All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 1:18 am

Post subject: building army around moria
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:09 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey

So i started my Moria goblin army, and it is coming along quite nice.
Because I love the model i decided to buy a dragon to help my force, but now i cant get a fun to play and still good list around him.

Can u guys help me make a 700 point list using him? BTW i will most likely be facing a lot of elves with this army, both High and wood.

I got:
Dragon
durburz
druzhag the beastcaller
wild warg chieftain
Goblin captain with shield
Goblin shaman

4 prowlers
6 wild wargs
1 spider
5 gundabad blackshields + shield
17 goblins with bow
18 goblins with spear
18 goblins with shield
2 cave trolls

any help will be appreciated!

thanks
 Post subject: Re: building army around moria
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If I had a force to build with those models, here's what Id do:

1:
Dragon with Tough Hide and Breathe Fire
Cave Troll
4 gobs with shield
5 gobs with spear

2:
Durburz
6 gobs with shield
6 gobs with spear

3:
Goblin Shaman
6 gobs with shield
6 gobs with spear

38 Units, 7 might, a MAJOR unit in the dragon, some monster support with the cave troll, a shaman to keep your goblins alive, and Durburz for his stand fast, and his might. Hes a great hero for his points in a goblin army I think.

Breathe fire is vital. Make sure you hit some unit in the middle of a mass of troops. Ive managed to kill like 8-10 units with one fire breath.

What you do is since you have 3 chances to fire(1 for each will) fire one very early at a hero in the mass of enemy troops and try to kill him outright and hurt his warband. Especially if you can find a guy with one fate, or a basic captain, etc.

Then use the other breath how you see fit. Dont save it up though till the end of the game.
And the tough hide is vital because you CANNOT take a wound. If you fail a courage test you lose 350 points worth of stuff with upgrades.

Durburz is a good hero, and use his standfast. Id keep him and a Shaman together and have a mass of goblins fighting together.

Use the cave troll to smash through tough shield walls or hurl people through spear support. Also, attack heroes with him.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Fly may be better than fire on the dragon for the 12" movement to pick fights and ignore terrain.
With the dragon in combat most of the time to avoid shooting, and the need to save will to guarantee resisting a spell or passing courage if you do take a wound, you won't be able to breath fire more than once in a significant portion of the games.
Almost every F6 or lower hero will get murdered by the dragon in combat, so it's not too hard to get the points back. The big F6 heroes can be a bit of a problem with heroic strike forcing the dragon to burn might, but if they don't call a heroic strike, and you charged something you can guarantee the kill on within 12" (Assuming fly) of them, you can get on the heroes and rend with a heroic combat. 8 S7 attacks to wound is pretty much guaranteed to kill any hero when wounding on 3s.

Try to avoid the big heroes like Gil'galad with the Dragon until you have dealt with the rest of his army or you can heroic strike with the dragon somewhere else and can barge/heroic combat into him without them calling a heroic strike of their own. if you don't get the opportunity to do that, just tie them up with a single goblin every turn so they are forced to either burn might to call a heroic combat or only kill a single goblin.

If you are facing elves, you will probably want to bring some bows; goblin bows may suck, but they are cheap, so even with the dragon you can get a decent number of them, and being evil, give some neat tactical options (such as killing your own models in combat). Against wood elves, Galadhrim, and mirkwood elves with only D3/4, you will probably get a few kills, and if even 1 high elf dies, which is likely, the bows will have payed for themselves. They also help in dealing with the low movement of the goblins by adding a ranged threat. More target saturation is generally good practice for dealing with the elves to begin with. The cave troll is a threat when it gets in; the bows will do damage outside of combat or kill your own goblin that is fighting a big hero to stop heroics, wounding the dragon will force courage checks and possibly make it leave play, and killing the other goblins will break you faster.

Dragon: Fly, Tough Hide (probably leader because defense 9 and move 12")
8 moria goblins
4x bows, 2xspears, 2xshields

Durburz
cave troll
3 Gundabad Blackshields
7 moria goblins
3x bows, 4x spears

Shaman
2 Gundabad Blackshields
10 moria goblins
4x bows, 4x spears, 2x shields

34 models, 11 bows, 6 might (shaman uses it for fury 100% of games)

Blackshields are in for D6 (Elves need 6s to wound); you would generally be feinting anyway, so the re-roll on 1s is pretty much irrelevant.

Last edited by Asamu on Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 7 times in total.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

His numbers are high enough that he can tie up troops with his Troll and Goblins that he can hold back and breathe fire for a couple turns.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

LordoftheBrownRing´s seems good, it has everything you need.
I am not a experienced with the Hobbit rules, however, here is my list for you:

Warband 1 12/12
Dragon with Wyrmtongue; Tough hide;
6 Moria Goblin Warrior with Spear;
1 Moria Goblin Warrior with Shield;
5 Gundabad Blackshield
----
Warband 2 12/12
Durbûrz, the Goblin King of Moria
6 Moria Goblin Warrior with Spear;
6 Moria Goblin Warrior with Shield;
----
Warband 3 7/12
Moria Goblin Shaman
3 Moria Goblin Warrior with Spear;
3 Moria Goblin Warrior with Shield;
1 Cave Troll
----
Total: 700 Pts. ; Units: 34 ; Might:7

Like you can see, it is very similar to LordoftheBrownRing´s list but it includes the Blachshields. I think, against elves, they are very good, because of their re-roll. I chose wyrmtongue instead of breath fire because I think that it could be hard for the Dragon to face for example Gil-Galad with his high F. If you can transfix him, he is less dangerous. Because of his survival instinct, every wound is dangerous, so he should save the W for a failed courage test.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Wow thanks for all the quick reactions.

I can see use for all the different dragon set ups, but for now I think that i will go for Breathe fire and tough hide, but i will certainley use all of them.

I see that with a Dragon swarm is the way to go, so that is what i will do.

The help was much appreciated guys!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

No problem. Maybe you could also think about taking one or two bat swarm(s). They are working very well in cooperation with a dragon/troll. Maybe you could take the bats from druzhag´s base.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:08 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ezer123 wrote:
Wow thanks for all the quick reactions.

I can see use for all the different dragon set ups, but for now I think that i will go for Breathe fire and tough hide, but i will certainley use all of them.

I see that with a Dragon swarm is the way to go, so that is what i will do.

The help was much appreciated guys!!!

Of course! And I'm sure as speak for us all wishing you luck. Hopefully you burn them to the ground