All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:34 pm

Post subject: New Dwarf Army 500pts
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I am starting a new army for the first time in a long time and I am set on starting a dwarf list.

This is my first look at a 500pts list:
Warband 1:
-Balin, Son of Fundin
-9 Dwarf Warriors w/ Shield

Warband 2:
-Gimli, Son of Gloin
-6 Dwarf Warriors w/ Dwarf Bow

Warband 3:
-Thror
-6 Warriors of Erebor w/ Spear & Shield

I think this list is pretty balanced with heavy hitting heroes, solid defensive line as I would position all the dwarves close together to enable the spear support. Also, with the high defence of normal dwarf warriors I will not be afraid to leave my bowmen open to a bit of fire. However, I do know that the army is slightly low of numbers but I feel the hitting power can act that.

What do other people think of my force?
Thanks for your input.
 Post subject: Re: New Dwarf Army 500pts
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You have too many bows. The Hobbit dwarfs and the lotr dwarfs are in different lists and you are only allowed to take 1/3 bows of each model count.
Besides I wouldn't play Thror. First he doesn't fit with Gimli and second he isn't that strong.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Frêrin wrote:
You have too many bows. The Hobbit dwarfs and the lotr dwarfs are in different lists and you are only allowed to take 1/3 bows of each model count.
Besides I wouldn't play Thror. First he doesn't fit with Gimli and second he isn't that strong.

Oh yeah true, thanks for pointing the bows out. Completely forgot about that.

What would you suggest instead of Thror?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

On the contrary, Thror is very strong. He is, however, overpointed quite a bit and there are better options *cough Thorin cough* if you are that way inclined. I love the Thror model though ;)
It could do with a few more numbers though, maybe drop Gimli down to a captain and add more warriors to either warband.
As a fellow dwarf player, I'd highly recommend some Khazad Guard in there somewhere to add the higher strength. Makes those higher defence models just that little bit easier to crack.

Hope this helps.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:04 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

SouthernDunedain wrote:
On the contrary, Thror is very strong. He is, however, overpointed quite a bit and there are better options *cough Thorin cough* if you are that way inclined. I love the Thror model though ;)
It could do with a few more numbers though, maybe drop Gimli down to a captain and add more warriors to either warband.
As a fellow dwarf player, I'd highly recommend some Khazad Guard in there somewhere to add the higher strength. Makes those higher defence models just that little bit easier to crack.

Hope this helps.

Yeh I looked a the profiles and I do like Thorin or I was thinking Young Dwalin. Khazad Guard do seem helpful with the S4. I was thinking possibly Floi instead of Gimli. Just exploring options at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:31 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

as a fellow dwarf player (man, there are a lot of us around!) I'd suggest to switch Thror with Thorin with Oakenshield. Same defence, same fight. Then you have 35 more points to spend in Khazad Guards (these guys are awesome).

Choosing between Floi and Gimli is hard, but it really depends on the strategy you want to follow. Gimli comes with better fighting options, is a fighting hero. While Floi will have way more problems in dealing with anything bigger than a foot soldier.

P.s: Does Balin come with Durin's Axe?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:18 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dikey wrote:
as a fellow dwarf player (man, there are a lot of us around!) I'd suggest to switch Thror with Thorin with Oakenshield. Same defence, same fight. Then you have 35 more points to spend in Khazad Guards (these guys are awesome).

Choosing between Floi and Gimli is hard, but it really depends on the strategy you want to follow. Gimli comes with better fighting options, is a fighting hero. While Floi will have way more problems in dealing with anything bigger than a foot soldier.

I have not given Balin Durin's Axe as of yet and I see why Thorin is a good option. I was thinking of Floi to lead the archers so that he could pick off special rules when needed, so he wouldnt be needed in combat so much

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:29 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think between Balin, Gimli and Thror, you have spent too much points on heroes for a 500 pt list, as these guys are so expensive. Someone pointed this out I think but you have gone over the bow limit for the 'Durin's Folk' contingent as the 'Army of Thror' contingent is seperate and doesnt count towards the same bow limit.

My suggestion is Thror -> Thorin w/ The Oakenshield as that is about 30 pts cheaper and just as good, Thrors special rule with fate is alright, but 1/3 of the time it is useless and at 500 pts, I wouldnt expect Thror to be gone before you or opponent are broken and game is over.

Floi should only really be taken for his special rule which can be awesome against some opponents to cripple their advantages, but others won't really be affected by it, and at 500 pts, you may be facing a small force with almost no special rules to be attacked.

I also think that dwarf rangers, at 10 pts arent as good as wood elves with bows, due to their lower movement.

Rumil (70 pts)
-12 Galadhrim (4 bows, 3 Shield & spear) (116 pts)

Thorin w/ The Oakenshield (105 pts)
- 6 Warriors of Erebor w/ Spear and Shield (60 pts)

Balin Son of Fundin w/ Durin's axe (85 pts)
- 6 Khazad Guard (66 pts)

TOTAL: 500 pts

I reckon this list is pretty balanced and you get a few more troops but similar amount of Hero power
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:49 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

CeltDewz wrote:
Dikey wrote:

I have not given Balin Durin's Axe as of yet and I see why Thorin is a good option. I was thinking of Floi to lead the archers so that he could pick off special rules when needed, so he wouldnt be needed in combat so much

You should give Balin Durin's Axe. It makes him much more formidable. Expecially if you field Floi in Gimli's place; in that way, you will be able to partially compensate the loss of Gimli's Fighting skill.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:37 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I would rather not use elves as I want a pure Dwarf list. I could give Balin Durin's Axe and then add a few more warriors or some Khazad Guard.

So a rethought list:
Warband 1:
-Balin, Son of Fundin w/ Durin's Axe
-2 Dwarf Warriors w/ Shield
-3 Dwarf Warriors w/ Bow
-4 Khazad Guard

Warband 2:
-Floi Stonehand
-2 Dwarf Warriors w/ Shield
-3 Dwarf Warriors w/ Bow
-4 Khazad Guard

Warband 3: