Elven Warrior

King's knights - 200

Eorl the young

Son of Eorl x5

King's Guard - 200

Gamling on horse with Royal Standard

Royal guard with horse with throwing spear x5

----

I was aiming to make a 500 point force so I am not quite sure what to do now. With the 100 points I have left I can't really make another warband to add some riders or outriders because the captain would eat to many points on his own. But adding 6 riders or 4 riders and 3 outriders between both warbands seems like it would put to much wait on their respective heroes. Does that make any sense?

(Okay going to side track for a minuet) I have heard that having more than 6 or so cavalry models in a single warband made it hard for the lead to get everyone in range of heroic movements or marches when the lines clash. Which would lead to some models getting stuck and swamped by foot troops. I have seen things like that happen to Dol Amroth knights so I am kind of worried about it.

Also I feel that it very important to have a banner with a cavalry force to help them win more fights and kill more things. So I have included Gamling with the Royal standard with the intent of having him pull double duty as might pool and banner holder. I had thought that since I was going to try to keep the banner out of fights anyway why not give it to Gamling so he can stay behind the lines to call heroics without fear of getting charged himself. He also has fate and an additional wound to keep the banner form going down before combat. As well as the potential to give Eorl extra might if his "hero of legend" thing fails me. He is a bit of a point sink though and that's the thing has me a bit bothered by having him. But would it be worth the trouble to have a royal guard with banner and a captain replace him?

So any advise or insight into how to best finish off this list would be much appreciated. If anyone has any thoughts about how I could get the best use out of Eorl too that would be great, as I have never actually used him before.

Post subject: Re: The riders of Eorl
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

While I don't know much about Rohan and can't really give you any solid list-building advice, there's two things I want to say.

Fist off, so far as I know, you are not allowed to post points values for units on the sight. I'm not sure if your combined values are fine, I just wanted to tell you that for future reference.

Second off, you are rather right that above 6 models cavalry warbands tend to get hard to deploy and lead with Heroic Moves and Marches, though I have found 7 or 8 models are not all that constraining. anything above that and you will have to deploy your captain in the middle to allow for a spread out deployment of the rest of the warband, which may not be your style, and isn't so beneficial when it comes to resisting AoE magical powers, like Natures Wrath or Channeled Chill Soul, as they will try to avoid your heroes as much as possible with those powers unless he can't resist as well.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well, Gamling with Eorl isn't that themed, but Eorl with Royal Standard is to I think it's ok.
I'd take 2 mounted captains with one shields instead of one son of eorl, to call heroic moves and marches (if you like to every turn). I think only getting Eorl the free might isn't worth the 5* pts.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gamling's standard is better if you have more Rohan heroes in your force, otherwise it's a bit points-heavy. With this few models in your force you're going to need Gamling in fights anyway to stop your troops getting swamped.
I'd say take Outriders or Riders of Rohan to up your bow number, so you can thin the enemy ranks before you charge in, as even with a charge as heavy as the Sons of Eorl's you'd be very heavily outnumbered.
You can safely add up to 8 cavalry models in a warband and still keep them easily in range of heroic moves, so I'd chuck in one more Son of Eorl and 5 Riders of Rohan. This brings you over your safe number for Heroic moves, but as you'd be using the Riders as both a meatshield in front of your Sons, and as bow troops, then that should work.
Depending on the enemy force, you'd want to either hang back and shoot a couple turns (if they're bow-weak Evil) or charge in as fast as possible (Elves). I'd say use the Riders and Royal Guard as your first wave charge, along with Eorl, then on the second turn of combat move the Sons of Eorl in to attack choice units (with Heroic combats from Gamling if possible).

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

All I have to say is Gamling and his standard are pretty useless at this pts value. Rohan has so many more worthwhile heroes. Id take out the Royal Guard by the way or maybe leave like two.