All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:02 am

Post subject: Help with Boromir of Gondor and an army.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Two things. 1- I want to know if you guys have used or us B of Gondor. The thing is, im planning on using him on a horse, with shield. So this guys already almost 200 points alone.....for 6 might....I could pay with a lot of armies like less than 150..... other than that...yeah his horn rule is cool, but they will prob lose the fight anyway.....and furthemore, im playing elves.....so not that many failed terror tests....

Everything else he has is great but I feel its too many pts in one unit unless its like Beorn....

Anyway, so for the army in general, my opponent uses Thranduil so ill be using Fountain Guard for their special rule and general awesomness.

As for the rest of the army, Ill be using Beregond, Denethor, and Damrod more than likely to lower the points value Bringing my hero total to 270 for 4 warbands...not terrible but theyre quite weak.

And the army will probably be Boromir leading 12 Knights of Minis Tirith to hit hard and take the archery away, and warriors of minis tirith to fill out the rest.

Ill write up a list soon, but im limited on time now.

Post subject: Re: Help with Boromir of Gondor and an army.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

kinda need to know how many points the game is to really give you a real say on if hes good or not. i have used him from time to time but thats only in 1k point games
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I agree but what is the leader option for gondor at 750+ points if not BotWT ??

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:42 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Two things. 1- I want to know if you guys have used or us B of Gondor. The thing is, im planning on using him on a horse, with shield. So this guys already almost 200 points alone.....for 6 might....I could pay with a lot of armies like less than 150..... other than that...yeah his horn rule is cool, but they will prob lose the fight anyway.....and furthemore, im playing elves.....so not that many failed terror tests....

Everything else he has is great but I feel its too many pts in one unit unless its like Beorn....

Hey,
I assume you mean Boromir, Captain of the White Tower, as Boromir of Gondor is only 100 or so points and can't lead Gondorians?
I'll assume you mean CotWT. Yeh, one of the best heroes in the game, but he pays for it.
You're right about the horn being of less use against Elves but he's stuck with it and you don't have any other big heroes so if you want a big hitter you've got no choice really.
Depending on points level (750+ I'd say), it'd be worth bringing the Banner of Minas Tirith if you're taking Citadel Guards/Fountain Guards/Osgiliath Veterans. This means you'll tie Fight Value (5) with Elves, and you'll also have a re-roll to boot. Boromir will also be taken to a higher Fight Value (7) than their Captains and some heroes.

Apart from that the only specifics I'd say are, if you're taking him, stick on a horse, and give him a lance. He'll wreak havoc regardless, and has enough Might to get Heroic Moves off when you need the charge.

If you want to save some points, you could always ally in Imrahil instead? 3's in all the right places, about ~60-70 points cheaper.

Hope that helped a bit. :)

OERP
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Highlordell wrote:

Hey,
I assume you mean Boromir, Captain of the White Tower, as Boromir of Gondor is only 100 or so points and can't lead Gondorians?
I'll assume you mean CotWT. Yeh, one of the best heroes in the game, but he pays for it.
You're right about the horn being of less use against Elves but he's stuck with it and you don't have any other big heroes so if you want a big hitter you've got no choice really.
Depending on points level (750+ I'd say), it'd be worth bringing the Banner of Minas Tirith if you're taking Citadel Guards/Fountain Guards/Osgiliath Veterans. This means you'll tie Fight Value (5) with Elves, and you'll also have a re-roll to boot. Boromir will also be taken to a higher Fight Value (7) than their Captains and some heroes.

Apart from that the only specifics I'd say are, if you're taking him, stick on a horse, and give him a lance. He'll wreak havoc regardless, and has enough Might to get Heroic Moves off when you need the charge.

If you want to save some points, you could always ally in Imrahil instead? 3's in all the right places, about ~60-70 points cheaper.

Hope that helped a bit. :)

It does help man I always appreciate everyone's advice.

To answer everyone's questions yeah its 750-850-900 points I'm sticking with 750 for now though. We haven't decided is all.

