the tainted.
His special ability won't do you any good, and if you play it right, the enemy won't have any heroes to standfast with. So almost no advantage taking him.
The dwimmerlaik looks like a better option. He has more will to endure a long time, and his special ability is a pain to all enemy heroes. These heroes will have less available might, will be resisting less spells, and will die earlier because of failed fate-saves.

Another thing I would do is exchange the betrayer for khamul the easterling. extra will is very handy, especially when hurling you will have enough to fight and use magic at thesame time.

I would have to agree with this, I also think that Khamul is a better option then the betrayer not only for the extra will but the ability to regain will is invaluable for a combat centered wraith.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:52 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It's still very much a viable option. Ed Ball has been running a pure Fell Beast army on the tournament scene for years now and it regularly performs very well. He won doubles with it last year (1000 points, he had 3 Fell Beasts, his partner had a Moria horde) and regularly places top 3 in most tournaments he enters. I'm not sure which 6 he takes at 1000 points but as others have said I'd swap the tainted for the Dwimmerlaik; the only way to beat the wraiths is with heroes and the Dwimmerlaik's ability is absolutely crippling for them.

I should warn you though, with the advent of the monster rules, the monstrous cavalry boost, the clearly underpriced Fell Beasts and the ridiculous special abilities of the named wraiths this list is broken power gaming at it's worst and the army is no fun whatsoever to play against, people won't thank you for bringing it. I guess you have to balance that against your desire to crush all before you :-)

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Kingofkhazad wrote:
too many cheesy elven forces

AHAHAHAA wow what a comment to make when talking about fellbeasts. I will echo what Dr.G said about them being broken and powergaming etc etc

That said, if you really want to optimize your list then swap the tainted for the dwimmerwaik.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That is a shame that rules of Tainted are kind of bad. I like the model so much :'(
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:23 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

As mentioned before Khamul is a must! I was ecstatic when they released him so very long ago, he's always been my favorite Wraith and his rules really (to me) fit him. On Fell-beast he is by far the best wraith as his combat abilities far exceed all the others

MiniWargaming