All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:25 am

Post subject: Beorn and Lore Help
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ok guys, Im not an expert on the books so I need some help. Im trying to incorporate Beorn into an army, and not only to I not have Erebor, or Laketown troops, I dont plan on ever having enough to field an army. I can proxy, but I dont want to.

Tell me.....[POSSIBLE MOVIE SPOILERS] since I know Beorn went on to kill Bolg and Azog was killed, I believe Beorn lives after the battle of five armies correct? And I assume he lived long thereafter.

Which kingdoms could he have lived during? Could he say, ally with the men of Rohan during the two towers, or Boromir and Gondor, or other allies? I know for a fact he can be allied well with Dain and the old Dwarven list.

Can someone give me a list of armies he for sure can be allied with? Avoid Elves please Im playing against Wood Elves unfortunately......

Once I get a good answer Ill write up a list in this topic.

Post subject: Re: Beorn and Lore Help
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:58 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'm not sure if it is ever stated what happened to Beorn after the Hobbit. Probably went back to his home and stayed there. he didnt strike me as the travelling type. So probably, elves and at a push dwarves :P

You can ally him with whoever you want but it'll be hard to theme it without clutching at straws.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thats pretty much what I figured. We can always go for made up **** like a contingent of Gondor warriors went to those lands for some reason and he allied with them but thats about it.

As for Dwarves Id just make it the BOFA force.

Like Beorn, Dain, and other people. I have the chance to make 1 warband of Laketown troops but Beorn them, and Dains warband still wont make up 750 or more which is where Im at...... damn.

Ill honestly end up doing something that makes absolutely no sense just to make it work because literally my opponent ONLY owns wood elves and he wants to use them to practice every single week.....

Id love to take Beorn with a Hunter Orc army just to test but it just feels so stupid.

Ughhh......I might just do Beorn and Rohan. I hate Gondor, I cant do wood elves, and I dont like the Dwarves speed.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:17 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

He founded a race of men known as the Beornings, who were men from around the vale of Anduin who flocked to him after the battle of the five armies. I believe it's spoken about in the Unfinished Tales, but the Beornings were mentioned in LotR as well.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

But uh.....how do I translate that to the game field?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

No idea sunshine, this is your party! The Beornings were "northmen", so related to the Rohirrim and lakemen. Maybe that helps?

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That does help....a lot.

Ive honestly asked my opponent at this point if I could just take Beorn with an evil army as practice. My thought pattern would be 'he was under a devious spell from the necromancer'

If he says hed rather not, im gonna probably then go with dwarves laketown and rohan alongside him.

My intial list was a warband from gondor, durings folk rohan, and him. Weve decided on 1000 pts.

I think since you said that though Ill take just Dwarves and Rohan. I dont have enough of Rohan alone to fill it out.

I have enough of all of them to make one force though. As soon as I get his response Ill post army thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:25 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I made up a 500 point list with Beorn and 2 warbands of Warriors of Rohan to represent Beornings, both warbands led by Captains.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:11 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

As well as the Beornings there was a race of men, possibly very closely related known as the Woodmen who lived around the same area on the edges of Mirkwood. I was the Woodmen that prevented the orcs from despoiling the bodies of Isildur's last stand at the Disaster of the Gladden Fields. These men are certainly allied to the wood elves though:

'There were rescuers who came to the scene too late, but in time to disturb the orcs, and to prevent the mutilation of the bodies: for there were certain woodmen who got news to Thranduil by runners, and also themselves gathered a force to ambush the orcs.' - Unfinished Tales

The orcs got wind of the ambush though and scattered. Anyway, perhaps they could be represented by Rohan or Rangers?