All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 12:40 pm

Post subject: Banner of Arwen Evanstar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hey guys,

Just got myself a Halbarad, but he's the one with the banner and looking at it it's a lot of points...

Is it worth the points? I can see being double the price of a banner for double the range being useful, especially as Rangers of the North only have 1 A, but Halbarad does not really need the courage boost given he is C 6. :roll:

If it's worth taking (I hope so), at what point level does it become worth replacing a chunk of warriors with it? :)

Cheers.

OERP
 Post subject: Re: Banner of Arwen Evanstar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:47 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

1000pts maybe. It is handy when you are fighting alongside those cowardly Arnor warriors. Especially when there is a wraith about.

I don't tend to use it as it nerfs Halbarad's combat ability (suffers -1 penalty). For his points, you kinda want him to be killing stuff.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:44 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Highlordell wrote:
Hey guys,

Just got myself a Halbarad, but he's the one with the banner and looking at it it's a lot of points...

Is it worth the points? I can see being double the price of a banner for double the range being useful, especially as Rangers of the North only have 1 A, but Halbarad does not really need the courage boost given he is C 6. :roll:

If it's worth taking (I hope so), at what point level does it become worth replacing a chunk of warriors with it? :)

Cheers.

All I can say today I went to a chicagoland 750pt tournament. The guy who won took armor and fiefdoms cavalry and the banner.

It propelled his courage and he took down the guy using the fell beast dark Marshall. That was the only army to beat me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:07 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

What army do you play? I have has some success with it with my elves, my army list was a lot of high defence elves as some Mirkwood rangers the scenario was me defending a city/town ruins and I encircled my men around him so he would reach as many people as possible my plan was to shoot the hell out of them and then whittle their numbers down in combat until they broke (I was against goblin town). The plan worked and he was fantastic, re-rolsl were invaluable and instant passing of courage test for most of my army was great when both sides broke as the goblin ran for the hills.

However, was he better than 100 and something points more elves, in this situation yes in most others maybe not. Let me put it this way never take him to tournaments but in non-competitive games between friends he's probable worth it 750+ especially if you like the theme and the model, if your opponent will let you maybe house rule he doesn't get the -1 if he fights (like Boromir).
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:16 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ElfGeneral wrote:
What army do you play? I have has some success with it with my elves, my army list was a lot of high defence elves as some Mirkwood rangers the scenario was me defending a city/town ruins and I encircled my men around him so he would reach as many people as possible my plan was to shoot the hell out of them and then whittle their numbers down in combat until they broke (I was against goblin town). The plan worked and he was fantastic, re-rolsl were invaluable and instant passing of courage test for most of my army was great when both sides broke as the goblin ran for the hills.

However, was he better than 100 and something points more elves, in this situation yes in most others maybe not. Let me put it this way never take him to tournaments but in non-competitive games between friends he's probable worth it 750+ especially if you like the theme and the model, if your opponent will let you maybe house rule he doesn't get the -1 if he fights (like Boromir).

I played Isengard. I personally didnt get to play him. He had a good amount of cavalry and was a good player though so I dont know how well I would have done

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hmm thanks very much guys.
Kinda annoyed now hahaha. Ah well its a nice model. :)

I suppose with the Warriors of Arnor it would be very useful, but it seems stupid that it gives Halbarad a -1 to win the fight...are we sure it's not been FAQ'ed? Seems wierd that Boromir doesn't suffer from it...Does Gamling? :)

OERP
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Yes Gamling does as well. Boromir is the only piece that doesn't because of his skill

MiniWargaming