All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:45 pm

Post subject: starting a lothlorien/mirkwood army
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:11 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi there, I'm planning on starting a new army. I chose galadhrim/wood elves for this because i really love the models. I would like to know how you guys feel about my list.
I want to make a 500pts list so this is what I came up with:

Warband 1 8/12
Haldir, Defender of Helm's deep
4 Wood Elf Warrior with Elf bow;
4 Galadhrim Warrior with Elf bow;
----
Warband 2 12/12
Rúmil
3 Galadhrim Warrior with Elven blade;
4 Galadhrim Warrior with Shield; Spear;
1 Galadhrim Warrior with Banner;
4 Guard of the Galadhrim Court
----
Warband 3 8/12
Galadhrim Stormcaller
4 Wood Elf Warrior with Wood Elf spear;
3 Wood Elf Warrior with Throwing daggers; Elven blade;
1 Wood Elf Warrior with Elven blade;
----

Units: 31 Points: 499

I am using al the guys from the box sets because I haven't got a lot of money available.

Thank you for commenting and sorry for bad language skills but English is not my native language :oops: .
 Post subject: Re: starting a lothlorien/mirkwood army
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Welcome! I ain't a native as well, so we may destroy the english language together.

as for your army, I'd say It's good. But you have to drop that Haldir and choose the regular one, instead, and give him a bow and armor. In this army he will be much more effective. Rumil is good.
Has good numbers for and elf army in 500 pts, but most of them have very low defence, which can be a problem. I'd replace the Wood Elf with throwing dagger with Bowmen. This way you can keep your distance and thin the enemy ranks from afar.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:03 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you for the tips. I wil swap the Haldirs, but i won't take more archers because that would make it $20 more expensive :p but it is something that i will add later on.

does any one may have some tactics tips for this army?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

you could use proxy or modify them. The only important thing is that your opponent MUST be able to catch the difference between models with no difficulty whatsoever.

As for tactics, this army has a very, very low defence. Most of them would die on a 4+ of the average soldier. It's not an army to fight your opponent head on. Keep the distance, thin the enemy with bowfire (that's why I tought of switching TW with bows) and use a skirmish/guerrilla tactics. Use the "woodland creature" special rule to your advantage, forcing your opponent to look for you. And when no enemy hero with lot of will is near, use nature wrath and charge. Rumil, with his special rule and a banner behind, will win lots of fights, he is the natural leader.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Completely agree with Dikey, you need to make the most of your archery and also to utilise nature's wrath from your storm caller.
Essentially use it to knock enemies down and then use that turn to run away to get more shooting or to charge models on the floor where you can get double strikes when wounding them.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:43 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

That sounds good to me and I totally agree. So i will proxy till I got enough for another box. Thanks for the tips. More are always welcome :)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Lol the best tip is get the army onto the board and start playing, its the best way to learn and to get better
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Take notes on how your army performs while playing, and address the mistakes you make in later games.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:51 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Don't worry about the language, if there is anything I learnt in the UK it is that the worst at English is the English native speakers.

By my limited guess I'd imagine you'll need to learn to use the woods/terrain to your advantage. It is a very stand-off kind of army, needing to keep your forces moving and shooting, avoiding close combat for the most part.

When I started playing I found it hard to only have infantry, but with enough bows, it might have an easier time than mine. I am now including cavalary, rather than bows, but to each their own.

As some mention it's just to jump into some games and see if it feels right to play for you. I'm reforming mine currently and having fun experimenting with it as I do. When you play, it usually becomes very apparent what works and what just doesn't stand a chance while looking good on paper.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the tips I have just got the army assembled and I will play my first game with it (against mordor) on friday. Really looking forward to field this guys because they look awesome (especially the guards of the galadhrim court ;) ) and I'm going to try to use the forest and other terrain in my advantage. Again sprry for the bad language but I'm dutch.