All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:04 pm

Post subject: Effective All Archer Army?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I am trying to make up a force entirely or near entirely of archers for an 1000 point list.
Though even if all archers it still needs to function in combat well enough, so spears are a must and as well a decent model count thats not to low and maybe a couple of heroes that could preserve the low defence models/give a combat advantage.
This is so far my idea for the list.

Warband 1
Elrohir & Elladan (Heavy Armour, Elf Bows, Horses)
- 6 Rangers of Arnor (Spears)

Warband 2
Malbeth the Seer
- 10 Rangers of Arnor (Spears)

Warband 3
Ranger of the North (Spear, Horse)

Warband 4
Ranger of the North (Spear, Horse)

Warband 5
Ranger of the North (Spear)

Warband 6
Ranger of the North (Spear)

Warband 7
Thranduil (Armour, Elf Bow)
- 12 Mirkwood Rangers

Warband 8
Legolas (Amour)
- 9 Mirkwood Rangers

The idea would be deploy back as far as possible then to run Malbeth and his Arnor Rangers and 2 Rangers of the North with Thranduil and his Mirkwood Rangers so that there is spear support for the Elves. Then there is Thranduil's Nature's Wrath and Aura of Dismay in conjoint with Malbeth's 5+ save roll.

The Twin's Rangers of Arnor will deploy with Legolas and his Mirkwood Rangers for spear support. The Twins will run off with the 2 mounted Rangers of the North as flanking force.

So thats the general plan. If anyone can think of a better force or any adjustments or change of game plan that would be sweet!

ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME!

My W.I.P - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28062
 Post subject: Re: Effective All Archer Army?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:49 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I am planning a similar list for an upcoming tournament.

It is

Tauriel
11 Rangers

Legolas (Armour, Cloak)
10 Rangers

Arathorn
12 RoA 6 w/ spear

Halbarad
12 RoA 6 w/ spear

2 RoN
2 RoN w/ Spear
2 Dunedain

Alfred.

55 bows shots per turn, 18 might and some decent combat heroes. In its only practice game, it decimated the opposing harad force. Broken just from shooting.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Now all this is just my opinion, but I feel like your list is a bit small for 1000 points. You have only 45 men, and that will be easy to break for an opposing 1000 point list. At that size, you must expect the big boys like Mumaks, Ellessar, Azog, Dragons, etc, and I feel like they will break you in no time. especially since your entire force has weak defence (half of your army is Defense 3!). Goblins get slain in droves with these defense values but they at least have numbers on thier side. Malbeth will help, but I cannot expect him to save your army.

I know you added spears for support in your army, but you should still expect to lose alot of fights. You have no banner, no effective way to pull off enemy supports besides a couple Heroes, you have limited attacks, and even if you win, your strength is 3 on for the most part which will mean you will have a hard time killing enemy models with 6+ defense while they kill you easily. Thranduil may help but his Natures Wrath is one time use, and Aura of Dismay will not keep you safe forever though it will help.

Ultimately this force will require you to spread out since your opponent will start halfway up the board and a simple Heroic March will close the distance. Therefore spreading out is the only way to avoid second turn combat. This will make Aura of Dismay and Malbeth's farsight limited on who you can protect. But if you don't, you will only get one, maybe two turns max, of shooting before you fight.

Personally I would trade Elladan and Elrohir for Halbarad with a banner. This will not only save you a lot of points to spend on more Mirkwood rangers or another RotN and 4 Rangers, but also give your main fighting force a much better chance in combat with the re-roll being used for the Elf since they have Fight 5. I cannot recommend any other changes without re-thinking the whole force.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

SouthernDunedain wrote:
I am planning a similar list for an upcoming tournament.

It is

Tauriel
11 Rangers

Legolas (Armour, Cloak)
10 Rangers

Arathorn
12 RoA 6 w/ spear

Halbarad
12 RoA 6 w/ spear

2 RoN
2 RoN w/ Spear
2 Dunedain

Alfred.

55 bows shots per turn, 18 might and some decent combat heroes. In its only practice game, it decimated the opposing harad force. Broken just from shooting.

