All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 3:20 am

Post subject: Rohan Cavalry List
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have no experience whatsoever using Rohan, and in fact have none of the models, but it's always been on my "next to buy" list. Here is a 500 point list I made up within a few seconds.

Erkenbrand, Horse
10 Westfold Redshields

Eomer, Knight of the Pellenor, Armoured Horse
10 Westfold Redshields, Throwing Pears

Obvious weaknesses are too many models for Heroic Moves, but I figure with a line that spread out I'd be hard pressed to get them all into combat anyway. I have two powerful heroes to scare opponents, and I love Throwing Spears on cavalry - I figure if I'm going to be charging, I want to charge hard. I couldn't get another Warband that seemed worth it in, so I filled the last points with extra Riders. Powerful bow fire, and high courage.

At 750 points, I'd throw in Radagast on a Great Eagle. This gives wonderful tactical options and variety to the list, given Aura of Dismay to prevent counter-charges, and a Channeled Panic Steed to counter enemy cavalry. It also gives Brutal Power attacks (mainly Hurl to counter enemy numbers,) and Mounstrous Mount rules to again counter enemy cavalry, as well as an extra 2" movement.
Criticise please.

EDIT: I've noticed "Throwing Pears" and I'm leaving it cause it amuses me.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
 Post subject: Re: Rohan Cavalry List
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Your list's main weakness is obviously numbers. Most armies at 500-750 will have 30-50 units on average. Your's has 22 (23 at 750 points.) Luckily Erkenbrand can keep you from breaking but he is unfortunately easily killed at 750. Im not saying that your list is bad, but you do have to be aware that every model you lose will be painful.

Personally, I would use Gandalf the White as opposed to Radagast on an Eagle. I know this sounds weird, but Gandalf the White can also counter cavalry with Sorcerous blast, he has Blinding light which allows you to shoot and not be shot at, and he can defend against ringwraiths better which would target Erkenbrand. Additionally, Gandalf can hold your forces better if Erkenbrand dies, since Gandalf has a 12" standfast.

Essentially your list will have to utilize it's shooting to the maximum to make sure you dont lose, but if your opponent is Elves, Uruk Crossbows or Corsair Arbalests, you will lose that fight. Blinding light would tip the shooting war in your favor.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nice list although as a rohan player I find it a must to have sons of Eorl in your army these models are the definition of death and fear. Your heroes are a wise choice for the warbands to lead and some royal guards mounted will also do some magic in your list for not dying faster than the usual riders of Rohan.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'd mostly be facing Elves and Gondor. While elves out-shoot and out-fight me, i would at least outnumber them. I'd probably never take this army against High Elves though.

Gondor I could out-shoot, out-fight, and out-outmaneuver though, so I'd love to try this against them....
While i get the synergy with Gandalf, and while it is more themed, he doesn't quite have the dramatic flair of an eagle blasting apart a battle line while Radagast throws support spells around.
I'd probably never face enemy magic. Definitely not a ringwraith.
I have no Sons of Eorl, and while i like the profiles, thy're expensive models in an already low-model-count list, plus I'd have a hard time getting hold of their figures.

At 750 points, Erkenbrand would still be pretty survivable, given that most of Radagast's will used would be renew. At Defence 7, that's as high as Rohan gets.
This list is fun, that's what i like about it. It's fun to use and to fight against, is tactic-immersive, but not too competetive. I'm not looking to grind my enemy's faces in the dirt.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Idk. I like the list. It is good. You not only have ranged attacks but with your throwing pears your troops wont starve in a long siege.

Personally at 500 points id make a different list.

You can do several things. Im not saying your list is bad by any means but Id just do one of the following:
Erkenbrand on horse
8 redshields
Eomer of the riddermark on horse with shield
6 redshields
Eowyn on horse with armor amd shield
6 redshields all with Pears.

With that you have 3 more points for pears elsewhere.

Id use eomer and his large warband to handle the bulk of the killing.
Eowyn and hers would be to harass soft units spear support ranged units etc. Or cut off other cavalry if need be.
Erkenbrand can be used in a limited combat roll. What i mean is dont throw him in with a troll or like against Bolg. He needs to live for his horn.

In addition you can take his riders and throw them with eomer and have him link with eowyn to take out soft targets. That way you can really vut them up.

Yes this list doesnt have an epic hero but it can work. Either you will have more numbers and flexibility to say take on an orc whorde, and if they have an epic hero they will have less troops and you can kill the footsoldiers and avoid the big guys.

Also you have more might than your list which you need for heroic charges and you get three warbands which is vital with cavalry.

If you start off with bad deployment you may already be screwed for the game.
This way it will benefit you and also hinder your opponent by making him think about where to plCe his troops more carefully.

Same as above list except no eowyn. And you can have 23 riders and a lot of left over points for the delicious juicy pears