All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:44 am

Post subject: 750pts Moria - Dwellers below
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi, I am going to attend my first tournament next month. While I have loads of models available, I have a 99% backlog, so I mostly have to go with models I have already painted.

Three standard scenarios: Domination, Hold Ground, Lords Of Battle.

Only heroes can use special strikes.

4 points for a large victory... 2 for a draw ... 1 for a small defeat etc ...

This is what I am planning to play:

Druzagh The Beastcaller
2x Cave Troll
2x Bat Swarm
8x Giant Spider

Wild Warg Chieftain
10x Wild Warg

Spider Queen

---

750 pts, 25 units, no shooting, 5 might

---

Now I know this isn't the most competitive list. But as I said in the introduction, I am bound by the models I have already painted. And I like the theme :)

However, there's still 6 weeks to go. I believe I own every Moria model exept for Groblog. I can still assemble and paint a couple of models in time for the tournament.

If you people have suggestions that keep the force themed and maybe fill any weak spots I have left, I'd be very grateful.

Thank you.
 Post subject: Re: 750pts Moria - Dwellers below
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Who's the leader?

I believe this army will make you lose any domination game. 25 units are way too few for a 750 pts game, which is a problem. Plus, if divided (something you have to do in Domination) this army will lose its strenght. On the other hand, it could do well in an Hold Ground. Using a channeled fury and keeping everyone inside the radius of the spell will give your opponent quite the hard time.

Another problem is that any army this big you will face usually has also a big hero who can match a cave troll and/or a spellcaster. Boromir CotWT alone has more might than all your heroes put together and can single handedly destroy the Wargs if they are far from the fury. A warband of Elves archers (there are a lot of those around!) can wound a Spider or a Bat on a 4. Even the common bow needs only a 5 to wound. That makes your units very vulnerable against those models.
Spiders are good units, strong ad with a decent fight value. However, the defence is a serious drawback: any unit with multiple attacks has a 25% chance of killing a spider in a single turn.

Despite being small, is an army who, if really well played, can be fun.
Keep the Beastcaller safe: he is the core of the army. Without him, the army will collapse. Also, try to keep as many as possibile in the fury radius: the overall defence is low and so is the courage.
Bats can fly and the spiders can move where others can: those can be very useful skill to bring them where needed.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

hmm you could make something I did a while ago on a forum post here...

but with some modifications...

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=27219&p=347009&hilit=+dwellers#p347009

Warband 1
Bloated captain (goblin town captain)
12 bloated goblins (goblin town goblins)

Warband 2
Bloated captain (goblin town captain)
12 bloated goblins (goblin town goblins)

Warband 3 (Ashrâk hunting party)
Ashrâk
2 gundabad blackshields (Ashrâk personnal bodyguard)
8 goblin warriors with shield
2 venom-back spiders

Warband 4 (Kraslag tamer´s)
Kraslag (moria goblin shaman)
5 Moria goblins with shield
4 Moria Goblins with spear
1 cave troll

Warband 5
Spider Queen (the blind queen)

Warband 6
Trashk (Gundabad blackshield Shaman)
Krashi and Krusha (Trashk´s warg pets)
Dweller inthe dark

This is 750pts and got over twice your numbers and alot diferent kind of units to field in.

I would strongly advice you something like this...

This army is rounded to fight anything at any scenario, even on Domination if you divide the army, the force is well balanced to take fair portions of either side and work from it.

You got 3 major monsters on this list:
- cave trolls
- dweller
- spider queen

You got alot goblins:
- goblin town ones
- moria goblins

you got some heavy armoured goblins:
- captain
- some soldiers

you got 3 nasty shamans
- 1 is named for spiders and still work like any other shaman
- another is regular shaman
- the last one its an offensive shaman to take out weapons of powerfull characters or crack S6 tremors

and still:

you got some wild beasts, not many but some...

You could replace all the moria goblins I got (except goblin town) for warg packs stuff...

I hardly see people needing more than 4 spiders to be honest and they are expensive and you need numbers to tie things up while the spiders do their work...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dikey, Druzagh is the leader. I played with him before. But I never cast fury. Enrage beast is very strong, essentially killing two regular models whenever cast on a Giant Spider.

I do believe that Spider Queen and the Troll/Bat Swarm team should be able to win some fights against big heroes.

Durburz could add some Might to the list, but he's so not themed.

Galanur, thank you for the advise, but I just can't paint up a full Goblin horde within six weeks. I have a job, a wife and daughter and other hobbies :-)

I could, however, paint some models. So if you have any suggestions to improve, without having to paint a new army... I d be very grateful.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:05 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I've never used Druzagh, so I can't tell. But I still think you should use fury: wargs and bats have very low courage value, and your top defence value is 4, with only the trolls having 6. That means lots of wounds and having a very hard time if your opponent is using Aura of Dismay.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:21 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

good list in a good theme but as yo say there is not competitive to the scenarios that you say (sorry for my english I am spanish)
first i'm love the druzhag atributes and the model is oligatoried to 750 points
the warg chieftain cost pretty for her funcion and his might is notvery dangerous only drug by druzhag..
if you paint durbuz include him there are precious and very good soldier 4 of combat d6 3 point of might and his rule of 12"
spider quenn is a good election and if you use and heroic combat with them and previously is good posicionated and drug by druzhag you can kill many heroes
you migh include fury,a shaman or ashrak
and you can include a captain and a gundabad captain is better than a random moria captain
you should include a good number on gundabad blackshield support by goblins with spear and the fury the hold ground are a very afordable scenario
and with druzhag include some venon spiders if you include ashrak
many swar bats and many wargs
and you have movility to fight the domination scenario
with the other points you can include random moria shields and spears and some beast as warg marauder,here a good list I believe :
(i cannot include all that i mencioned but you have alternatifs :rofl: )
warband 1
durbuz
6 gundabad blackshields
6 moria spears
warband 2
gundabad captain
6 gundabad blackshields
6 moria spears
warband 3
shaman
11 moria goblins wit the weapons that you prefer(shield and more spears are recomendally)
warband 4
druzhag (leader)
4 wargs
4giant spiders
2 bat swarm
warband 5
spider queen
748 points
i think that is a very good list but the list that mencioned galanur is also good I like him :oops: