All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:28 pm

Post subject: The Black Gate Opens. Fluffy Mordor lis
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:40 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi! I can't write a list without a good bit of a theme in there. I'm getting started with Mordor and really wanted to creater a Black Gate themed list based on the films. I realise this may not be competetive but that isn't the whole point.

Bellow is my idea for a 500 point list, for the theme I would rather keep both the Mouth of Sauron and the Troll Chief, and keep a reasonable number of Morannon Orcs. But what else would be usefull?

The Mouth of Sauron on Armoured Horse
5 Morannon orcs with shield
5 Morannon Orcs with Spear

Troll Chieftain
5 Morannons with shield
5 Morannons with Speas

Orc Shaman
6 Orcs with Shield
6 Orcs with Spear

Should I get some trackers in for fire support? maybe some Mordor uruks to get some f4 in there? Also some tips on how to play Mordor well would be much appreciated :)
 Post subject: Re: The Black Gate Opens. Fluffy Mordor lis
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:34 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

An OK list. I would drop all the morannon orcs with spear and replace with orcs with spear saving 20 points right there on the spot (for just support guys) and an orc is still 1 attack when the time comes so you won't miss the difference. Then on you Shaman group I would swap all the Mordor orcs with shield for Morannon with shield costing you 12 points more there but in the end you still have 8 points freed up and the same model count (just a bit more efficient).

And absolute yes to using Mordor Uruks, the Strength is awesome for damage (more so with two handed weapons), you pair them with a spear or an orc or two in a mob to hopefully have numbers and win the fights and they will work.

I have played mordor steady for many years now, Orcs are not great that is for sure and all of them lose fights often. But they can win out if you play to the terrain, keep all advantages you can. I don't think you Troll chief will help much (will probably be among your first loses in most matches) but I can respect the theme you want and so go for it. Trackers and other bows I have never had luck with, so it is up to you, on wargs I would say yes to trackers as they have other options (charge attacks and can move further while shooting). I would say to make a list with bows and one without and test them. I have just gave up on bows 90% of the time, I take them occasionally depending on the style of match I am playing.

anyway good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:04 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I agree with sith, change out the morannons and regular orcs. I'd probably prefer another captain in there instead of the shaman, but you are in a sticky situation there.

Not sure if this is a full 500 points or not, cant work it out atm, looks maybe 50 short or something. If it is short, I'd go with a captain and some Uruks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:21 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If I were you I'd stick with the Morannons. S4 is so useful when you're facing off against an army including D6 models, plus I think the models look much cooler. If Hodush is right and you do have points left over I'd suggest upgrading those Mordor orcs to Morannons and adding in a banner.
 Post subject: Re: The Black Gate Opens. Fluffy Mordor list
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:06 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The list is 497 points so no room for another captain unfortunatley.

As it is I don't have many other models to add into the list, but I'm hpoing to expand soon. I think Mordor Uruk Hai will be my next move.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

All the combinations are like opinions really but up to you to see whats best..

uruk front line with shield 2nd rank morannon orc with spear (fight 4 front, S4 both)
Orc with shield morannon with spear (both fight 3, front can feint or if with axe piercing attack, 2nd rank S4 for punching)

As for the troll, a monster with combined a character that can call heroic strike and moves, its by far the biggest and most threatning prize the oponent will try to get at early game, the sooner that troll dies the better...
For his cost you could field alot more things like:

warg riders
more orcs
uruk group
black guard (or just the captain to lead)
Named nazgul or random ringwraith for more consistent magic...

the troll at 500pts its alot points, its a bit more than 1/5 of your army, although might work...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:51 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Just don't get him shot dead. Otherwise the chief can handle anything except magic. Combined with the MoS, you are going to be able to take down other heroes pretty quickly. TBH, you need him if you are running the mouth, otherwise you might aswell just go pure swarm with a shaman, captains and troops.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:03 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The troll chief is a great idea in this list, gives it a dangerous edge, and if you pay him right he can cause carnage, and with D8 he isn't squishy like a cave troll, most shooting will be 6/4 to wound if not 6/5 so he is pretty coriaceous.
Also if you can somehow find the points, give MoS a horse, it will mean he can pull his weight in combat once you run out of will
And finally as others have said you're better off with Morranons with shield rather than the run of the mill orc with shield, D6 is essential when confronting most armies these days, I do like mordor uruks, but the D5 when they have a shield is simply unacceptable to me, so I never use them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:17 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Some great advice! I thought the MoS would be critisized more than the Troll chief but I'm glad to hear the two work well together.
@Grungehog, the Mouth is on an armoured horse already, which i found essential for theme as well as making him more survivable.