All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:51 am

Post subject: Alternate dwarf list
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

feel like delving back into my dwarfs recently and before anyone says take khazard guard or anything like that this list is meant to be different from your standard dwarf list. but that does not mean i am not looking on advice on how to optimise it in its current theme or how it could be used effectively and its major weaknesses. I also normally play the 6 book scenarios not straight out killy death stuff

600pts dwarfs
Gimli
X8 dwarf rangers, throwing axes

Dwarf ballista with captain
X4 dwarf archers
X4 dwarf ranger, throwing axes

Dwarf ballista with captain
X1 additional dwarf crew
X4 dwarf ranger, throwing axes
X4 dwarf archers
 Post subject: Re: Alternate dwarf list
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looks very pointed. Lots of bows and throwing weapons. I'm a big advocate of throwing weapons. The biggest vulnerabilities I spot, are the low defense possessed by the army overall, and the short movements that will occur.

The defense isn't too big of a down fall. Many armies have an average d of 4-5. Harad for example.

The move average is what concerns me. In order to optimize the ranged fighting capability of your army, your troops will be moving an average of 2.5 inches per turn.

On the up side, I love dwarf rangers! Great pick! And the throwing weapons basically give all your dwarves an extra atk... Kind of.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

That's quite an interesting list. I do like that you have put Ballistae and throwing weapons in there, they can still do a lot of damage even though they aren't used very much these days. Gimli is a solid choice too.

As usual, numbers is a big challenge to overcome. I would like to suggest 3-4 Irogn Guard so you can have a stronger core somewhere, but that would effect the army composition a bit too much I think.

It's probably as well balanced as it is if you are going to use rangers. The alternative would be to keep the Ballistae but swap the rangers & throwing weapons for better armoured dwarves to see if you can outlast them as usual. The only thing I would consider changing to both lists is if having a captain on the Ballista is the best choice - I'm not sure if it is or isn't, but I wouldn't imagine you would get many chances to use the might.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:19 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I don't believe it would work. With the warband deployment rules you won't be able to use your ballista efficiently. Also dwarf list depend primarily on their defence and d5 rangers are just to easy to kill.