All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:09 am

Post subject: Is Mirkwood Cavalry worth it?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:47 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello all. I finally registered after stalking the One RIng for a year! Seems like a great bunch of fans...I wish there were more of you here in the U.S.

Anyway, I have a question about the new Mirkwood Cavalry. Has anyone found them yet to be a welcome addition to an army? I'm having trouble deciding to spend the money on Finecast cavalry with their point cost and low defense (without the option of a shield! ... Why GW, why?)

I get that they could be useful in certain scenarios where speed may help, but will they survive until they can be used?
 Post subject: Re: Is Mirkwood Cavalry worth it?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I personally found them to be pretty good warriors. You just need to stay out of sight for bowfire. Once they arrived in combat they are lethal, 2 of mine killed the Witch-Kings with morgul crown in one turn!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:44 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I wouldn't use them in the normal manner as cavalry but I can definitely see their use. They cost the same as a Palace Guard with spear and shield and, whilst they drop their defence, the extra punch of a charging cavalry model (particularly with the elves' high Fight Value) will be very useful. I plan on taking two and putting them in a normal warband, keep them behind your main battle line where they should get at least 2 In The Ways against any shooting. Then, when the lines clash, send them out on a flank (or one on each) and just help punch through the edge of the lines.

They're a very cheap way of getting elf cavalry on the board, keep them safe from bow-fire and I think they'll easily earn their points back.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Siegrend wrote:
Hello all. I finally registered after stalking the One RIng for a year! Seems like a great bunch of fans...I wish there were more of you here in the U.S.

Anyway, I have a question about the new Mirkwood Cavalry. Has anyone found them yet to be a welcome addition to an army? I'm having trouble deciding to spend the money on Finecast cavalry with their point cost and low defense (without the option of a shield! ... Why GW, why?)

I get that they could be useful in certain scenarios where speed may help, but will they survive until they can be used?

Hey man. First of all, hit me up for a game some time. Im in Chicago, and I know some others. Here on this site in fact.

Anyway, welcome.

Let me say, Im always one to not respect elven cavalry.

Idk if they are worth how much they cost in the store as opposed to other units you could be filling your army with, but I believe they are worth their points. If you put them in a warband with Thranduil....lets say 4-6 of them......

On the charge you get 2 attacks at fight 5 with an additional roll of the dice for the banner.

So I believe 3 fight five dice will win almost any fight against most armies.

In addition, if you get counter charged they still have 2 attacks effectively making them a softer, cheaper son of Eorl style model.

Thranduil will likely not die. And as long as you put him in the middle of all of them he will likely not be compelled out of range as well.

I say test them with a galadhrim knight proxy or some other cavalry and see if you like.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks guys for the replies. I'm a big fan of cavalry, Rohan being one of my favorite armies. ( I love the Sons of Eorl LotBR!) I always have a lot of Might in those armies to make sure I can get the charge, but if I cannot, they always have shields to help survive the attack. That was my concern with the Mirkwood cavalry.

But you all make some good points, particularly with a banner in Thranduil and Fight 5 to help win battles. Thanks again for the replies!

On a personal note, Lord of the Brown Ring. I should have known by your Avatar that you were a Chicagoan. Are you part of Adeptus Windy City? Where do you play? I live about 5 minutes away from the old GW Bunker in Downers Grove.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Siegrend wrote:
Thanks guys for the replies. I'm a big fan of cavalry, Rohan being one of my favorite armies. ( I love the Sons of Eorl LotBR!) I always have a lot of Might in those armies to make sure I can get the charge, but if I cannot, they always have shields to help survive the attack. That was my concern with the Mirkwood cavalry.

But you all make some good points, particularly with a banner in Thranduil and Fight 5 to help win battles. Thanks again for the replies!

On a personal note, Lord of the Brown Ring. I should have known by your Avatar that you were a Chicagoan. Are you part of Adeptus Windy City? Where do you play? I live about 5 minutes away from the old GW Bunker in Downers Grove.

