Mounted Rohan 29%  29%  [ 6 ]
Goblin Town 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
Hunter Orcs 52%  52%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post subject: Vote on an army
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Tell me which you'd choose. Im going to a 300 pt tournament, ive been through a bunch of armies and I feel like these are my 3 best choices.

Choice 1- ROHAN
Mounted Captain-
8 Riders of Rohan
Mounted Eowyn-
8 Riders od Rohan

Choice 2- GOBLIN TOWN
Grinnah-
10 Goblins
Goblin Captain-
10 Goblins
Goblin Captain-
10 Goblins
Goblin Captain-
8 Goblins 3 with 2 handed axes

Choice 3- HUNTER ORCS
Hunter Orc Captain on warg-
2 hunter orcs with 2 handed axe
9 hunter orcs, 6 included have bow
Hunter Orc Captain-
2 hunter orcs with 2 handed axe
10 hunter orcs, 6 included have bow

THE SCENARIOS ARE TO THE DEATH, HOLD GROUND, AND LORDS OF BATTLE.

Post subject: Re: Vote on an army
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

No idea what any of this means as I've never played a game or even picked up a rulebook before. But solely on 'paintability', I would go with Rohan every time!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Whoops, I voted (with some bias) for all mounted Rohan, without reading the post or scenarios...

To the death - All round, all three lists have pretty fragile leaders, so a big chance of giving up those VPs. Quite easy to break the Rohan list, numbers on your side a bit more with the other two lists. No list has banner so that doesn't matter.

Hold Ground - Rohan list tough for this, benefits numbers swarming the middle. So last two choices are better options.

Lord of battle - Rohan force doesn't give up as many VPs. With this being the last scenario, better to be strong for this one as your more likely to play a stronger opponent if doing well.

In all honestly, hunter Orc list seems the best bet in some ways (in my opinion). Lot's of attacks, f4... soft yes but can give a lot out in return. Possibly best suited to the three I think.

Maybe try this instead...

Fimbul the Hunter (fell warg)
12 Hunter Orcs

Narzug (fell warg)
10 Hunter Orcs (4 bows)

Two named heroes for two extra might, both mounted for the movement, knockdown and both with special rules. Removing most of the bows, you're not going to do too much with the 5+ str2 bow, since you won't have loads of them at this points cost and the real strength of the hunter orc is the 2 x f4 attacks in combat, so you want them getting stuck in.

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:51 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wise Old Elf wrote:
No idea what any of this means as I've never played a game or even picked up a rulebook before. But solely on 'paintability', I would go with Rohan every time!

LMAO! Got ya. Its simple, but I personally want to do my hunter orcs and have an excuse. But Im in this topic just for useability's sake.

Thermo wrote:
Whoops, I voted (with some bias) for all mounted Rohan, without reading the post or scenarios...

To the death - All round, all three lists have pretty fragile leaders, so a big chance of giving up those VPs. Quite easy to break the Rohan list, numbers on your side a bit more with the other two lists. No list has banner so that doesn't matter.

Hold Ground - Rohan list tough for this, benefits numbers swarming the middle. So last two choices are better options.

Lord of battle - Rohan force doesn't give up as many VPs. With this being the last scenario, better to be strong for this one as your more likely to play a stronger opponent if doing well.

In all honestly, hunter Orc list seems the best bet in some ways (in my opinion). Lot's of attacks, f4... soft yes but can give a lot out in return. Possibly best suited to the three I think.

Maybe try this instead...

Fimbul the Hunter (fell warg)
12 Hunter Orcs

Narzug (fell warg)
10 Hunter Orcs (4 bows)

Two named heroes for two extra might, both mounted for the movement, knockdown and both with special rules. Removing most of the bows, you're not going to do too much with the 5+ str2 bow, since you won't have loads of them at this points cost and the real strength of the hunter orc is the 2 x f4 attacks in combat, so you want them getting stuck in.

Hope that helps!

Ah I hoped youd comment considering youve dealt with many scenariors like hold ground you didnt seem to enjoy.

I thought about exactly what you said for the Hunter orc list. Unfortunately, I dont have em, and Im short on cash for the moment. No way Ill be getting named heros. I did want to do that though :roll:

But between the bows at 50%, the fight 4 2 attacks, and the amazingly cool look of this army, I was leaning toward them as well. Plus someone else, I think SouthernDunedain guided me on them in another topic.

As for the bows let me ask your opinion on this.

Im noy buying anything new for the tournament. Ive modeled what hunter orcs I picked up off ebay (odd number) to include this:

4 with two handed axes
2 with sword and club for stun(may add more of these :no: )
6 with sword and axe
12 with basic two swords
1 with club and weird other weapon

Im going to make two look like captains and using this troop of guys I have I made the army to be just under 300.

So you think I should leave it, or should I actually just take the bows away and put the other captain on a warg?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:51 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I agree with the Hunter Orc army suggestion, though I would never ever ever give a Fell Warg to a generic Hunter Orc Captain, silly idea, Hunter Orc Captains always go on foot, if you wanted mounted take a named Hero.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:54 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Youll see why if you read the end of my last post^ Sorry....I love this hobby, but Ive spent my budget till at least summertime on models for now till I sell a lot of em back on ebay and put it in my bank account, pay bills, and take care of other things.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:03 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Youll see why if you read the end of my last post^ Sorry....I love this hobby, but Ive spent my budget till at least summertime on models for now till I sell a lot of em back on ebay and put it in my bank account, pay bills, and take care of other things.

I started posting before you replied and didn't read a word of it. If you don't want a named Hero, just field them both on foot then.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I was kind of going for the idea that they were a distraction for bowfire leaving my other troops to close in easier.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I agree with Thermo and definitely reckon you need a stronger hero in which ever list you end up taking.
I'd suggesting replacing the captain for Erkendbrand in Rohan list then upgrade a few riders to red shields.
Then the list Thermo made for the hunter orcs is as good as it gets I think.

My W.I.P - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28062
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:45 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah I thought about Erkenbrand. I do own him. Hes great for his points

But see the other posts for the Hunter list^