All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:29 pm

Post subject: 300pt Mordor List for fighting Elves
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

As title, after a long hiatus I'm returning to Lotr since my mate has got into it, and I've put together a 300pt Mordor list to fight his elves on Monday. I should say I've been out of the game for a long time so don't have the new hobbit rulebook (though I have the old LOTR SBG rules), however my mate has the new rules, and he doesn't normally play at points this low.

That said, let's get on with it!

Warband 1: Orc Captain + 12 orc warriors (just hand weapons): 100

Warband 2: Troll Chief + 12 orcs (as above): 200

I've tried to max out the numbers but also get some real punch in the heroes (ie. the troll, lol). I've no idea what my mate will bring, either troop heavy or a hero list (but I seem to recall we made a house rule for no named heroes <600 or so, so big nasty heroes might not feature).

Anyway, what do you guys think? I've also got a bunch of harad guys (only infantry) some black numenoreans, and a bunch of ringwraiths/uruks.

Cheers!
 Post subject: Re: 300pt Mordor List for fighting Elves
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Its a nice list, and with the troll chieftain you get to try out the new moster rules! (if you play with those)

There is one thing I would def. change and that is to change al the normal mordor orc's to morannon orcs ( if you dont have morannon orcs, proxy them with the mordor orcs )
Against elves it will pay off, all your orcs are str 4, and can have def. 6. So you will always wound on a 5 or lower and he will need a six against all your shield carrying orcs. (just give them all a shield)
While your orcs are trying to kill you can use the chieftain to knock down the leven lines by throwing elves trhough them.

With your orcs being much stronger and already having a chieftain, you could consider, swapping the captain for a shaman.

prov. 27:17
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

J.R. wrote:
Its a nice list, and with the troll chieftain you get to try out the new moster rules! (if you play with those)

There is one thing I would def. change and that is to change al the normal mordor orc's to morannon orcs ( if you dont have morannon orcs, proxy them with the mordor orcs )
Against elves it will pay off, all your orcs are str 4, and can have def. 6. So you will always wound on a 5 or lower and he will need a six against all your shield carrying orcs. (just give them all a shield)
While your orcs are trying to kill you can use the chieftain to knock down the leven lines by throwing elves trhough them.

With your orcs being much stronger and already having a chieftain, you could consider, swapping the captain for a shaman.

Thanks for your suggestions 8)

I'm not sure on Morannons purely because of the points tbh - I used to play against an army of gondor (albeit without either of us using warband rules) and experience taught me repeatedly that numbers trumped strength, granted though, they would be more difficult to kill. I'll give 'em a try if using a basic swarm doesn't work though.

See I was originally thinking of running a shaman for fury, however I was wondering how good it is, I've got the old rules for it from the LOTR sbg (don't fail courage and normal troops don't die on a 6 until the shaman loses a fight), but was curious how good it was in practice, you know?

Cheers!
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:14 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Definitely swap at least half of the orcs for Morannons with shields, and don't worry about the numbers - Morannons are two times harder to kill than the normal ones. I would say for this point level you want to have half of an army composed of them and the other half of normal orcs with spears.

Fury is extremely good, even better with the new rules, as a Shaman basically needs to be killed in order to get rid of the fury. Also, you can channel it, and this way your orcs will be saved not only on a 6, but on a 5+. This is indeed very annoying to play against!
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for your suggestions!

One other thing as a matter of interest, I saw on another thread here about really small games that all hero armies can be quite good because nothing can deal with them. I was just wondering how viable you think an all Nazgul list at 300pts could be: say, 1 guy on a fellbeast, 2 on horseback or something.

Cheers.

EDIT: Oh, another question actually, this time about Shades.

I just wanted to know if their rules/pts values/stats had changed at all from the ruin of arnor sourcebook (which I have) to the Moria & Angmar sourcebook (which I see no point in buying if they are the same).

Thanks!
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:55 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

While it is true that at this point level bigger heroes are often hard to answer, I'd say a Nazgul-only force is only viable on fell beasts, and at 300 points it will be though to field even two decent ones. And they're too fragile fighters to just mount them on horses and hope they can beat an entire opponents' army.

As for the Shade, I believe that the only change is that it now has Spectral Blades special rule (striking on courage).
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for your help!

One final question, the rules for Haradrim, Easterlings and so forth, am I correct in saying the current ruleset for them is in the Fallen Realms sourcebook? The one with the picture of the running Uruk-Hai on the front? I've got a scanned pdf which my mate gave me from his hardcopy, but seeing as it no longer seems to be on the UK GW site I wanted to check it was the correct one.

Cheers!
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yes, you will find the rules and profiles in the Fallen Realms sourcebook.