Hahaha that's the list exactly bar alfred that I made first beforeIi decided to use Thranduil and the twins instead which of course made me sacrifice a few RoA. I could still grab those rangers back by switching out the Twins for Arathorn but I like having a Heavy armoured heroes on horse which I would then lack with the Twins gone.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

legion wrote:
Now all this is just my opinion, but I feel like your list is a bit small for 1000 points. You have only 45 men, and that will be easy to break for an opposing 1000 point list. At that size, you must expect the big boys like Mumaks, Ellessar, Azog, Dragons, etc, and I feel like they will break you in no time. especially since your entire force has weak defence (half of your army is Defense 3!). Goblins get slain in droves with these defense values but they at least have numbers on thier side. Malbeth will help, but I cannot expect him to save your army.

I know you added spears for support in your army, but you should still expect to lose alot of fights. You have no banner, no effective way to pull off enemy supports besides a couple Heroes, you have limited attacks, and even if you win, your strength is 3 on for the most part which will mean you will have a hard time killing enemy models with 6+ defense while they kill you easily. Thranduil may help but his Natures Wrath is one time use, and Aura of Dismay will not keep you safe forever though it will help.

Ultimately this force will require you to spread out since your opponent will start halfway up the board and a simple Heroic March will close the distance. Therefore spreading out is the only way to avoid second turn combat. This will make Aura of Dismay and Malbeth's farsight limited on who you can protect. But if you don't, you will only get one, maybe two turns max, of shooting before you fight.

Personally I would trade Elladan and Elrohir for Halbarad with a banner. This will not only save you a lot of points to spend on more Mirkwood rangers or another RotN and 4 Rangers, but also give your main fighting force a much better chance in combat with the re-roll being used for the Elf since they have Fight 5. I cannot recommend any other changes without re-thinking the whole force.

I have never played with a force over 50 models in a 1000 point game and it's never really been a problem before and even if I am up against a 60 model or so force. I will at least get 2 turns if not 3 in of shooting (can always back-away and shoot) with my 47 shots I will be killing about 8.6 (defence 5, at D6 its just over 7) a turn I believe, thats 17-27 dead before they get to me and now I have numbers in my favour as well as a higher fight value. Once the lines clash a natures wrath and I can surround most of them and gain a further advantage. So as long as no uber hero goes on a rampage then this should work in theory. Elladan and Elrohir with the two mounted rangers are for monster/uber hero distracting/killing.

Also with deployment It would be best to deploy together to to benefit best from the 12inch channelling Aura of Dismay. It would also mean if numbers ain't on my side he would struggle to get his entire army for at least the first turn or two of combat fully involved because mine will be concentrated.

The banner may be a smart one though, I could drop something for it. However I don't want to drop the twins because I don't want Malbeth or Thranduil in combat because of their magic and Legolas needs to shoot not fight. So leaving Halbarad at the back of the line with a banner would mean my 4 major heroes are all supporter, with only the Rangers of the North in combat against guys like Azog and Boromir... that doesnt sound good :/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

After re-thinking about my post based on your comments, I'd have to agree with you. Your force should actually be fine for a standard match. If you truly bring down 20+ models, you should be outnumbering your opponent. At that point, the fights should be in your favor.

I still think Halbarad would be a great add but I understand why you don't pick him since it would limit your options of fighter heroes to just Rangers of the North
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Personally, you should go with all Elves. Their bowfire is just superior and those Mirkwood Rangers are HARD to kill.....trust me. I played against them once and I lost so many Morannons to kill a small force of them. Their extra attacks rule is huge.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:29 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Personally, you should go with all Elves. Their bowfire is just superior and those Mirkwood Rangers are HARD to kill.....trust me. I played against them once and I lost so many Morannons to kill a small force of them. Their extra attacks rule is huge.

I agree however I don't have 40-50 Mirkwood Rangers haha damn expensive they are!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:53 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Please just don't include Alfred. Such horrible, unthematic cheese. Really really wish GW hadn't dropped the ball on his special rule

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:42 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

JamesR wrote:
Please just don't include Alfred. Such horrible, unthematic cheese. Really really wish GW hadn't dropped the ball on his special rule

Don't worry I ain't the kind of guy to go for mega cheese like that and revers with axes!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:42 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

rigg1313 wrote:
LordoftheBrownRing wrote:

I agree however I don't have 40-50 Mirkwood Rangers haha damn expensive they are!

True story man. True story.