All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:06 pm

Post subject: 600 points Isengard
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Here is my current line-up for a 600 point match against Lothlorien and Mirkwood Elves, which will include Thranduil, Rumil and possibly a Galadhrim Stormcaller.

Warband 1
Lurtz (without bow to reach Defence 6)
10 Uruk-hai Warrior with Shield

Warband 2
Vraskû
4 Uruk-hai Scout with Shield
4 Uruk-hai Scout
1 Feral Uruk-hai

Warband 3
Uruk-hai Shaman
6 Uruk-hai Warrior with Shield
6 Uruk-hai Warrior with Pike

Warband 4
Ringwraith with Horse, 1 Extra Might
10 Orc Warrior with Spear

The idea being to have my Orcs support the first Uruk-hai warband, and that the Ringwraith will use his casting to counter the Stormcaller and/or Thranduil.

Does this list look viable, or could it be improved? Any help? :)

Post subject: Re: 600 points Isengard
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

looks good but I would recommended trying to get some crossbow men in
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks, Alatar

I did make a Crossbow heavy list, but as we will be playing on a small map (120 x 60 cm), I think melee focus would be better suited.

I was therefore also considering swapping out Vrasku with Mauhur, because I will not be using his shooting, but I will then loose 1 Might to gain 1 extra Attack..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:30 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That is a very small board...you want at least 4x4ft if you can get it.

Firstly, Lurtz cannot choose to forgo his bow to gain a defence (unless this is a house rule you guys have, in which case cool!).

Mauhur is a good shout, he is a combat beast. 3A is nothing to be sniffed at. In this instance though, you have a shocking might store so I would either stick with Vrasku or change him for Ugluk. He isn't as bad as people think.

I don't think the wraith needs a horse in this list, drop that and spend the points on extra will. That'll be far more useful than a horse, plus a foot wraith is easier to hide.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SouthernDunedain wrote:
That is a very small board...you want at least 4x4ft if you can get it.

Indeed it is... I got a Real of Battle Gameboard on the way though, so in the future, this will be corrected :-D

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Firstly, Lurtz cannot choose to forgo his bow to gain a defence (unless this is a house rule you guys have, in which case cool!).

Yes, this is agreed beforehand, should have pointed that out!

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Mauhur is a good shout, he is a combat beast. 3A is nothing to be sniffed at. In this instance though, you have a shocking might store so I would either stick with Vrasku or change him for Ugluk. He isn't as bad as people think.

I do have Ugluk, but alas he is not completely painted yet, thanks for the input though!

SouthernDunedain wrote:
I don't think the wraith needs a horse in this list, drop that and spend the points on extra will. That'll be far more useful than a horse, plus a foot wraith is easier to hide.

Cheers, I shall look into this 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

i agree, drop the horse. the extra points can do into more will or units. no point in having a SINGLE piece on horseback. he would either get picked off quickly cause he has to slow down to keep up with your foot troops, or he would get ahead and be left alone. get some more muscle in there with more uruks for the points you spend cause their higher strength will give you an edge against the lower elf defense
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I had to use my mounted Ringwraith, as the foot model never arrived in the mail (until today).

I did however win my match and depleted the enemy force to below 25 % without breaking, so I am very happy about that.

Saruman and the Ringwraith proved to be too much without any direct caster-counter, and I managed to effectively neutralize his limited magic potential.
After that, I just had to wither down his heroes Willpower-pool, and just transfix his heroes as I wanted.

It might have been a waste with the mounted Ringwraith, but his mobility did prove useful at the start, as he was able to dash foreward, cast magic, and retreat safely back again, behind my Uruk lines.

My Spear and Pike support basically won me the day, as I almost always won the combat unless he rolled a 6 with his warriors and possible support..