All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:35 pm

Post subject: 800 POINTS MORDOR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:22 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This is the first list I have put together, so any suggestions would be more than welcome! Was thinking just 8 might will be an issue and the relatively low numbers :?

WARBAND 1
Dark Marshall on Armoured Horse (Leader)
4 Morgul Knights

WARBAND 2
Captain of the Black Guard
5 Black Guard
5 morannon (with spear & shield)

WARBAND 3
Mordor Troll Chieftain
6 Morannon (with shield)
6 Morannon (4 with spear & shield + 2 with spear + Banner)

WARBAND 4
Mounted Ringwraith (2/7/1)
5 Mordor Uruk-hai (with shield)
5 Mordor Orcs (with spear)

Might: 8
Casters: 2
Models: 40
Break point: 20

Post subject: Re: 800 POINTS MORDOR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I would say this list is not bad. Troops are fairly logical, morannon's with spears and shield fit with the black guard much better than pesky normal orc spears!

But suggestions... The Dark Marshal is a good choice, but to get advantage of it you could drop extra banner away. Another good ringwraith is Dwimmerlake, which eliminates enemy heros very effectively, aragorn with only 1/2 chance to get free might isn't a big deal, or wizard 1/2 chance spell.

Morgul knights are good cavalry, but 4 is very little. I would drop horses of both nazgul, and take something else instead knights. I could also drop another nazgul. Resolt would be something like this:

*Dwimmerlake
-12 morannon orc

*Black Guard Captain
-6 black guard
-6 morannon with spear, banner

*Troll Chieftain
-12 orc warrior

*Orc Taskmaster
-7 orc warrior
-5 warg rider, 2 shield

That would make 797p, 52 units, 6 might. Low might compensates by taskmaster + dwimmer abilities, fe. free heroic combat on troll can change game.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Adding the Dwimmerlaik is a fantastic suggestion: with him in your force it doesn't matter nearly as much if you're low on might because your opponent can't make use of their own. He's also got more will, I believe, so more magic as well (correct me if I'm wrong, don't have the book to hand at the minute). Black Guard captains are always solid, as are mordor troll chieftains, taskmaster should stay between them; have the captain call heroic moves, marches etc. so you don't run the risk of draining your troll chieftain, as he's the heaviest combat hitter. I agree with not taking the morgul knights with either of the wraiths, neither the marshal or dwimmy are combat-orientated. However, I think that having just a few could work well: I find that my minas tirith knights always work best in pairs or on their own, hitting vulnerable models on the flanks of battlelines in conjunction with a F4 support: morgul knights would probably be better at this because they're F4, so no support needed, and have Terror to make counter-charges more difficult.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The taskmaster is a great suggestion, with 50% chance of free heroics for the Black Guard C. You're quite right in saying the Dwimmerlaik has higher Will and is the best anti-might weapon possible really! However he is quite fragile with the no might and resting most of ones strategy on his 'Sap Fortitude' doesn't seem all that fun to me :( What about Gothmog? his Master of Battles is great for countering heroic actions, plus he is a big combat hero when mounted! (and though I love the Troll Chieftain, Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul is a gorgeous model! :-D ) Swapping him for the Troll Chieftain perhaps? I would also consider either adding more Morgul Knights to better benefit from the Dark Marshall's banner, or leaving in a pair to attack the flanks. Alternatively the KoU on fell beast as a better combat hero. Thoughts? :? haha