Sons of Eorl are tough mofos. I think these elves will do well for you.

And yes, I am part of AWC. Im on the LOTR and Bolt Action forums. Im headed to Adepticon for the tourney. Are you?

That Games Workshop is within 30 mins of me.

If you ever wanna get a game going, Im down. Im assuming the Acadia on the Green location is closest to you. I just have to hop on Ogden and Im there in half an hour.

Right now Im out of the US till March 11 or 12 but Id like to play after. Also, Games Plus is nice, especially on week days if you could ever manage. Its further but theres like 10 tables and empty on week days. Also, theres tons and tons of terrain, you never have to give up a table, and the game room is seperate from the store. No employee will ever bother or hurry you also. Thanks to Rangefinder for that find.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:43 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm tempted to say that shields aren't quite as valuable for cavalry as they are for infantry. Obviously +1 defense is great for everybody, but cavalry can't use the Shielding special rule.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:26 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:

Sons of Eorl are tough mofos. I think these elves will do well for you.

And yes, I am part of AWC. Im on the LOTR and Bolt Action forums. Im headed to Adepticon for the tourney. Are you?

That Games Workshop is within 30 mins of me.

If you ever wanna get a game going, Im down. Im assuming the Acadia on the Green location is closest to you. I just have to hop on Ogden and Im there in half an hour.

Right now Im out of the US till March 11 or 12 but Id like to play after. Also, Games Plus is nice, especially on week days if you could ever manage. Its further but theres like 10 tables and empty on week days. Also, theres tons and tons of terrain, you never have to give up a table, and the game room is seperate from the store. No employee will ever bother or hurry you also. Thanks to Rangefinder for that find.

Yes, the Acadia on the Green is about 10-15 minutes away. I've been going to Games Plus for about 25 years...yes, I'm old. Though I've never used their gaming room, it was just so far away, but I'm game for trying when time allows! I am not entering into the Adepticon tourney because while I am an avid collector, I am apparently NOT an avid painter, and don't have an army painted for it. I hope to amend this situation in the near future. I usually go as a spectator though. Let me know when you are back in town and we can try to get a game in!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:29 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I only own two and and used them a couple times, they work really well to round off the end of your battle line and to help clear the enemies there. It really is a matter of protecting them from bowfire and picking the right fights for them to enter. Especially if you only have 2, the enemy doesn't really pay attention to them till they start killing things and by then you have (hopefully) begun to clear up a section of their line.

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

No advise on the cavalry, sorry.
here is a link to the GBHL you tube channel,
they run SOE vs. Knights of Rivendale.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gz84_Iv5Q4 ... iRTKnAglAj
I watched it just to get some cavalry tips.
I did pick up 3 Sons of Erol last month though.
But welcome to the OR Forum!

Yeah, LOBR and I try to get a game in, but my schedule is tight,
family, work, blah blah blah...
I will be heading to the Adepticon tourney,
still need to figure out my army.
...and get the thing painted *groan*.

I live a mile from Games Plus.
With enough advance notice I can schedule a game, *double-groan*.
And yeah, LOBR and I are "older" as well, hahaha.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Siegrend wrote:
Yes, the Acadia on the Green is about 10-15 minutes away. I've been going to Games Plus for about 25 years...yes, I'm old. Though I've never used their gaming room, it was just so far away, but I'm game for trying when time allows! I am not entering into the Adepticon tourney because while I am an avid collector, I am apparently NOT an avid painter, and don't have an army painted for it. I hope to amend this situation in the near future. I usually go as a spectator though. Let me know when you are back in town and we can try to get a game in!

Pff....I dont even have an army either lol. I need to paint and/or acquire parts of it still.

But theres a separate competition for painting/favorite army and for gaming. Im only going there to attempt to win the gaming portion lol. Most of my miniatures arent painted and half arent even primed as well.

