All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:30 pm

Post subject: 750 pt Tournament Army
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:46 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi One Ring users, this is my first time on this site after being looking as a guest for a while.

I made a 750 pt army list for a tournament next month and only need to buy 3 models from this list to make it complete.

WARBAND ONE:
Thorin Oakenshield with The Oakenshield (105 pts)
10 Grimhammers (131 pts)

WARBAND TWO:
Captain of Erebor with shield (65 pts)
12 Warriors of Erebor with 6 spear, 6 shield (108 pts)

WARBAND THREE:
Beregond (25 pts)
2 Avenger Bolt Throwers with swift reload and extra crew member (236 pts)

WARBAND FOUR:
Galadriel (130 pts)

TOTAL: 750 pts

Do you guys think this is competitive across most of the 6 games scenarios, I was worried about reconnoitre but thought of setting up defensivly with the bolt throwers and dwarfs ranks to guard my board edge and then leg it to other end when they are close to breaking and have'nt got many models across (hopefully)

Anyway, I need to get Thorin and two bolt throwers for this army, and my main tactic will be inviting pressure by forming tight ranks to protect bolt throwers. The bolt throwers with swift reload fire 4D6 shots between them each turn, and im not that worried about scatter chart of 2-5 as with S7 I'm gonna be more focused on infantry than specific hero killing, try lower numbers for my dwarfs to have a bigger advantage.

Galadriel is there to stay in the middle of the whole army in a unit formation, or with one half of army and cast blinding light to make bolt thrower crew more defended as well as possibly immobilise oncoming enemy heroes to slow advances and buy bolt thrower more shooting turns.

Sorry about this huge post, if you made it to the end :yay: , what do you think of this armies competitiveness?
 Post subject: Re: 750 pt Tournament Army
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:45 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Anyway, I need to get Thorin and two bolt throwers for this army, and my main tactic will be inviting pressure by forming tight ranks to protect bolt throwers. The bolt throwers with swift reload fire 4D6 shots between them each turn, and im not that worried about scatter chart of 2-5 as with S7 I'm gonna be more focused on infantry than specific hero killing, try lower numbers for my dwarfs to have a bigger advantage.

Problem is, in most scenario the two forces will be very close to each other from the very beginning. The scatter rule will prevent you shooting very soon, maybe even from second/third turn.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:22 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I was thinking of getting the bolt throwers deployed on defendable raised terrain so that they can shoot over a line of dwarfs below them, with dwarfs high defense, should be able to keep solid for a while?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dikey wrote:
Quote:
The scatter rule will prevent you shooting very soon, maybe even from second/third turn.

How do you mean? You only hit friendlies on a role of a one for the scatter chart. Scatter range is only 3" as well.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You arr nor allowrd to shoot at targets within 3" of a friendly model.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:12 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Swift Reload doesn't give you 2D6 shots per bolt thrower. It gives you 2D6 and pick the highest shots. So in reality, you only fire 2D6 shots per turn from both avengers.
Also, if there is a friendly model with 3" of your inital target, you cannot shoot it as there is a chance you scatter onto it.
Siege engines are generally considered uncompetitive for this reason, plus once deployed it is hard to reposition them. Also once the lines clash they are useless.

It would be better to sink those 180pts into more dwarves, more elves anything really.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

jericho2597 wrote:
I was thinking of getting the bolt throwers deployed on defendable raised terrain so that they can shoot over a line of dwarfs below them, with dwarfs high defense, should be able to keep solid for a while?

Discard the Bolt throwers:
first, they don't shoot 4d6 (the reload allows you to roll 2d6 and just pick the highest).
then, once the enemy gets close, they became useless. Good models cannot shoot if there's even the slightest chance of hitting one of their own. And that happens very early in the game.

If you want to follow the high ground tactic, I think you should get archers, instead. And, even if I hate them, I think elves are the best option. It's an allied warband, so any other ally will only give you 4 bows tops (5 including the hero). Elves give you 2 more bows or the chance for a full warband of bowmen (Rivendell Knights, Mirkwood Rangers)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:39 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I recommend you to take Galadriel Lady of light. She automatically has blinding light and she doesn't loose it when she doesn't have any W. Banishment is also very good because you will play against a lot of spirits at 750. She can also make Thorin better.