All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:54 pm

Post subject: Advice needed on Thranduils hall 500 Points :)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I've been trying to come up a list for Mirkwood that maximises the model count as much as possible but still be very effective! I've decided on the following list and need some opinions on it:

Warband 1
Thranduil, King of Mirkwood (Armour)
Mirkwood Armoured Elves x 12 (6 Elven Blades & Shields, 6 Elven Glaives)

Warband 2
Tauriel
Mirkwood Armoured Elves x 6 (Elf Bows)

Warband 3
Mirkwood Ranger Captain
Mirkwood Rangers x 5

26 Models total, I've included the Mirkwood Ranger Captain instead of Legolas so I can have 3 warbands. Any help would be appreciated :)

Post subject: Re: Advice needed on Thranduils hall 500 Points :)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Honestly I think you have a solid Mirkwood list here. It is difficult to improve upon really. You have a solid amount of troops for Elves, you didnt over-saturate your list with elites, you have strong Heroes and some reliable Archery.

I honestly wouldnt know what to do to improve this list
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:17 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It's a very good list. Good might and good numbers. You may swith Tauriel with legolas if you want more bowfire, but I think this list is good as it is. The only weakness I could possibile think of are the same weakness of every elven army.

It's very good.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:11 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Two things.

1- Am I missing something, or is the bow limit incorrect? I thought the mirkwood rangers count seperately for bow limit giving you too many. Am I wrong guys?

2-You have a great list as they stated. Its refreshing to see this list bcause there are so many terrible elf lists with no chance posted with like an entire warband of palace guard.

But.....Idk.....I think its almost worth dropping another unit and a couple pieces of wargear to take legolas. 3 shots per round....auto hit(never know when youll need it) extra might, etc. If youre in a scenario like lords of battle or something where your leader gets bonus points for kills or staying alibe legolas is the way to go....

If you stick with this list though, its a good list. Nice job.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:43 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Two things.

1- Am I missing something, or is the bow limit incorrect? I thought the mirkwood rangers count seperately for bow limit giving you too many. Am I wrong guys?

2-You have a great list as they stated. Its refreshing to see this list bcause there are so many terrible elf lists with no chance posted with like an entire warband of palace guard.

But.....Idk.....I think its almost worth dropping another unit and a couple pieces of wargear to take legolas. 3 shots per round....auto hit(never know when youll need it) extra might, etc. If youre in a scenario like lords of battle or something where your leader gets bonus points for kills or staying alibe legolas is the way to go....

If you stick with this list though, its a good list. Nice job.

The bow limit ia correct 1/3 of 18 mirkwood armoured elves (which is 6)
Palace guard can find their place in the army just not as a full entire warband (as their at same cost as uruk berserkers and far less usefull in game terms overall...

What could be his dilehma would be the Legolas choice like you said, while there are characters to be taken availiable they seem to be a far better choice over captains, still I understand his need on trying to value the models he have, and try to make the captain more worthy (as fluffy perhaps, as legolas cant be everywhere)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Did you see the Last two Hobbit movies? Legolas can be everywhere! And Kill everything! Lol im joking.

Yeah I understand the conundrum. Just a suggestion. If its a to the death i take the ranger captain, but if its lords of battle i go for legolas. Thats the way i see it.

As for bow limits.....it was early and now i see what i misread. Thanks. For some reason i was thinking something else. Ugh. Lol.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the feedback everyone :) I've got a few games coming up to try this list out, I'll post the results ! The Mirkwood Armoured Elves have really opened up this army, being able to take relatively cheap troops is a huge boon! The one change I might consider is putting Tauriel with the Rangers and replacing the Ranger Captain with a Mirkwood Armoured Captain instead for added punch in combat (plus the model is fantastic)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I might drop the Mirkwood captain for Legolas. You'd have to drop a couple rangers but Legolas is so good I have a hard time not suggesting that at least. I would drop the elven blades of the elves with shields, one cause I think the elven blade is almost always a waste but two you've still got a handful with the glaives. This is very similar to my Mirkwood 500 list!

Thranduil w/ bow, w/elven cloak
Mirkwood elves w/ bow 4
Mirkwood elves w/ shield 4
Mirkwood elves w/ glaive 2 +1 shield
Mirkwood rangers 2

Legolas
Mirkwood elves w/ bow 4
Mirkwood elves w/ shield 4
Mirkwood elves w/ glaive 2
Mirkwood ranger 1

Tauriel

500, 26 models, 9 might, 14 bows, break point 13 models

When these guys first came out and I was trying to come up with a list I liked this is sorta of where I ended up. I haven't played it a ton but I think its pretty solid.

P