Balin with Durins Axe
6 Khazad Guard
6 Iron Guard

Floi Stonehand
6 Khazad Guard
6 Iron Guard

Murin and Drar
I can fit 4-6 Vault warden teams

Problem is im stuck with warbands amount and final troops. It costs 617 pts for that list without the vault wardens. Its a 750 pt list.

I never made a dwarf army before, but I own all these, so is this a decent army. Ive never been a fan of the dwarves but I recently acquired almost this entire army lol. Thoughts?

I own Dain, Balin, 17 Iron Guard, 23 Khazad Guard, 6 vault warden teams, and some various dwarves. 12 of them.

And a box of rangers but ill be getting rid of them on ebay.

Post subject: Re: Help Style/finish my Durins folk
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:56 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

vault warden teams sounds nice but hmm... if the target got shooting they always want in the wayfor the spear guy, thew shield suffers penelty winning fights then...despite being hard to crack still....

If you could get erebor just for spear/shield support line, defence 7 dwarves is very sturdy and gives you numbers...
Also you dont need those many Iron guards its expensive each for defence 6..
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:42 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Galanur wrote:
vault warden teams sounds nice but hmm... if the target got shooting they always want in the wayfor the spear guy, thew shield suffers penelty winning fights then...despite being hard to crack still....

If you could get erebor just for spear/shield support line, defence 7 dwarves is very sturdy and gives you numbers...
Also you dont need those many Iron guards its expensive each for defence 6..

Not sure what you mean with the first half of that....

As for the second, yeah defense 7 is nice but a line of 6 troops and spear support is significantly more costly with pts....oh, and money lol thats why I do Durins folk.

How many Iron Guard do you think for a 750 pt army?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:45 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Vault Wardens are great. Just be a little bit of a stickler for LOS with them as you actually cannot see the body/head of them if you position them behind the Shield properly so they cannot be shot. Most ppl play WAY too lenient with LOS compared to RAW. (look at all these wonderful abv's lol)

I wouldn't recommend Floi, he's solid, not amazing. King's Champion is a must. I also like Dwarf rangers, selling them is a mistake IMO, regular dwarves with shield are very good, gives you additional tactical options as they can shield (as opposed to Khazads).

Taking Iron and Khazad armies limits your numbers too much, I never take (in less than 1000pts) more than 8-10 of them combined, but I do take Dwarf Rangers with DLB's and regular dwarves with shield as well as Vault Wardens too. So a very versatile army that can do a bit of everything at the 750 point level. That's my tip.

Dain, Balin w Axe, King Champ and a captain should be your first hero choices at this level. Or drop Dain and the Murin & Drar for 6 might to lead your Rangers, works really well. Because even though the rangers out range Drar, as the enemy advances your fire-volume increases with 2 strength 3 shots! They're pretty good

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:17 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

What do you like about the Rangers so much? Their bows? Seems expensive 3 extra points cost each wow....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

its a 24" bow from a D5 ranger.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I didnt realize their to hit roll was so low. I guess I can see the pts coming in now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:47 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The +3 points is because it negates one of the greatest Dwarf weaknesses, range in every form. The bow is worth 1 point, but the ability to out-range most evil archery (which is what it was originally intended for) is HUGE and the ability to return fire as soon as you're being shot at is hugely helpful in deterring your opponent. One thing to remember is the psychological factor as well as the actual in-game kills. A wood elf archer is far less likely to move up and take a shot at your troops if the controlling player knows you can shoot him back.
In addition for some reason opponents seem to forget it, I cannot tell you the number of times people try to skirt my army outside of an 18" Dwarf Bow range only to have my rangers pop off several shots into them and kill a few before driving the rest away.

Also paint them forest-y colors and park them in the woods on your flank and don't touch them for several turns, I've had many opponents literally overlook them because they're smaller and matched the color of the woods they were in, odd I know but its happened repeatedly.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thats sooooo funny and I believe its true! People overlook stuff like that. I would even go so far as to paint them like military camo
Nobody would ever know!