And as for what you said specifically I only own 11 fountain guards and none of the others. I mean of the elites affected by his banner so that I def won't be taking.

I'll probably take him and those said heroes and hope for the best. You think I really should add the lance considering he will have strength 4 4 attacks on the charge? I mean strength 5 is good for some elves and captains or I mean heroes but a giant portion of his elves are d 4 only.

Hmmm...idk. but yeah I can probably proxy some vets but Idk if I'll do it. If he says we can go up to 900 pts I'll probably proxy them and put the banner in. I'm sick and ******* tired of losing tie rolls to his elves cause I'm always evil when I play.

What I'll do when I'm home later is write up a list for the figures I have at 750 then a list for proxied troopers at 900 pts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oh also I was hoping to possibly ally in some warriors of the dead because that would balance his courage against terror which stops some of his elves from charging and he needs every unit he can get in the fight.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'll probably take him and those said heroes and hope for the best. You think I really should add the lance considering he will have strength 4 4 attacks on the charge? I mean strength 5 is good for some elves and captains or I mean heroes but a giant portion of his elves are d 4 only.

Hmmm...idk. but yeah I can probably proxy some vets but Idk if I'll do it. If he says we can go up to 900 pts I'll probably proxy them and put the banner in. I'm sick and ******* tired of losing tie rolls to his elves cause I'm always evil when I play.

No problem.
The lance doesn't make him strength 5, it gives him +1 to wound, so it'll be effective regardless of defence levels.
If you're at 900 points, I'd stick in some Veterans if he'll let you. The get the +1 fight rule for free and have +1 courage compared to normal warriors, useful in bigger games as there will likely be a time when your models are outside of a heroes' standfast range.

Yeh type a list up and let us know. :)

OERP

Last edited by Highlordell on Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:41 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

My advice is do not take AOTD. He will almost never fail a courage test to charge you (mathematically he'll only fail 17% of the time) also as AOTD strike against courage you'll have a harder time wounding as the Elves have higher courage than defense.

I'd recommend taking the Banner as it will buff your Fountain Guard to fight 5 and Boromir to 7 (as previously mentioned) which is better than Thranduil or Leggy or anyone less than Glorfindel. Take lots and lots of Warriors of MT and some knights so that you can kill his elves easier than he can kill you. And you should simply be able to outlast him

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR wrote:
My advice is do not take AOTD. He will almost never fail a courage test to charge you (mathematically he'll only fail 17% of the time) also as AOTD strike against courage you'll have a harder time wounding as the Elves have higher courage than defense.

I'd recommend taking the Banner as it will buff your Fountain Guard to fight 5 and Boromir to 7 (as previously mentioned) which is better than Thranduil or Leggy or anyone less than Glorfindel. Take lots and lots of Warriors of MT and some knights so that you can kill his elves easier than he can kill you. And you should simply be able to outlast him

I agree with all that but I failed to mention something. He also takes some Gondor foot soldiers and Riders of Rohan so I'd be putting the army wherever they are on the field.

And in terms of previous game play yeah he passes a lot of courage tests but later in the games when he's running low on troops it helps when he's missing one or two a turn because having elves I almost always outnumber him late unless I make a stupid error.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Also another thing guys...or 2 actually.

1-I dont understand this +1 to wound thing I guess.....whats the difference of saying Boromir has 5 strength with it when rolling to wound or him having 4 +1??

Either way doesnt he wound a troop with 5 defense on 4+ rolls?

2-Cavalry.... when they have a shield on the horse are they still +1 defense if theyre not an expert rider? I though yes....
Like a Knight of Minis Tirith with a shield on horse has D 6 not 5 correct?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:00 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

1 it's wrong because the +1 isn't to the strength of the character. It's plus one to the roll of the dice. So 3's count as 4's, 5's count as having rolled 6's. Things like that.

2 Yes the shield adds +1 defense

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oh I get it...ive been calculating it the right way, saying it the wrong way.

