It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:27 am

Post subject: High Elves 500pts
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:54 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

High Elves Army List – 500 pts

Warband 1:
High Elf Captain (bow)
High Elf Warrior x 12 (8 bows 4 elven blades)

Warband 2:
High Elf Captain (bow)
High Elf Warrior x 12 (12 elven blades)

Warband 3: (Lothlorien and Mirkwood)
Legolas

498pts

27 models - 13 shots - 14/27 break point

Hi guys, I'm considering making this list for my first army, some of the factors I took into account are what models I already have or would be able to source easily. I want to make a fairly competitive army and as such I have tried to maximize the amount of bows (13 shots per turn). I think this could still be outdone by a wood elf army but crunching the numbers, showed that it wouldn't be too much difference and then I get to keep a high defense value (unless wood elf rangers get 100% bow limit - yes, no?).

Another point is that I don't think there are any official GW High Elf captains with bows, so i would have to modify an existing High Elf. Any feedback on this list would be much appreciated.
 Post subject: Re: High Elves 500pts
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You will struggle in combat I think, because all of your heroes only have 2 attacks, and you've spent 250pts on them, for which you could get elrond with heavy armour and a captain with a shield, or drop about all the blades and 2 warriors and 1 warrior with a bow, and you can get Gil-Galad with shield and Glorfindel with armour and asfaloth or Gil-Gala with shield and the twins with heavy armour.

Just to give you something to think about, because Legolas is probably a bit too fragile once you get into CQC for him to be your leader and always be sure that he is safe an you have absolutely no need to worry about him. The opposite of Gil-Galad, where if he is surrounded and without support, you can shield for 6 f9 attacks!

Just thought I'd give you something to think about.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:55 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

nzgolem wrote:
High Elves Army List – 500 pts

Warband 1:
High Elf Captain (bow)

Warband 2:
High Elf Captain (bow)
High Elf Warrior x 12 (12 elven blades)

Warband 3: (Lothlorien and Mirkwood)
Legolas

498pts

27 models - 13 shots - 14/27 break point

Hi guys, I'm considering making this list for my first army, some of the factors I took into account are what models I already have or would be able to source easily. I want to make a fairly competitive army and as such I have tried to maximize the amount of bows (13 shots per turn). I think this could still be outdone by a wood elf army but crunching the numbers, showed that it wouldn't be too much difference and then I get to keep a high defense value (unless wood elf rangers get 100% bow limit - yes, no?).

Another point is that I don't think there are any official GW High Elf captains with bows, so i would have to modify an existing High Elf. Any feedback on this list would be much appreciated.

Well lord Elrond got some points on this and what you seem to lack in heavy are spearmen and shields, the elves are already outnumbered and despite the models do look interesting they will die off 2 fast.

As it follows his recommendations on Gil Galad are highly viable as I would also consider giving him that for a few reasons:
- hes fairly cheapish and hes a monster in combat, the only good heroe that can actually match Sauron in close combat, also keep in mind having so high fight value means you hardly need to call heroic strikes lol
- hes beast and can be given shield
- he can ride horse and be even more beast!

I do know for 500pts hes quite a bit investment, but keep in mind the high elves can get acess to wood elves anyway.
As for Gil Galad model, yes you gonna need some conversion, but he works pretty well if you start with a Rivendell Captain, face is similar, got lance and can be given shield.

If you want really competitive for this list as part of mirkwood, Legolas is not what youre looking for, what you really want its Thranduil.

This is what you need to consider, what you see out there as a big threat on your oponents?

Warband 1
Gil Galad on horse with shield
6 High elf warriors with hand weapon and shield
6 High elf warriors with shield and spear

Warband 2
Thranduil, King of Mirkwood
2 wood elf warriors with hand weapon (2x throwing daggers)
5 wood elf warriors with spear (1x throwing daggers)
4 king´s guard with elven bow
Wood Elf sentinel

total: 500pts
models: 26
might: 6
bows: 5(all hit on 2+ however)

exactly the same body count list, 1 less heroe although the heroes you got are more beastly like.
Gil Galad you know the deal
Thranduil although not has shooty as his son, he can cast aura of dismay and nature´s wrath which will solve in most part any problem being outnumbered really... also keep in mind that those can only be resisted if the oponent roll a 6s, so its quite nasty....

As terror aint enough but you can still want to manipulate something, you got a wood elf sentinel as despite they ain´t being that great they can be crucial in some moments of your gameplay, like attempt to remove 1 heroe away from nature´s wrath range so you can cast it without oposition... or dragging a troll close to Gil Galad so he can kill it faster :P

*not to mention your stand fast range its the double thx to Gil Galad :)

Last edited by Galanur on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wood elf sentinels cannot be their own warband, they are a troop type not a hero. As such you would have to put him into one of the warbands or instead you could get a banner for one of the warbands.

Now the question is what to do with the extra 10 points you have if you put the sentinel into Thranduil's warband. I would say to give your wood elves more equipment, 5 sets of throwing daggers on the wood elves will improve your ranged ability nicely and come to exactly 10pts.

Now back to the original list, it is not a bad beginner list, but if you want to be more competitive some adjustment are needed. If you dropped the bows from the captains (they should be in the thick of the fighting anyway) you can use the extra point for spears and shields on you infantry. As it is you have 0 spears which will greatly hamper your combat ability. The shields are not as nessesary as the spears, but they will help you with S3 enemies and allow you to cordon off an area with shielding.

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:28 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ok, thanks for the suggestions guys, I have revised my list.

High Elves Army List:
Warband 1:
High elf Captain
Warband 2:
Gil-galad (leader)
High Elf Warrior x 12 (12 elven blades + Banner) All Kings Guard
500 points

26 models - 13/26 breaking point - 8 shots

I didn't really want to ally up with the wood elves too much, so I have gone for a pure high elf army. I definitely see the value of having Gil-Galad, hopefully putting him in a strong vanguard will be able to eat through my opponents, while the first warband stays back and gets a few shots in. If i'm out-numbered in shots I will try to charge with the first warband as well. Seems to me that having Elven blades is more effective than shields/spears especially if your outnumbered anyway. Also is it actually possible to mount Gil-Galad? It doesn't say in the options list, and I don't think there is any GW model for that.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

nzgolem wrote:
Ok, thanks for the suggestions guys, I have revised my list.

High Elves Army List:
Warband 1:
High elf Captain
Warband 2:
Gil-galad (leader)
High Elf Warrior x 12 (12 elven blades + Banner) All Kings Guard
500 points

26 models - 13/26 breaking point - 8 shots

I didn't really want to ally up with the wood elves too much, so I have gone for a pure high elf army. I definitely see the value of having Gil-Galad, hopefully putting him in a strong vanguard will be able to eat through my opponents, while the first warband stays back and gets a few shots in. If i'm out-numbered in shots I will try to charge with the first warband as well. Seems to me that having Elven blades is more effective than shields/spears especially if your outnumbered anyway. Also is it actually possible to mount Gil-Galad? It doesn't say in the options list, and I don't think there is any GW model for that.

Hmm check FAQ