All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:52 pm

Post subject: Help with Gondor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:10 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi everyone i was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for gondor at either 500 or 700 pts, although preferably not much cavalry.

Many thanks JOH177

Post subject: Re: Help with Gondor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hey mate, it depends what kind of army you'd like to build. Gondor has so so many options: from heavily armoured elites like the fountain court to hoards of basic warriors of Minas Tirith to Osgiliath Veterans and rangers of Ithilien.

I'd suggest having a watch through the films and thinking about which parts of the Gondorian forces and which heroes that you'd like to include in the army.

Once you've got an idea of what to aim for we can help you make lists and find the best ways of using them in games :)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:26 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well my absolute fave in the films fluff and rules are the GOTFC but i dont want to spam them and you can tell by my pic who my favourite hero is :P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Basically, take Boromir, Denethor and Beregond with as many troops as you can. 1 warband of rangers and 2 of normal warriors with shields/spears and shields.

I know this doesn't have any elites in but it is hard to do that with such an expensive hero in your army.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If you want to use Boromir at 500pts I'd recommend using the fellowship version. Although this means he can't lead warbands, the CotWT version is very expensive at this level. This could be a potential list :)

500pts

Warband 1 -
Boromir of Gondor
Horse

Warband 2 - 157
Cirion
6 WOMT with shields
6 WOMT with shields and spear

Warband 3 - 113
Beregond
8 Guard of the Fountain Court
Shields

Warband 4 - 114
Damrod
5 Rangers
6 Rangers with spear

It's fairly balanced list and comes to 499pts, it's got a core of infanty, some elite troops with the fountain guard, and some ranged support from the rangers (who can also get stuck in with the enemy if required). Is this the sort of thing you were looking for?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:56 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

LordElrond wrote:
Basically, take Boromir, Denethor and Beregond with as many troops as you can. 1 warband of rangers and 2 of normal warriors with shields/spears and shields.

This is definitely a good starting list, decent to learn with, and relatively cheap to build since the warriors are all plastic. You can always add FC later, led by Denethor, and add Damrod to lead the rangers.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:42 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If you wanted to include the models you like GOTFC and Boromir how about this

WB1
Boromir of the white tower with shield
6 WOMT shield
6 WOMT spear and shield

WB2
Damrod
7 Rangers
3 Rangers spear

WB3
Denethor
6 GOTFC

WB4
Peregrin, Guard of the Citadel.

Total 500 points

It's an army built around character rather than just brute force. It would be fun to play. You could always drop pip and upgrade your GOTFC to shields and add a couple more warriors to that warband.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I play with a Minas Tirith army most of the time, and what I basically do is create a frontline of Minas Tirith Warriors with shields, then add Citadel guards + spear and Rangers with spear to support this line. This way you have a line of F4/D6 warriors, which is IMO more effective than having Defense 6 spear support at the cost of Fight 4.

I always add 3 or 4 knights, they are very effective at killing single warriors without support (I find charging more than 1 enemy with 1 knight to be a bad decision most of the time, unless you're facing Fight 2 goblins ;).)

GotFC with shields are also great (use them against Strength 4 heroes etc), although I don't field more than 3 most of the time.

As for heroes, Beregond and Damrod are a must have in almost every army because they are cheap and able to lead troops. I'm not a fan of using Denethor though, unless you are already using both Beregond and Damrod.

I also prefer Madril over Cirion, because he has a bow and his reinforcements rule is extremely useful in some scenario's!

Now that Faramir can have a shield he's become waaay more useful. If you mount him on a horse with a lance he can be very effective at killing units, while his D7 gives him some extra protection, which means he could be chosen as your armyleader ;)

Unfortunately Boromir Captain of the White Tower is never worth it's points IMO, I wouldn't even field him in a 700p army list. Boromir of Gondor is very good though! His 'weakness' of not being able to field troops can be negated by using Beregond and Damrod. He's better at 500 points than 700 points because you'll see less wizards.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Boromir is a great hero but really pricey, although he is a beast in combat
I have enjoyed having Boromir & Faramir in a list but it’s quite a significant investment in my current army
Warband 1
Boromir of the white tower with shield
5 WOMT shield
5 WOMT spear and shield
1 Guard of Fountain Court

WB2
Faramir – Heavy Armour with Shield
5 WOMT shield
4 WOMT spear and shield

WB3
Damrod
6 Rangers