All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:11 am

Post subject: Mauhur or lurtz
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:12 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Need some advice. Simple answers from people will suffice. Do I take lurtz or mauhur to TOS. I know they aren't the best leaders but it's all I have left. Lurtz has 1 more might but mauhur has more attacks. So simple question mauhur or lurtz?
 Post subject: Re: Mauhur or lurtz
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It really depends on what is in the rest of the army. If you have lots of might already, go Mauhur but if you feel you're low on might, go with Lurtz.

I quite like lurtz, a 3 might hero with a bow can be deadly if used right.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Mahur when combined with Uruk-hai scouts will increase Scouts move by 2".
That to me is worth more than a single might point!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:45 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I would say the same as SouthernDunedain. I have collected on Isengard for a while and I ot both Lurtz and Mahúr. I like mahúr most and if you got enough might and so you can just choose the one you like most.

I´m TheLotrMan from SWEDEN!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yep. Mahur for extra speed, lurtz for extra might. Both are great boons in lotr. However, I would add, the game lotr sbg has been played with 6" movement for a very long time, nigh unto 10 years. The ability to boost infantry movement is a recent development. From day 1 might has always been the bread and butter of an army.

I don't know where you are strategically, nor do I know how you use your might. So, it basically boils down to your play style. Do you rely heavily on might to perform heroic actions? Or do you rely on might to tip a single die roll in your favor? Even better, are you the kind of player who forgets might is even a usable resource in sbg?

Personally, I have never looked at an army list and said, "that's enough might." I have however built a good number of armies and said, "i don't need 8" move infantry for this fight."
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

mauhur, he is a beast!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

My personal opinion would be Mahur. The additional point of might is quite important to be sure, But the additional attack for myself factors in more. Aside from Mahur, Isengard is lacking in any 3 attack heroes. So to face off against an Aragorn, Boromir, Eomer KOTP or any other big hero with at least the same number of dice as they have is pretty important.

I'd assume you already have Vrasku in your army so you get some might there (albeit less accessible for heroic moves etc). So my advice would be Mahur

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:12 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I would love to see more of Lurtz, but Mauhur is more of a solid pick to me. 3A is much better than 2A any day of the week. Isengard is pretty forgiving, so I don't think the might is as essential as it is in other forces as you can either kill them faster thanks to S4, or last longer thanks to D6. Im assuming you aren't using cavalry, but if you do just make sure you have a captain with them to ensure they get the charge off, otherwise that is a points sink.

I don't normally recommend people having movement upgrades unless there is a clear, reliable strategy to go with it, but for tournament play I think it is a good idea to upgrade a few scouts with the extra movement, just so you take that 1-2 less turns of archery fire from an all mounted force or something similar. You should definitely practice your deployment to make sure you get the most out of any crossbows and that they have a full field of fire and not getting blocked by troops.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:52 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Bernardo wrote:
mauhur, he is a beast!

Mauhur indeed, with Lurtz you waste 5 pt on his shield 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:38 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Mauhur 100% Just don;t be reckless with cause it is not as much solid as the other Isengard's captains but surely he will win many many combats till dead.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Mauhur every time!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:43 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Mauhur without question. With what Isengard has at its disposal, I would never take Lurtz period....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:12 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Reto wrote:
Mauhur indeed, with Lurtz you waste 5 pt on his shield 8)

No you don't, his shield's free. He pays 5 points for his bow and 5 points for his extra Might. He essentially gets the ability to shield for free.

I always lean towards Lurtz on this one, people seem to think poorly of him thanks to the reasons above but he's a really solid choice. The extra Might is a game changer and having a hero with a bow is a really nice tactical option, it doesn't come off that often but I've had plenty of times where I've wounded a hero with Lurtz's bow (possibly bumped by a Might point) and got myself a cheap wound/leader VP. Plus I have the Lurtz model firing the bow which is just awesome compared to the Mauhur model which is just awful.

That said, Mauhur's definitely a solid choice and 3 F5, S5 attacks is awesome, he's a great troop killer but overall I find the extra Might point will achieve more for you than the extra attack. Both good choices though.