We can try games plus some day when you have more time on your hands, but as for now, Im absolutely happy meeting you there. Its shorter for us both. Im just happy to hear youre close and able to play.

Ill message you right before or after I get to the US. 8)

And as Rangefinder said Im not a teenager either so dont worry about that haha.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well, I didn't expect to find Chicago based players on this site so now I wish I registered a long time ago. Rangerfinder, LoBR, It would be great to get some games in with you guys. Lets try to get in touch when you get back in town. Or Rangefinder, if we can both find a spare couple of hours before LoBR comes back, that works too!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

PM'ed LOBR and Siegrend, as to not carry on a public conversation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Siegrend wrote:
Well, I didn't expect to find Chicago based players on this site so now I wish I registered a long time ago. Rangerfinder, LoBR, It would be great to get some games in with you guys. Lets try to get in touch when you get back in town. Or Rangefinder, if we can both find a spare couple of hours before LoBR comes back, that works too!

Yes. I in fact got a tournament with 6 people a while ago based off this site. It was a small 300 point gig, but worth it.

We can work stuff out in the future as well.

And by the way, as to add on more to the topic at hand.....what does the rest of this army look like, that youre planning on putting these guys in. That can further the answers you seek.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Rangefinder wrote:
No advise on the cavalry, sorry.
here is a link to the GBHL you tube channel,
they run SOE vs. Knights of Rivendale.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gz84_Iv5Q4 ... iRTKnAglAj
I watched it just to get some cavalry tips.
I did pick up 3 Sons of Erol last month though.
But welcome to the OR Forum!

Yeah, LOBR and I try to get a game in, but my schedule is tight,
family, work, blah blah blah...
I will be heading to the Adepticon tourney,
still need to figure out my army.
...and get the thing painted *groan*.

I live a mile from Games Plus.
With enough advance notice I can schedule a game, *double-groan*.
And yeah, LOBR and I are "older" as well, hahaha.

Dont compare knights to rivendell to these...

Those knights despite being more expensive they are tactically more flexible to deal with all sort of armies, both shooting, forest advantage, well armoured and killing power.

The mirkwood knights are cheaper but the arrange of stuff and how flexible they can be its greatly shorted.
Not to mention a portion of their skills are base benefit from an heroe that cost 100pts +

They do still find room in your lists as its the only mirkwood cav you can field though... Unless you want galadhrim which can be a nice alternative if you want galadhrim captain to lead em.

Personally bettewn 2 to 4, at max 6 I would take, more than that is risking getting 2 much attencion on them.
They do work well on mirkwood infantry warband as:

- re arrange your battle line, you simply can move faster and jumping bettewn warband formations in the closeby in order to support.
- they are cavalry and fast in which they can support their own warband if need be.
- they are great objective grabbers if need be.
- they can tie up stuff decently enough.

If you take 2 mirkwood warbands with mostly warriors in it, throw 2 or so knights i nthe mix and the force gets balanced..
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:17 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I think the only cavalry that I wouldn't ever use are Hunter Orcs on Fell Wargs. They're simply too expensive for what they do. Basically every other kind of cav is very useful and can find a place in most any army. Mirkwood cav are the same way, but they are most effective with Thranduil around, who is an insanely powerful cav hero on his own, so I would say they are very much worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:44 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:
I think the only cavalry that I wouldn't ever use are Hunter Orcs on Fell Wargs. They're simply too expensive for what they do. Basically every other kind of cav is very useful and can find a place in most any army. Mirkwood cav are the same way, but they are most effective with Thranduil around, who is an insanely powerful cav hero on his own, so I would say they are very much worth it.

I agree that they are Devlan Mud....the HO on wargs. But I think Galadhrim Knights are pretty garabage too.

You need them to be almost 20 points or exactly that modified with wargear for them to be useful.

Way over costed. They have special rules, but most of them take away from what Elves are supposed to do.