All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:29 pm

Post subject: Adepticon 2014: March to Mt. Doom list v.2
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

New tournament list for...
http://www.adepticon.org/wpfiles/2015/2015lotr.pdf
750 points, 20 models only, & no Warband limits.

The King of the Dead
8 Axeman of Lossarnach
4 Warrior of the Dead with Shield; Spear;
4 Blackroot Vale Archer

Aragorn - Strider
Elven cloak; Andúril,
Flame of the West;
Armour; Bow;

Legolas with Elven cloak; Armour

Gimli, son of Glóin with Elven cloak

I am pretty okay with this list.
747 points/20 models

My thoughts are that I got some High Defense, Special Strikes, Might, Shooting, and Special Rules. No magic in this list though. Trying to prepare for anything with this list. I feel it has offense, but I am going to play it defensively. Not sure how many army lists will bring the hot and heavy hitters, or how many will max out model counts. Is my list a "jack of all trades, and master of none"?

This thread started out much different.
And I apologize for the "seeing what sticks" post initially.
I sincerely appreciate your consideration and look forward to comments!

Last edited by Rangefinder on Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: Adepticon 2014: March to Mt. Doom
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A few things.

I like Khamul on horse but on fell beast hes much more powerful. Although I understand if you dont wanna get one.

As for the Betrayer....Id say.....if you dont have any other models, use him as a basic wraith, and upgrade him to max stats. With the same might will and fate, you get a unit thats better at magic, and 10 points cheaper.

The Mouth of Sauron worries me. His defense is alright, but his magic is going to be of no use against most armies. Most armies will not have a problem with him and you will be better served to save the points and add something more beastly.

Spectres are a bit scary being soft on D and some armies will have no issue with their rule because of high courage. If I were to play you though you can target half trolls and it may work. Some all good or elf armies though will render them usless. Id say keep em though if youd like.

Troll Chieftan is beast for sure.

As for the rest......Black Guard are tough and having their strength and Defense is nice.

For sure though, you need shields on those Uruks. Theyre going to go down like sacks of [word deleted] if you leave their defense at 4.

Furthermore, I dont think a banner is a good idea.

The Castellans defense and strength I like, but they can be risky.

Overall Id say mount Khamul on a fell unless you really dont want to, get rid of the Mouth and banner, and throw in a Mordor troll for their cost.

Id honestly probably replace some of the smaller units like the Uruks and the Black Guard with more monsters or heroes.

Khamul on fell beast
Unnamed wraith on armored horses 2/14/2
2 spectre
Troll Chief
Troll
2 castellans with blades

Then you have another 95 points to put black guard or something else in.

Thats my opinion. The extra troll helps a lot and with 14 models, you only have 1 wound.

I just think youd be better suited to beef up with smaller numbers.

Is there anything in that army youre not at all flexible about?

Keep in mind dude thats just opinion feel free to hit me up and we can bounce ideas back and forth.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:02 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have to get some sample lists going.
This was just a themed easy-sleazy off the top list.
I may go for a Fallen Realm/Mordor list.

Got pulled to report for Federal Jury duty this week.
Once i get back to the office I can play around a bit more.

Also mght think of going Army of Dead w/Aragorn, Gimli, & Leggy.
Have not run up the points on that.
Got a ton of Rohan I could try to pull a list from too.
Picked up 3 Sons of Eorl, bunches of Heroes, etc...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Rangefinder wrote:
I have to get some sample lists going.
This was just a themed easy-sleazy off the top list.
I may go for a Fallen Realm/Mordor list.

Got pulled to report for Federal Jury duty this week.
Once i get back to the office I can play around a bit more.

Also mght think of going Army of Dead w/Aragorn, Gimli, & Leggy.
Have not run up the points on that.
Got a ton of Rohan I could try to pull a list from too.
Picked up 3 Sons of Eorl, bunches of Heroes, etc...

