All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:48 pm

Post subject: Escalation League Angmar Army Lists - Help Wanted
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So, if some of you have not yet noticed, the DC Hobbit League is running an escalation league, to which I am participating. We have already played our 300 point matches; the 500 point matches are this weekend - then 650 the next, and after that 800. For the tournament I am playing Angmar. My 300 point list consisted of the following:

Warband 1: Angmar
Hill Troll Chieftain, Burdhur (Leader)
- 5 Orcs with shield
- 5 Orcs with spear

Warband 2: Angmar
Barrow Wight
- 4 Orcs with shield
- 4 Orcs with spear
- 1 Orc with banner and shield

I did fairly well with this list. It was pretty nasty to have both magic and a 3 might monster in 300 points. I am currently tied for second place with two others with 11 points. The two tied for first place have 12 points. Burdhur was a real beast here, easily the MVP. In one game versus Isengard, of all the enemies killed, he killed all but 3 of them...and most through throwing. Funny enough though, all that throwing bit me in the butt in my game against the Eastern Kingdoms, where I broke both mine and the enemy's force with one of my throws accidentally killing one of my spearmen. Still won that one, however.

As for my other lists, I am considering the following:

500 points:

- 6 Orcs with shield
- 6 Orcs with spear

Barrow Wight
- 4 Orcs with shield
- 5 Orcs with spear
- 1 Cave Troll

Warband 3: Angmar
Barrow Wight

Warband 4: Angmar
Barrow Wight

I like this list a lot. 3 Barrow Wights will be a hassle for any enemy. Another thought was to swap out two of the Barrow Wights for another Cave Troll, leaving me with 20 points and no idea how to spend it.

650 points:

- 11 Orcs with spear

Barrow Wight
- 1 Cave Troll

Warband 3: Angmar
Barrow Wight
- 3 Orcs with spear

Warband 4: Angmar
Barrow Wight

Warband 5: Isengard
Thrydan Wolfsbane on horse
- 12 Dunlendings with shield

Now a lot of you are going to wonder the inclusion of Isengard. Its for theme Yes, theme. They are meant to represent the Hillmen of Rhudaur, as well as get some S4 into the list. I think this list is strong. With the S4, Thyrdan's 12" Stand Fast, the two trolls, and the three Barrow Wights...that sounds pretty damn good to me. And I'm pretty sure Thrydan and Burdhur will chew through whatever tough stuff my opponent has, especially if its paralyzed. Like the last list, 3 Barrow Wights will be a pain at any level, I think. Again, like the last list I was considering removing 2 Barrow Wights for another Cave Troll, but am left with 20 points and no idea how to spend it.

800 points:

- 11 Orcs with spear and shield

Warband 2: Isengard
Thrydan Wolfsbane on horse
- 12 Dunlendings with shield

Warband 3:Angmar
Barrow Wight
- 1 Cave Troll with troll chain

Warband 4:Angmar
Barrow Wight
- 1 Cave Troll

Warband 5:Angmar
Barrow Wight
- 1 Cave Troll

This is probably my favorite. Sure, model count is really low, and 1 less than the previous list, but there's 4 monsters, 3 Barrow Wights, and plenty of S4, as well as Thrydan to chew through just about anything (that's paralyzed). I pretty much think it follows the same points as the last list, just with more monstrous power as opposed to bodies. The troll chain is there just to fill points, who knows if it will even do something (likely not).

So what do you think? Are the lists strong? Do you think there is a good transition between one list and the next? Do you think they will all perform well? Any changes you would make? And anything you think I could do with the remaining points in some of the lists? If you need to know the armies I will be facing, you can find the list of the escalation league members and their armies on the DC Hobbit League website: http://www.dchobbitleague.com/escalation-league---february-2015.html

(P.S. Mordor means Trolls. The guy is basically just playing a bunch of Mordor Trolls...which is doing him rather well actually...)
 Post subject: Re: Escalation League Angmar Army Lists - Help Wanted
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I do not know, to me Barrow Wights are kind of to many. I would not use more than 2. What scenarios are you going to be playing? :)
Some good arrow volleys can almost break you and for sure can kill Burdhur without problems. He is well protected against heroes for the Barrows, but can still loose combat against troop and die because of your low numbers. Potentially he can die in the first turn, while the barrows are trying to immobilize a hero with 3+ will
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Reyzhen wrote:
I do not know, to me Barrow Wights are kind of to many. I would not use more than 2. What scenarios are you going to be playing? :)
Some good arrow volleys can almost break you and for sure can kill Burdhur without problems. He is well protected against heroes for the Barrows, but can still loose combat against troop and die because of your low numbers. Potentially he can die in the first turn, while the barrows are trying to immobilize a hero with 3+ will

3 Barrow Wights might be a bit much, yes, but I am basing it off of what armies and units I might see. Bolg, Mordor and Isengard Trolls, as well as other big, scary beasties and characters. Plus 3 Barrow Wights will most definitely paralyze near every character I come up against, as well as give me great coverage so I am not taking one or two turns to re-position before I can shoot off a paralyze. Plus, what if one gets shot dead before I can use him? Still, any suggestions for alternatives? Maybe find the points for a Ringwraith, or Taskmaster? Or maybe a Drummer...and use the excess points for more troops? Or maybe no new characters and just go with more troops?

We are only playing To the Death! scenarios. Makes for simpler, and often faster games.

As for Burdhur...yeah he could die first turn. And that might happen one game. But its a risk I'm willing to take. He's the toughest choice for a Leader, bar a Ringwraith. Plus if I do have to face down enemy archers, I'll just use his or Thrydan's might to heroic march across the field, or screen him behind terrain or other monsters so they can't, or can't easily, shoot him. Its not like I am at the total mercy of shooting. And its not like he's D6, which means all but crossbows need 6's to wound. Still, you are right, shooting could be my bane, not just for Burdhur, but my core troops too, though it really depends on who I face. Some, if not a lot of armies, will likely have little to no shooting at all, based upon what I have seen so far.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:40 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

New lady of light could destroy your strategy, some elven heroes too, all the troops with S4 could be devastating, same for cavalry that shoots. I think you should have a Ringwraith and more troops. If you want to maintain the Barrow Wight strategy I don' t know how to help. If you want to change, well a Shade is still powerful with the right numbers.

I understood your strategy, I mean you paralyse the heroes and throw them in the troops face, or something like this...same in the next turn, since you have some monsters and 3 Barrow, you can make them exchange the hero target....but is really risky in the first turns, let' s say that the enemy understand that and put all the heroes against one of the monster, probably your leader...he let you paralyse everyone except 1 (with more numbers he will most likely have lot of guys around) which mean high risk that you do not win the fight and paralyse for nothing, until you end your will. In the same time his troops are able to kill a lot because the monsters are not making them go down. Same if he shoots you, until you come near and he just wait you in some strange positions like this /\/\/\/\ where he avoid some of the power of the hurling.

I mean, it' s really effective when works...but high risk for me :)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:40 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think the list has strengths, but with such a low model count you are taking a gamble. First, once everyone learns the army's 'trick' they will find ways to play around it. Namely, everyone will do their best to avoid the trolls and wights, and kill off all those D5 troops to break the army and watch the rest of it run away. At 800 pts, you'd be better served by more troops and if possible a wraith in my opinion.

Also expect to see Angry Galadriel 2.0 start popping up when people see that many barrow wights (I'm painting one to keep in reserve in the case for just this kind of occasion actually!).

That said try it out in a few practice games and see!