3 iron hill vets with shield

Gimli
12 Khazad guard

Beorn with bow

Post subject: Re: Durin's folk 700pts
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Like a dwarf your list is tough and small, but I think it's almost too small to be effective. I don't know much about Beorn but from what I've heard it's possible for a cavalry model to lead him on a merry chase for the entire game if he transforms. The str4 across the board is nice, but if you come up against a force with spear support and can't really manoeuvre around it (made trickier by your movement) then you could be in for some tough combats.

The choice of heroes to lead the dwarves is great though, in my opinion.

Edit:

With that in mind I'd suggest dropping Beorn, but it seems like you might quite like him in this list!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

the general idea is to build a hard hitting list with high defence around beorn tbh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:48 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It's a solid army. I'd be a bit worried at that point size because it's so small

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If the idea is to build the list around beorn, why not got for:
Beorn

Floi
12 Dwarf Warriors with shield

Shieldbearer
12 Khazad Guard

Balin
2 vault warden teams

Floi can negate any nasty rules that could slow Beorn's killing, I find using it on Grima can be a great save! Then his dwarves can shield to tie up multiple enemies whilst the shieldbearer and his khazad guard help Beorn with the killing. Then Balin and the two vault warden teams can take on any big targets. I didn't add any bows because I often find that my warriors are then outnumbered in the fight and the bows and up being pretty rubbish.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't own any shield bearers, floi, or vault wardens, and I tend to think vault wardens are a point sink, when you can use a monster and simply rend the guy with the shield.
That said I do like the added numbers, though it might be for the worst as the whole army would then have no shooting and wouldn't have S4 all round anymore, and killing power is needed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Floi is too much of a rare occurrence to be worth it IMO, very situational.
Shield Bearers I also don't rate highly, they require a lot of luck with that single point of might, Captains give you so much more versatility.

I'm really glad you chose Murin and Drar, they're very good Dwarf heroes that have never let me down, I like your list it just has 2 really expensive units that take up around 50% of your points. So your numbers will be low, that's just part of it.

With your original list I'd drop Gimli for Balin son of Fundin with Durin's axe. That way you get both the 3 dice to win (because of the reroll) and the +1 to wound

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Actually I tend to find that Floi has a use against most armies although I guess that could be down to my opponents but he's not too difficult to swap out for a captain if that's not your thing. I understand your point about the shieldbearer but a lot of things also come down to luck in this game and they are cheap heroes who can lead troops although I suppose captains would fit the job just as well in this case. Ironically I also find vault wardens to be a point sink, whenever I use them they appear to get shot by a stray arrow and killed -.- but I find that boasting about their defence 9 can lure more powerful opponents to be trapped and killed perhaps. I get the part about the str4 but the use of piercing strike can be really powerful when you know you have a high chance of winning the fight and you're also quite safe if you lose at D7 when against only one opponent. The reason I didn't include bow models is that I never tend to kill anything with them, but if you were to replace the vault wardens then you could replace them with bows, and even drop Balin for a captain and add more troops if you wanted a higher model count. Love Murin and Drar too, and sadly don't get to use them too often because as good as they are there is still the pressure in small points games to kill every turn to make up for the models you could've had extra in your army.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:45 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I dont know if this issue has been addressed, and sorry if it has.....DONT put a bow on the toughest close combat model in the game....you can use that 5 points somewhere cant you? Give Gimli an elven cloak instead or anything.....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I had spare points I didn't know what to do with, my aim was not to specifically equip him with it, but yeah I think i will give gimli that elven cloak why not

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:08 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Someone took an army very similar to this to a 650 point tournament in Melbourne. I played them and lost. They won the tournament. Dwarves high survivability is allows Beorn to go on a rampage without worrying too much about forcebreak.