All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:06 am

Post subject: Dwarves, orcs or Harad for 500point games night?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:17 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

My local GW is doing a 500 point man vs hobby event, you buy 500 points in one go and then we have a whole night of games.
I have a limited budget and the 3 cheapest lists I could think of were:

A mumak with most of the upgrades and a few crew, or

Azog on warg
Bolg
12 hunter orcs, 4 with bow, or

Thror
Thrain
10 grim hammers
12 erebor warriors

Do any of these list look reasonable or should they be changed? The mumak and the dwarves would add to existing armies but the orcs would be completely new.
any help is appreciated
 Post subject: Re: Dwarves, orcs or Harad for 500point games night?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Is the idea that you can only field the models you purchased from your GW on that day?

Or add them to an existing force?

If so a Mumak would be pointless for the majority of the hobbit scenarios.

Hunter Orc list seems the best bet to me with the 2A Orcs and the mobility of Azog on Warg

EFGT Radagast and 3 Mirkwood Palace Guard
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:21 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You can only field the models you buy in one go but you have about a month to build and paint them
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ok well i think it depends on how you play as a player (i.e more aggressive or defensive)

I have a hunter orc army and from experience you have to go all out and rush in or you can end up in tricky situations. 2 attack from a basic troop gives you a big advantage in combat but their low defense makes them very easy to bring down if you end up in a spot of bother.

I rarely have bows with any of my hunter orcs as i feel they are wasted being held back and used as archers. Even though Azog is a beast when it comes to playing armies such as dwarves and taking down enemy hero's i would suggest maybe dropping him and replacing him with a cheaper hero and use the remaining points on more infantry (if thats possible with your budget). Hunters on fell wargs come in handy very well for the hobbit scenarios..... but with a budget being in place, buying the additional fell wargs and spare hunter orcs on foot to use as replacements in the event of you losing one or the other in combat is a barrier.

As for dwarves i would they are a more solid bet with their high defense and the options for shields. Again i would maybe look at alternative hero's to allow you to field more troops. Lastly for the points value and higher defense i would go for all erebor warriors as opposed to a mix of them and grim hammers. (still think the grim hammers stats should be better as they appear of more an elite troop in my eyes clad in all that heavy armour). Only downside is their limited movement and with some scenarios being about controlling areas on the board.. it makes it a little tricky!

If your looking for just a few sociable games then go for something you would personally enjoy using... But if your looking to be competitive and win all your games then go over the scenarios and look into what would suit you best for those.

Im sure some of the more experienced guys on here can help with all the smaller details i.e wargear etc to add to your forces once you have made your mind up.

Hope my ramble helped and good luck for the games night, wish my local GW would do something similair :)

EFGT Radagast and 3 Mirkwood Palace Guard
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

origami chicken wrote:
My local GW is doing a 500 point man vs hobby event, you buy 500 points in one go and then we have a whole night of games.
I have a limited budget and the 3 cheapest lists I could think of were:

A mumak with most of the upgrades and a few crew, or

Azog on warg
Bolg
12 hunter orcs, 4 with bow, or

Thror
Thrain
10 grim hammers
12 erebor warriors

Do any of these list look reasonable or should they be changed? The mumak and the dwarves would add to existing armies but the orcs would be completely new.
any help is appreciated

What do you own already? Do you already have elves, or youre just not interested in fielding them?

From what it shows, youre willing to spend about $100 give or take am I right?

DONT take the Mumak. Let me know how much youre willing to spend and what you already own then Ill help more.

As for the Hunter Orcs though, if youre willing to spend around 120, I can give you a great army idea.

This all does sound just like a Games Workshop scheme to get you to buy hobbit stuff though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:12 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The dwarf list will do best. Grim hammers front, Erebor spears behind.

If you wanna do hunter orcs, buy Fimbul, Narzug, yazneg, 1 box of mtd hunter orcs and 2 boxes of foot hunter orcs.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You really think the hammers are a good idea? All he has to do is take more warriors of erebor with shield and have a front line D 7 for 2 less points each.

As a new player I dont think he will utilize the hammers rule to make them worth their value....

And you love the mounted hunters.....ive seen in topics......but you think theyre really worth their points?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:52 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:

What do you own already? Do you already have elves, or youre just not interested in fielding them?

I already have about 1200 points of Durin's folk, Thorin's company and 12 Erebor warriors. I have about 700 points of harad about 300 of Isenguard and about 1000 of Moria and Angmar.
I don't think elves fit my play style though, I've tried using legolas leading some mirkwood rangers and I use them wrong and they end up dying really easily.

The Erebor list could also be:
Thror
Thrain
Thorin
10 grim hammers

also yes I do have only about $100 to spend, it's not to easy to get 500pts for that
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:59 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

What about this list?
Thror
Thorin with the oakenshield
Dwalin
the king's champion
3 Khazad guard
498 points