So makes sense. And I was right about the shields when playing too thank god cause Ive played against cav frequently lol. Ok, im about to write my lists then.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:08 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It's definitely a big plus over the strength being upped IMO

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Boromir COTWT with horse and lance is astoundingly powerful it's ridiculous. His banner IMO is generally a waste of points, it's too expensive and situational. I would definitely advise giving him the lance if you do decide taking him. He just cuts through rank and file like butter, plus with his 6 might you can generally always have enough might to keep the charge going.

In a GT I took him to a few years back, he cleaved his way through half a 650pt Isengard army on his own. Crazy powerful with the lance.

His horn won't be too much use against elves, but since dice are involved it always comes down to the luck of the die.

Will you be versing high elves or galadhrim? If the latter, I would say just spam as many WoMT. Numerical supremacy. You're never going to out fight him without taking something crazy expensive and with them needed 6's against your base troops and you 5's against his, better off taking mid-tier heroes and using heroic strikes to take on his high fight heroes and swarm him with your high defense base troops.

Expert rider means they can maintain +1 defense from the shield whilst carrying a bow (riders of rohan and knights of rivendell), but as soon as they lose their mount they don't benefit from the +1 defense since they'd be on foot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:11 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Actually a Lance is like having +2 strength on charge (if you dont have to roll a 6/4+ or something like that).

I would not waste his might doing heroic moves, but do heroic combats, because you can kill more foes per turn. Take other heros to make the moves. I would take Madril or Cirion over Denethor. The 20 points are worth three more points of might. If you have the initiative just charge and if not, make a heroic move with Cirion and charge with Boromir and than call a heroic combat and you will usually slay 4 models a turn.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:26 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yes, the banner is expensive, but I can't think of a much better situation to take it. The fact that it makes your elites equal to his troops is awesome, and on top of that they essentially get 2 chances to beat them.

The fact that it makes Boromir F7 is the best of all - the opponent has to spend might on heroic strikes or risk having his heroes killed in one turn. Then you can just match them with the extra might.

The lance is a good idea, i have underestimated them in the past but they are worth the price if it doesn't effect your army, which it won't at 750+ points. But it will definitely have an effect on his army ;)

One thing to look out for, Thrand will cast natures wrath on a 6, which is going to be hard to beat even with 3 will, so you will need to think of a way to make him use it on something other than Boromir and the knights. Maybe something with 2H weapons otherwise someone with shields so they can shield when they get knocked down.

I don't think army of the dead are a good choice. I like them but spending points to hope that he fails a charge later in the game... why not just spend the points on 2 troops to kill him with - a lot more reliable. So I would only use them against the non-elves.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:30 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

A regular enemy of elves here. It's an awful thing to see your biggest hero tieing fights with their regular captains, and then they win on a 3+ (elven blade). you say the banner is situational- this is the situation. that banner would be gold when fight these chappies. it gets my vote.
when you're fielding AOTD, the one thing you don't want to face is elves. you lose your terror rule, you make it very difficult to wound, you basically remove any bonus AOTD may have over, say Warriors of Minas Tirith. waste of points.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:37 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Isilduhrr wrote:
A regular enemy of elves here. It's an awful thing to see your biggest hero tieing fights with their regular captains, and then they win on a 3+ (elven blade).

Or you feed the captain with a GuardoFC and loo like the captain needs a 6 to wound while your Boromir is cutting through his warriors calling heroic combats on and on ;)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:10 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The great thing I found about mounted Boromir is he compliments the several cheap but excellent heroes I have on the field – the saving on using Beregond/Denethor/Damrod makes up for his higher points cost and lets you fill out ranks. Thus this gives you a solid infantry block to be the anvil to the hammer of Boromir + Knights.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hadn't realized it was a high points match. Yes, you have plenty of points to spare with that points cost. Since you know for sure that you're versing your friend's elves, yes, this is the perfect time to take the Banner of Minas Tirith. If it was a tourney though, I'd take the lance option.