All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:30 pm

Post subject: Is fury even worth it anymore?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So you want to cast channeled fury eh? You have to spend a will point and a point of might all before you even roll to see if it worked or not? Well you just rolled a one. You just lost might and will for nothing.

So who still uses fury?
 Post subject: Re: Is fury even worth it anymore?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ehm.. everybody who can do so?

For starters, you don't have to spend the Might, if you expect to need it later on. Generally, however, one would spend two Will and a Might. Very decent chance of getting the spell off, after which 1/3rd of your guys won't die and (often equally important with armies of goblins and orcs) won't run off the moment your force is broken.

It's massive.

That one game in every so many where you fail to cast is certainly annoying, but that is easily compensated for by all those games where you give incredible protection to your entire army and don't have to worry about courage tests.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oh I thought you could only spend one will per turn...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You can only cast 1 spell per turn, but that's the only limit. If you've got the Witch-king, and for some reason feel like spending all his 20 Will casting a single spell: go ahead! (Not recommended, obviously, although I have once thrown 8 Will into casting Black Dart. Because I could. Mind you though, it did succeed and most certainly killed that single Ranger of Gondor. That'll teach him not to hide in the forest while I drive by.)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Fury is extremely annoying when you have terrifying characters in your army.

The c2 goblins and orcs are suddenly fearless and will always charge Gil-Galad. Add to this the fact that fury can save you casualties, and the fact that it could stop a game changing heroic combat, and it's definately one of the best spells in the game.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah, it's great. Throw 2 Will and 1 Might, and then until either your shaman dies or gets hit with Sap Will 1/3 of your guys get back up each time they die, and won't run off. It's a bit of a one-trick pony, but it does what it says on the tin and in the thick of combat, even a turn or two of it in effect can help massively.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

chiefhugh wrote:
So you want to cast channeled fury eh? You have to spend a will point and a point of might all before you even roll to see if it worked or not? Well you just rolled a one. You just lost might and will for nothing.

So who still uses fury?

No offense but this is one of the most shocking posts I've ever seen.

Fury is ridiculously powerful. It's one of the best easy to cast spells in the game.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:53 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

...yeah, and don't I know it!

LoBR brings it with the Fury!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In a 600 army Im not afraid to bring two Shamans. Thats how powerful it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I am a full on user of Fury.
For Goblin armies I bring Two shaman and the King with his Mithril Crown. I end up keeping every one of my goblin horde fully on the board after breaking and I can annoy Elves all day long. It is very handy if bringing this particular horde force. You do have to be careful when against great archers, but with good cover and a keen eye on the enemy you can hold fairly good. Gobs still die in droves, but it does help for sure.

It is also handy in uruk forces as you get less numbers and will break sooner, this way your brutes will stay on task a bit longer when battles get hairy (it is no fun if they don't get a bit exciting).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sithious wrote:
For Goblin armies I bring Two shaman and the King with his Mithril Crown. I end up keeping every one of my goblin horde fully on the board after breaking and I can annoy Elves all day long. It is very handy if bringing this particular horde force. You do have to be careful when against great archers, but with good cover and a keen eye on the enemy you can hold fairly good. Gobs still die in droves, but it does help for sure.

It is also handy in uruk forces as you get less numbers and will break sooner, this way your brutes will stay on task a bit longer when battles get hairy (it is no fun if they don't get a bit exciting).

I love that the mithril crown doesn't have a range.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sithious wrote:

Every time I make an Isengard army besides vrasku a shaman is my main thought.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So My experience is entirely anecdotal but I have awesome luck with fury. To the point where my friends dont like me playing with it haha.

I had a game recently where a couple of my ferals took something like 5-6 wounds between them all and just tanked them all with fury.

I like it a ton so I will keep using it
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:46 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

A shaman is always my second Isengard hero choice after Vrasku. Channel Fury in turn 1 and throw 2 Will at it. Every now and again you'll get that double 1/2 and turn your shaman into a glorified spearman but most of the time it'll come off and it becomes a complete game-changer.

Everyone gets excited about the 5+ save but the real bonus is the auto-pass courage tests, as soon as you get broken that's absolutely invaluable and has won me countless games.

My Isengard list won 3 GBHL tournaments last year (and placed highly in a bunch of others) and Fury was a MAJOR part of those victories - one of the best and most overpowered spells in the game.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dr Grant wrote:
A shaman is always my second Isengard hero choice after Vrasku. Channel Fury in turn 1 and throw 2 Will at it. Every now and again you'll get that double 1/2 and turn your shaman into a glorified spearman but most of the time it'll come off and it becomes a complete game-changer.

Everyone gets excited about the 5+ save but the real bonus is the auto-pass courage tests, as soon as you get broken that's absolutely invaluable and has won me countless games.

My Isengard list won 3 GBHL tournaments last year (and placed highly in a bunch of others) and Fury was a MAJOR part of those victories - one of the best and most overpowered spells in the game.

In addition to what he said, I figured Id just add a few things.

1-Ive used fury dozens and dozens of times casting the 1 might 2 will first turn. The only time I ever remember failing was when I did 1 will the first turn(for a change to try and use the Shaman's transfix later) and then second turn another will. I failed both. So use two the first time. But honestly, by the percentages I only failed like 3% of the time.....

In addition the 5+ save is wonderful, but the fearless bonus is invaluable. I took down a Mordor troll with ferals in one turn.....the first turn he got to combat against my guys because I had like 5 ferals charge and trap him with fury. It was against a good opponent and he immediately targeted my shaman to get rid of fury because he knew how valuable it was. Be careful against wraiths. They sap your will youre screwed.

Think about the math. Even if you only have one warband of Uruks....you save 33% of your wounds, so you save 4 automatically. Then when the 4 are left, you save 1 automatically.

So if you use berserkers, or ferals, youre saving minimum 60-75 points a game. And thats the bare minimum. If you go all Isengard youll like save twice your points with fury.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Auto pass courage? Am I missing sonething? what part of the rules gives auto pass courage?

EDIT: holy Devlan Mud fury was taught to me wrong. nvm just reread it
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yes sir. It passes courage for charging terror units, for when youre broken, and saves wounds. Always read the book. Ive been taught many rules by people AND POSTS incorrectly. Some Im still finding out these days here and there.

Like I didnt know you can attempt to jump over prone models till a week ago when I read the rule book again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Like I didnt know you can attempt to jump over prone models till a week ago when I read the rule book again.

Didnt know that either! Im pretty newly returned to the hobby. The last couple months I've just followed what the other players I've played with have said mainly because I didnt have the time to read. Now im rereading the rules and the FAQ. Lots of stuff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Fury's great, although my rolling has all my regular gaming partners convinced that its strength is the Fate roll... I wish I had access to Aura of Command, though; 12" and not tied to race?

The things I give up for Evil...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:20 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Definitely worth it, Fury rocks :)