All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 1:15 am

Post subject: Minas Tirith, Laketown, Shire 600p
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi.
Wanna try out some new stuff so devised an army which includes things i wanna try.
I wanted some hobbits in it so included the ones i have.
Going to Proxy the laketown stuff, yes Alfred is there but simply because I wanna se what he can do.
I also wanted to try and mix him with something diffrent so I looked around and thought what hero really needs more might.
The first answer were rangers of the North (mounted) which I have also done an army with Alfred, will post later, but the second was the Knight of the White Tower so i included him here.

Warband 1
Knight of the White Tower
5x Warriors of Minas Tirith with shield
4x Rangers with spear
2x Citadel guards with spear
Warrior with banner

Warband 2
Cirion
5x Warriors of Minas Tirith with shield
4x Rangers with spear
2x Citadel guards with spear

Warband 3
Meriadoc
8x Hobbit militia
4x Hobbit Archers

Warband 4
Bard the Bowman

Warband 5
Alfred
5x Warriors with sword
5x Warriors with spear

Bodies: 50

Alfred will boost the Knight of the White Tower so ha can Epic strike against enemy heroes and use might to win.

What do you Think?
have fun
slaktarn

Post subject: Re: Minas Tirith, Laketown, Shire 600p
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wouldn't Peregrin be much more themed, seeing as he's the Guard of the Citadel and all...

The Laketown portion of this army is entirely out of place, thematically. I take it you're doing it for Alfrid's contribution?

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Since you obviously arent considering fluff in this, competitively your army will suffer some disadvantages. The laketown guard and hobbits are cool for numbers but they really really suck in combat. They will die in droves and lose most of thier fights. This usually would mean that you have to kill the opposing models with archery to make your numbers an advantage, and luckily you have a fair bit of archers.

If you want your hobbits to be useful, switch the militia to sherriffs. Those staffs they have will give opposing heroes and monsters a headache as they effectively get transfixed everytime you win the fight. I understand the choice of Merry if you are upgrading the hobbits to have +1 strength, but it doesnt seem that you did that here. Otherwise im not sure why you included him over Paladin who can standfast your army better when your weak troops get slaughtered in close combat.

Using alfred to boost the White Knight is a great idea. Personally I think that he will offset the White Knight's main weakness for just 20 points. Bard is also a great pick.

Overall you will have to use your archer to your advantage to win. And make sure the laketown guard and hobbits are kept out of equal fights (they always need to overwhelm.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Why I use Merry is because that is the model I own with armour, dont have Pippin in armour or any other hobbit character that can lead warbands, I have lots of fellowship models however, might use one of them.
I was also going to uppgrade the Hobbit militia to S3, dont know why i changed it, must have done it at some Point without realising it, have to make som Changes.

If I was going to make this army more competetive I would probably take away the hobbits and add more Minas Tirith models, depending on how I like Bard he might go or stay. But the Knight and Alfred I belive will work out fine together.

When it comes to theme, no I dont really care to much but I have a special view of it, I like to Think about "what ifs" as themes, and especially that an army list writes its own story. Just because lits comes from diffrent realms does not meant that they are unthematic in my opinion.

Look at the fellowship, it is made up of individuals from diffrent realms that should not fight together but they do.

In my list, Bard and Alfred are at Minas Tirith to establish some new trade routes, Merry is there to visit his friend Aragorn. Ok the timeline might be a Little screwed but hey, thats what imagination is there for.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

slaktarn wrote:
When it comes to theme, no I dont really care to much but I have a special view of it, I like to Think about "what ifs" as themes, and especially that an army list writes its own story. Just because lits comes from diffrent realms does not meant that they are unthematic in my opinion.

Look at the fellowship, it is made up of individuals from diffrent realms that should not fight together but they do.

In my list, Bard and Alfred are at Minas Tirith to establish some new trade routes, Merry is there to visit his friend Aragorn. Ok the timeline might be a Little screwed but hey, thats what imagination is there for.

Right, like I'm imagining the rotting carcasses of those two long-dead Lakemen could totally troll for new trading partners! :lol:

I kid, I kid. I see Alfrid in a lot of lists now, and I understand it's because he's got a good special rule and whathaveyou. It's just worrying for game balance when a mini is so good and so cheap that he becomes ubiquitous no matter what army is being played.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:09 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I personally don't see a problem with these 'unfluffy lists' seriously Alfred could count as the kings' councillor, bard could be the man training all the archers of minas tirith, the lake town men could simply be another group gondorians perhaps a fiefdom etc...

I support what Slaktarn said.
Why do we have such issues with imagination. Is it not a hobby mean't to celebrate creativity? For instance I use Stargate models to represent my castellans of Umbar, this fits my vision of what these troops should look like and makes a really cool looking army with a fictional Egyptian edge to my army.

I like the ideas behind this list.
The idea of KoWT+ Alfred combo seems good to me, also it makes use of an under used model. Also there is a nice amount of F4 units in there as well as a few bodyguards but they are diluted badly due to the hobbits. And to finish I think have S3 all round could be difficult to kill stuff(even more so with the S2 hobbits)
I would switch cirion for forlong is you have the model, also clansmen of Lamedon are a good shock troop