Whatever you decide let me know. I have a lot of stuff I don't mind lending you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'd drop the Betrayer: without venom users his special rule becomes useless. If you want a Fighter Nazgul, why not the Knight of Umbar? Not a very good spellcaster, but has one more might, and his special rule makes him the perfect fighting nazgul against heroes.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think hes cool with using Khamul. Hes a combat beast too as long as its on a bird.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
I think hes cool with using Khamul. Hes a combat beast too as long as its on a bird.

I'm not a fan of Khamul, though I think is better than KoU when fighting troops. As hero-killer, I think the Knight far surpasses Khamul. With only 12 Will, not-very-good magic (+1 required on each spelled when compared to the standards, making a 6 necessary for Black Dart) I never found Khamul too reliable.

Still, I'd drop the Betrayer anyway. Without venom users there's no use to his special rule. It should be switched with either a "plain" Nazgul or the Lord of Shadow (who has overall good magic, requiring a 3+ to Sap Will and Transifix).
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

this thread re-started and more concise.

Post subject: Re: Adepticon 2014: March to Mt. Doom list v.2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My first thought is youre putting this list together maxing out units but really leaving yourself vulnerable in that aspect.

Axemen are great but their fight and defense in this tournament probably wont hold up. For example.....my optimized for numbers army has units that beat you in fight value, attacks, and wound you on 3s or 4s depending.

Yes you do have a lot of troops, but replace them with something.

I have no thoughts this quickly but I just read it not 30 seconds ago.

As for the army of the dead.....hit or miss. I like them. The fact they are hard to kill to even heroes is nice, but there are problems. (keep in mind...I think myself right now....I sound pessimistic, but Im just telling you as an opponent what I see) First off, they wound on courage. Thats great if youre playing trolls....terrible if you play Elves, Dwarves, Men hero armies, or even some bad heroes with tough courage.

Ill say one thing right now dude.....cheesy or not........I can paint and lend him to you....if you take the army of the dead, use Alfrid, boost the Kings might, and cut through people. Ill do it if you decide on this list, but I need fair time warning.

Ok. Now Im going to talk ALOT about Aragorn.

First of all..... think about his armor....you may not care about the 5 points, but wait till you hear my overall perspective.

Youre picking Strider. Not a bad choice mind you, especially with Anduril. BUT, think about Aragorn, Isildurs heir.

Heres why. He's A banner for Legolas and Gimli. In addition, they have full movement through wooded terrain if theyre within 6 inches of him.

Imagine having 4 attacks at fight 6 with all of them every turn. Sure, there is fight 7+ out there, but you can use might if you absolutely need it. Otherwise youre tying most elf heroes and beating almost all men heroes.

Anduril is a huge reason to take this profile, but also a huge amount of points. If youre fighting Mordor trolls or wraiths, its phenomenal to wound them so easily. But if youre fighting a force with mostly defense 5-6 you only need 1 more for 75 points.

And here comes the bombshell as to why I originally brought up his heir, besides the mentioned reasons. Your fastest model moves 6 inches......

There are going to be plenty of armies with horse mounted heroes and flying beasts, whether it be eagle or wraith.

With Aragorn I mentioned youd ultimately save on points. You can put Legolas and maybe other models on a horse, and move quickly. Also, aragorn can just heroic move 9 inches every turn anyway.

Again....I stress Alfrid. Park Legolas in range of objectives and feed him extra might to be able to hit things with bowfire and wound.

And Lee....absolutely get rid of the Blackroot Archers. They are way to soft to run with the big boys in this tournament. Thats another handful of points you can add on to something else.

Without doing points, Id say take the 3 Hunters with Strider or Isildurs heir...either....Alfrid, your army of the dead group, and IDK what else but maybe tomorrow or the next day Ill write up another list idea.

The ultimate conclusion I came to was to not try for 20 models that are soft, but go for over 12 with those who win every fight and can live.

Also, mobility plays a nice role.

I have mounted Legolas as well....