They both make it into my pure Isengard 1000 point list, in case you're interested here's the order I put heroes in (normally):

Vrasku
Shaman
Lurtz
Saruman & Grima
Shaman
Mauhur

I've had a lot of success with that list but just get stuck in and see which one suits your play style better. If you're intent on charging forwards and just overwhelming the enemy by force then take Mauhur but if you're planning on playing a more tactical game and controlling the board go for Lurtz.

Hope that helps.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dr Grant wrote:
Reto wrote:

Vrasku
Shaman
Lurtz
Saruman & Grima
Shaman
Mauhur

You really dont value Ugluk anywhere on there? If youre playing with friends for fun, and no breaking courage rule I understand....but I think people severely underestimate him too....you can get rid of a 10-11 pt model to possibly save like 30+ other points.

In the tournament I used him in I kept the guy near large groups of my uruks. Also, the 3 might.....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:

You really dont value Ugluk anywhere on there? If youre playing with friends for fun, and no breaking courage rule I understand

Nope, not really, particularly not in combination with the other heroes. I've got 2 shamans with Fury and Saruman with C7 and a 12" stand-fast. I don't need Ugluk to pass courage tests, not to mention the fact that a 9-15 point model is probably a big deal to lose when you're broken.

Also, from a fun/fluffy perspective, he should be killing orcs not uruks and I don't take orcs in my armies as I prefer a pure Uruk force.

Also, why would you not use the breaking/courage rule? It's an absolutely vital tactical part of the game. If you were playing narrative scenarios then obviously it's normally a good idea to remove it but I don't see why you would for friendly points match games.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:50 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks Damian for that advice. It's really useful to me. Unfortunately I didn't receive this wise advice in time for TOS so I went with my gut and chose mauhur. He was quite handy though but I think I was missing and extra might point in one or two of the games. But I will bear it in my mind for future tournaments. By the way you had my vote for that stunning display board you created. Kudos to you. Congratulations on the prize.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:27 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

No worries buddy, happy to help! Would this be Jai Martin then? Thanks very much for the vote and the kind words about the display board - it means a lot! :-) I'm planning on putting up a WIP thread for it on here at some point, just got a million things to do first!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yes I'm jai Martin. I don't owe you money do I ha. I look forward to your WIP. I find it hard to see how you can top that display board for next year if your doing another? Fishing for info.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:10 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ha, no no, just trying to line up usernames with real names as much as possible!

Don't hold your breath on the board's WIP thread, got so many SBG style typing projects to do first and that one'll take a while! Need to update my own WIP as a matter of priority, haven't posted on there in 2 months and I've got lots to stick on there!

As for next year, I severely doubt I'll top it and don't particularly want to try! It was a one-off idea I had last February at the last TOS and was determined to get it done, really glad it turned out well but it was a hell of a lot of stress. If I do try anything for next year I hope it'll be a fair bit simpler!

I did have some thoughts about bringing a pure Army of Thror list led by Thror and Thrain and doing the base as the East gate of Moria which should be fairly simple. Who knows though, I'm sure about a month before the event I'll come up with some complicated and stressful plan!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dr Grant wrote:
LordoftheBrownRing wrote:

You really dont value Ugluk anywhere on there? If youre playing with friends for fun, and no breaking courage rule I understand

Nope, not really, particularly not in combination with the other heroes. I've got 2 shamans with Fury and Saruman with C7 and a 12" stand-fast. I don't need Ugluk to pass courage tests, not to mention the fact that a 9-15 point model is probably a big deal to lose when you're broken.

Also, from a fun/fluffy perspective, he should be killing orcs not uruks and I don't take orcs in my armies as I prefer a pure Uruk force.

Also, why would you not use the breaking/courage rule? It's an absolutekly vital tactical part of the game. If you were playing narrative scenarios then obviously it's normally a good idea to remove it but I don't see why you would for friendly points match games.

Yeah everything you said makes total sense from the Saruman stand fast to the double Shamans.

And the lack of orcs yeah. I didn't use any.
At 750 I had Vrasku Mauhur Shaman and ugluk.