All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:56 pm

Post subject: Dunland Horsemen Proxy
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I need to find a proxy for Dunland cavalry. Has anyone see these West Wind Productions miniatures? Do they match up in scale to the GW minis? Would have to put them on 40mm GW bases. I apologize if this has been asked already.

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/ca ... cts_id=585
 Post subject: Re: Dunland Horsemen Proxy
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:46 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Might I direct you here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=28789 has some good discussions on foot Rohan proxies. Look around the websites and there will be horse versions aswell. :)

OERP
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Personally i don't like the idea of Dunlending cavalry. to me the only difference between the Rohirrim and the Dunlendings is Rohan's use of cavalry, and that is highlighted by Tolkien and GW alike. it would be an inaccurate depiction of the Dunlendings to mount them, as the mountain homes of the Dunlendings could not really support horses. but hey, don't let me spoil your fun.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The WoTR book has rules for Dunlending Cavalry, so he might need it for that. Otherwise, why the heck not? :o

OERP
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Isilduhrr wrote:
Personally i don't like the idea of Dunlending cavalry. to me the only difference between the Rohirrim and the Dunlendings is Rohan's use of cavalry, and that is highlighted by Tolkien and GW alike. it would be an inaccurate depiction of the Dunlendings to mount them, as the mountain homes of the Dunlendings could not really support horses. but hey, don't let me spoil your fun.

Actually it seems there is Tolkien lore to suggest they did use some horses. This from Tolkien wiki:
Quote:
Dunlendings are also described as using cavalry at the Fords of Isen. Most Dunlendings probably fought, however, on foot, with long spears, axes and other melee weapons (as with most self-arming forces, swords were expensive and therefore a rarity). Armour for most soldiers was light, but well-off warriors and chieftains likely made use of chainmail and were clad similarly as their Rohirrim counterparts.

Warlord, I like the idea of those Westwind figures. but sorry I have no idea how big they might be.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I found this on another forum:
Quote:
Nordvolk are HUGE, bigger than everything else, they are MASSIVE, I have an army load all waiting to be painted up cos they are ace figures, but nothing matches them, the wizards in the range are even bigger 40-50mm in height, but It's fantasy so it's fine. Excellent range of figures but won't mix with anything else.

Another post:
Quote:
I have several packages of the Nordvolk vikings and they are on the large size but I think work really well against other fantasy figures if you want your barbarians to be a head taller then "regular" human sized opponents. I think works rather well but means you can't mix in other lines.

Sounds like the Nordvolk would be monsters to the Rohirrim.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks Xintao. This is what I was looking for. I also saw West Wind did a 28mm Arthurian line that I fear may also be larger that the GW Dunlendings.

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/ca ... ts_id=1235

As for whether the Dunlendings had cavalry, here is an excerpt from The Battles of the Fords of Isen from Unfinished Tales:

Saruman's eastern force came down with unexpected speed; it was much smaller than the western force, but more dangerous. in its van were some Dunlending horsemen and a great pack of the dreadful wolf riders, feared by horses.
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:06 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Proven wrong! i apologise for this dreadful mistake!

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That's what's great about the forum, we all find out things we wouldn't have known otherwise.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:13 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Warlord, I've got an idea for you.

Take the horse and body of Conquest's Norman Knights and the head of Warlord Factory Germanic Warriors and look what you get:

Don't mind the clay, I just used that to mash the head and body together just for the picture.

They are a little bigger than LOTR figures, but not by much and once on the table I think the size difference will disappear.

It might be a little expensive but maybe you can find some bits on ebay or something. The Conquest knight box comes with 3 unarmored, 2 padded armor and 10 chainmail. The Wargames Factory Germanic sprue comes with 4 or 5 Bearded uncovered heads. I had some sprues from a promotional give away.

Hear are some Germanic Warriors I had put togther:

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Interesting idea. I think I might use the Gripping Beast Saxons. The WoTR profile has them armored with hand weapons. I think I can mix and match these and have one as a chieftain. I'm only looking to put together four companies at most which is eight models. I see Dunland more as allies for Isengard, because if it wasn't for Saruman, you would think they would have sacked the Westfold long before the War of the Ring.

http://www.grippingbeast.com/shop.php?CatID=287