All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:56 pm

Post subject: Do any of you like using Castellans of Dol Guldur
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Its such a pretty model I feel bad not using them. Any of you have experience with them? Any strategies for using them would be nice.
 Post subject: Re: Do any of you like using Castellans of Dol Guldur
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Keep them fighting regular troops and try not to attack many troops at once.

If you lose fights and Will these guys are going to be useless quickly. I say theyre great against low fight and 5 defense or less troops. Against elves with high fight or like Dwarves with high defense they can be a points sink.

Ive seen them have success against me but I personally wouldnt risk them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I take them every chance I can. I place two in front of my troll as use them as meat shields so my trolls gets in the fray before getting turned into a pin cushion. I've played with them several times and they have always been worth more then their points. Just yesterday in compelled aragorn out from behind a bush. They along with my troll killed aragorn in one round.
They are beautiful models which give you a chance to really show your painting skills. their stats are amazing with the always handy terror effect.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You guys confused me hardcore for a minute with the same profile picture.

Lol anyway they are really nice models. And I guess Ill have to try them some time. Always wondered, but unfortunately I got rid of two of mine. I only have 1 left.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:48 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
You guys confused me hardcore for a minute with the same profile picture.

HAHA. Yah I was thinking that in the another post. Need to change that.

I have three. I tried them out earlier. They were ok vs Goblins and men and elves if they had support.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:45 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

chiefhugh wrote:
They are beautiful models which give you a chance to really show your painting skills. their stats are amazing with the always handy terror effect.

they are great models indeed. But they require lots of thinking to be used properly. No Might points is quite an handicap when engaging other heroes. For the same price, your opponent may use a Dwarf Captain with shield, who has 2 might and enough defence to force even a S5 model to roll a six to score a wound.
They are great against low defence troops, having a 50% chance to strike down a lightarmored unit, but even an unnamed captain can cause trouble. They can tear apart a Rohan infantry warband (provided no Erkenbrand is included).

Rather than take two of them, I'd take a Mordor Troll. That's something that will always strike fear in the heart of the opponent.
Or, if I have to use them to shield something more important, I'd use 10 Orcs (also increasing my numbers and therefore my "limit break")
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:19 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I was keen to try them out but the one time I have I failed 12 fate rolls in a row and he died :sad: . Very unusual for that to happen but made me realise the lack of might can be an issue.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Deadchris wrote:
I was keen to try them out but the one time I have I failed 12 fate rolls in a row and he died :sad: . Very unusual for that to happen but made me realise the lack of might can be an issue.

Whoa. That would have gave me a Nervous breakdown. Still, it confirms my point: a pure fight oriented hero with no might and one wound is not that good.

still, the model is awesome.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dikey wrote:
chiefhugh wrote:

they are great models indeed. But they require lots of thinking to be used properly. No Might points is quite an handicap when engaging other heroes. For the same price, your opponent may use a Dwarf Captain with shield, who has 2 might and enough defence to force even a S5 model to roll a six to score a wound.
They are great against low defence troops, having a 50% chance to strike down a lightarmored unit, but even an unnamed captain can cause trouble. They can tear apart a Rohan infantry warband (provided no Erkenbrand is included).

Rather than take two of them, I'd take a Mordor Troll. That's something that will always strike fear in the heart of the opponent.
Or, if I have to use them to shield something more important, I'd use 10 Orcs (also increasing my numbers and therefore my "limit break")

WRong Wrong wrong..... THEY DO NOT COST like a dwarf captain, its way less... if you would say a moria goblin captain with 1 gear piece on it I would beleived in you.

To use castellans you aint gonna get them just 1..

Castellans provides a thing heroes can´t afford. use his will to absorv wounds, this means that its excelent to absorv low valued captains in a fight and let them beat you and use all their might to afford a kill. Those guys wont be able to last a castellan all rounds.... heck... 2 of my castellans holded elrond in combat for like 8 turns which was basically a great portion of the entire game and elrond wasnt using his might to win combats... he was more like using the might to win the ties else he would eat up 4S5 attacks from the fiends... he was left with no might point after that match.

If you want to hold an oponent nasty model, plz get castellans, no models get this job done better (apart from the necromancer, although is hell more expensive).

Castellans in the same way as above prove themselves to be skillfull assassins, let the enemy heroes rage trying to kill a castellan and when there weak and fragile, strike home with morgul blades... you have to be utterly patient when playing with them and see when its usefull to use their morgul blade...

Castellans worst enemy its magic and its the only way that can drain quicker their methods to staying in the field, but also can prove their salvation... if the enemy pop nature´s wrath or similar spells, the castellans are a cheap and effective way to nullify the power as you can roll so many dices to neutralize it and then treat the castellan as a regular barad dur soldier with a sword and fight 5.

Apart from this all their rules apply, terror soo on...

Best way possible is if you can afford to play with 2 minimum... as 1 will be hardly noticed and can´t hold all out line enemy heroes or their combinations, 2+ will give your oponent something to think on and trust me, oponents do underestimate castellan quite often and as same rrate they always try to avoid fighting them for a good reason :P

* ps * if you roll terrible wrong on your will absortion, just jump off a bridge 1st (joking) avoid all nasty fights with castellans as they should never, ever go alone on to fight a nasty thing on their own... then you get yourselves surprised why you failed 12 rolls of 4+ to avoid 1 wound (which is like a 0.000001% chance to let that happen and being extremely negative and extremists on examples on how you wanna motivate some 1 to use em or not)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

fight an oponent like this....

get 3 named nazguls on armoured horse (1 on fellbeast) and 2 castellans for every nazgul, then tell me how it went facing that :P (thats around 700pts)