All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:25 pm

Post subject: mirkwood using the lotr and the hobbit
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:09 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

i was just looking at the mirkwood cav (and im viewing them a much better choice to use then the galadhrim knights) but im question is can u use both the wood elfs and those cav in the same army with out being allied?

also were can i buy / see the rules for the profiles for the mirkwook rangers (hobbit) and palace guards?
 Post subject: Re: mirkwood using the lotr and the hobbit
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:20 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

They are in two different armylists (Lothlórien and Mirkwood; Thranduil's Hall), so cannot be used in the same warband, but can be in the same army via an alliance.

Palace Guard and Rangers are in the Desolation of Smaug book.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:25 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

and were can i get or see the desolation of smaug book? do i have to hunt one down or is there a pdf of it?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Printed copies are still available from Games Workshop.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:57 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

i have looked and i dont see any
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

you might try looking at a different country or something cause I just bought one from the usa store. The palace guard are really meh though they're as more then galadrim court guards and dont have pikes but they have more armor. The rangers are reasonable though, also very expensive though.
Old elves and then a warband of thranduils halls led by Tauriel is pretty good though.

P
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Honestly man if you're going for a fluffly list I understand your choice but Palace Guards are ridiculously costed and Mirkwood Rangers are not worth their points either.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:04 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dont compared the mirkwood knights to the Galadhrim knights, the G knights are substancially better still in some ways...

Their horse iss slightly faster
armoured horse
They got better defence with shield
They can carry bow and stil benefit from the shield defence buff

soo for +2pts they gain:
12" horse movement
Armoured horse

losing:
elven blade
the knights special ability

It seems pretty decent as the mirk knights only get the benefit when you pay for a 100+pts model.

The only actually advantage of the mirkwood list would be prob the variation of the galadhrim warriors (the mirkwood armoured elves) which basically gets the same all round.
The Strong point of mirkwood relie on the heroes, they have heavy hitting heroes despite being a bit squishy.... They are also considerably cheap for what they do, so seems just fine.
Mirkwood Rangers offer some flexibility on bows as you can fill up 1 side of your force with bows and get the % limited while adding mirk rangers to increase the bow usage.
They are also decent fighters, but the special rule its really up for a gamble most players dont like to pay for.
Palace guard its pitty its overpriced, still can be somesort decent nearby thranduil with shields as they form a rather decent D6 units as the Lorien/mirk dont have on those D values that often.
The Rule also comes handy with a palace guard captain, letting the captain itself while nearby thranduil to be an exceptional fighter as its able to fight big heroes like Glorfindel and Azog (to name a few) in relatively equal terms... The rule dont say exactly which thranduil, so you can use the cheap Lotr free peoples variation if you want to :P

Although all this above seems very attractive I would keep to what mirk might be best at it... elven troop spam.. get as many wood elves you can, get strong heroes like thranduil, legolas, tauriel.. get some hard hitting units like Galadhrim guards, galadhrim knights, some mirk rangers and thats basically it....

The elven core is not to be underestimated, they can get nasty with suficcient number and have those cheap wood elves with spear allowing to shielding rule in fights canturn out very handy to win fights in your favour.
Also having alot elves you will be able to hold lines in expense of bodies while you focus your powerfull heroes on your oponent´s weak spots and use the elves as "bodyguard to guide em to safety"
Also the wood elves basic core offers a wide variety of weapons, from blades, spears, bows, cloaks and even throwing weapons(great variety of roles)
if you want this to be backed up with heavier troops, be my guest to add the mirkwood armoured elves, galadhrim which normally prove enough for that role.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

thanks for the feedback. i just have 2 (or was it 3) lotr woodelfs and i just liked how those knights looked and there rules. the glad ones ya faster i just don't like the look on there armor even the glad warriors i don't like the look to much leafy metal armor (that's what it looks to me)

and yes i live in aus and its not up there. WHY CANT AUS GET NICE THINGS.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:57 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeeeah honestly just taking the new models in the old free peoples list is a lot better. I've done both and there free peoples mirkwood with the old wood elves is quite a bit better. The armored mirkwood elves are just like the old wood elves, able to shield but you have to also pay for the elven blade and the armor, but the blade is often a waste and going up to defense 4 from 3 honestly doesn't do much for you. So you basically have to just pay 3 points extra pre elf, which at almost half the cost of the elf adds up quick. The palace guards, I think make good proxies for galadrim court guards, actually useful models!

P
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

the miirk armoured elves aint the old wood elves... they are literally galdhrim.. pnly overall diference is the 2pt glaive that either os blade or shield. if yu wanna just use spear paying for mirk is a bad choice... tt extra point for the elven blade most of the time is a waste.... still if yu tske glaive without shield... then it might be worth it as yu can use the 2h option in which in multiple combats might lend yu some extra punch tocrck it open D6 or higher while still having the option to shift line and get into spear support role