All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:01 pm

Post subject: Competitve Harad Army 750
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello all, so I've been recently wracking my brain trying to come up with a 750 Harad army I Dig for competitve play, I have pretty much all models available to me ( - mumakil, and No corsair shannegains please, I dislike everything about them)

I also have a few questions if you take say multiple serpent sting warbands, can you take a mahud warband and not mess with the 50% rule

Does the Bane of Kings effect brutal power attacks from a fell beast such as fling?

Are Hasharin ( and to the same extent Dalamyr) worth running? I like them Dalamyr alot but the one might seems crippling

So as far as army ideas I was thinking of something like this as a start

The Betrayer on fell
- 12 x Watchers of karna with bow

Harad Chief on horse
- 6 x Serpent Riders
- 6 x harad raiders with bow/ spear

Harad Chief
- 8 x Abrakhan Guard
- 4 haradrim with Spears

With this set up still have about 112 pts left, but I'm not sure it feels exactly right

Anyhow if people have some deep harad insight I'd be greatly appreciative
 Post subject: Re: Competitve Harad Army 750
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:18 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Take 1/2 watcher of Karna with bows and 1/2 warriors with spears or Abrakhan guard, if you want a really strong army. Watchers are at least one point too cheap and really strong! To lead them I would take only chieftains and taskmasters (at least one is really worth it!) If you want a great model count, or the Knight of Umbar to get some magic and bpa.

KoU on fellbeast
Taskmaster
2 x chieftain
4× 6 Watcher + 6 warriors with spears

They will do the job! 24 bows a good model count, the KoU and half of your models have F4 and 2 attacks.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Does the Bane of Kings effect brutal power attacks from a fell beast such as fling?

When the fell beast hurls a model, it does not benefit from Bane of Kings. Is stated in the Mordor Errata.
As for other brutal attack, I'm not sure but I think it still doesn't: To use the Morgul Blade the Witch Kings has to use both his Streght and his Attack value, so it may be the same for bane of kings.

Quote:
Are Hasharin ( and to the same extent Dalamyr) worth running? I like them Dalamyr alot but the one might seems crippling

The Single might point is crippling, expecially with their low defence. They, however, have a lot of fate and cannot be trapped, which is a very good thing. as for dalamyr, I used him once with the old rules and my opponent was terrified: 3 attacks and re-rolls when failing? amazing. But it wasn't easy to use.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Guess I will need to look at the faqs and see if it references bane of Kings affecting rend

And I appreciate the list above Frerin, but that isn't exactly what I was shooting for, it's very one sided tactically, I like all the variety that harad has, that is abit too much on spam side which brings the game alittle too much like 40k for me ( which is not why I play lotr)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:47 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Arthas367 wrote:
Guess I will need to look at the faqs and see if it references bane of Kings affecting rend

And I appreciate the list above Frerin, but that isn't exactly what I was shooting for, it's very one sided tactically, I like all the variety that harad has, that is abit too much on spam side which brings the game alittle too much like 40k for me ( which is not why I play lotr)

pretty much every Harad army revolves around shooting from afar. Considering that almost every unit has D4, the strategy that pretty much every Harad player follows is thinning the enemy lines from afar as possible before getting into close quarters.
But I know that what appears to be the best strategy is not always the one we like the most and without fun there's no reason to play in the first plance.
What kind of player are you? What strategy would you like to play?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I respect harads shooting entirely and defintely want a portion of it, which why I'm not opposed to taking advantage of the 50%, but the army has far more going for it than just shooting, imo has some of the best combat ( even if they are on the soft side)

Way back in the day my first lotr was mainly based off faramirs rangers, though I never abused the running back 3 inch shoot tactic, rather took out key targets and used f 4 backed by MT spears to carry the day.

The newer ruleset seem to favor my approach even more so now, I'm a fan of mixed arms, I like my armies able to have an answer for most and capitalize on those that don't .

So basically all of harad models are available to me. In pretty much full warband strength or more per unit
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:02 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

about that:

WARBAND 1 (Heavy hitters with banner)
Golden King
Mahud with spear x6
Abrakan Guard x6

WARBAND 2 (multiple attacks and bow)
Captain
6 Watchers
6 Harad with Spear

WARBAND 3
Same as Warband 2

WARBAND 4 (Magic, Monster and Cavalry)
The Betrayer or the KoU on fell beast
5 serpents riders.

EDIT: I realized that list is only 746 points. You have four more points to spend to give 4 of your harad spearmen a bow. This way you'll have 45 models and 16 bows.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Absolutely love the look of that list tbh, looks like great fun with a good deal options
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Arthas367 wrote:
And I appreciate the list above Frerin, but that isn't exactly what I was shooting for, it's very one sided tactically, I like all the variety that harad has

One sided tactically?! You have 24 bows on 3+ and really good close combat skills, some magic and bpa.

I don't like to mix up all the Harad troops, because in my opinion it doesn't make sense themewise. Watchers are the guardians of an ancient ruin and something like an order. Abrakhan Guards are are located at one city and the Mahud are mercenary soldiers. In my opinion it would be very unlikely that those people would fought together.
I'd choose a theme (Abrakhan, Karna, Serpent Horde) and then built the army around it.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

How about something like this:

Warband 1 12/12
The Knight of Umbar with Fell Beast;
6 Haradrim Warrior with Bow; Spear;
6 Abrakhân Merchant Guard
----
Warband 2 12/12
Haradrim King with Horse; Spear;
6 Haradrim Warrior with Bow; Spear;
6 Abrakhân Merchant Guard
----
Warband 3 12/12
Haradrim Chieftain with Horse; Bow; Spear;
1 Haradrim Warrior with Spear;
5 Haradrim Warrior with Bow; Spear;
6 Castellan of Umbar
----
Warband 4 11/12
Haradrim Chieftain with Spear;
6 Haradrim Warrior with Spear;
5 Castellan of Umbar

you need some fight 5 castellans to take on those pesky elves. Mainly you want to give yourself the highest chance to win fights, because if you win fights you never take damage and can kill. I would probably find a way to get a banner in there somewhere, get rid of the horses for those heroes and their spears.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You know I never really thought about F5 Castelleans but they actually seem really solid for 11 pts

will I be able to still include warbands that make use of serpents sting having them in the army at all? or would you count that warband as allied or some such ?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:41 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Arthas367 wrote:
will I be able to still include warbands that make use of serpents sting having them in the army at all?
No.