All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:37 pm

Post subject: Help with Mordor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:16 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello!

I recently got help with my Isengard army but I wan't to expand my collection. I've decided to create a Mordor army. :)

I could mix orcs and uruks together but I would also like to have a pure Mordor list. I've bought Gothmog because I like his character and he is a great icon for Mordor. I will soon also buy a ringwraith, probably The Shadowlord (my opponents often use bows) or the Knight of Umbar (I wanted someone who could take on the mighty dwarf heroes and Boromir). Might even buy a troll but that will be in the future.

But now is the tricky part. I've got recommendations to mix regular orcs with morannons. But I don't know how many of each and so on. What could work versus dwarves and Gondor?

Grateful for all advice 8)

Useraxe

Post subject: Re: Help with Mordor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Its tricky but generally you´re better with Morannons, bit more expensive indeed but that extra S and D its important.

I did once just to test out for fun 10 dwarves with shield vs 10 black numenorians with shield. If I dont use special strikes it depends mainly on lucky dice rolls to see who get the most 6s.

If I play to favour a side, the dwarves piercing strike wins the day, cause the +1S at least on the dwarves makes a big diference fighting other D6 troops. From wound of 6´s down to 5 at least.
Defensively if you lose combat, 1/3 of the D3 defence reduction its irrelevant, or was cause numenorians still had needed of 6s to wound dwarves that got 1 or 2 on the dice to see how much armour would reduce... needing 5+ on everything else.

Now applying this strategy to mordor orcs like you´re asking, it should be somesort similar.

If you´re fighting dwarves, consider piercing strike them while wielding shields, if you dont strike they need 6s to wound, if you do, they need 5s for watever result you get from that D3 (unless they piercing strike back too) on your side you´ll get to wound em on 5+ or better cause you got the punch for it ;)

If you´re fighting Gondor generally its the same as dwarves vs black numenorians where you got same fight value with the diference you dont need to pierce strike gondor as they got D lower enough for you need 5+ rather than needing 6s.

However if you find interesting and they got D5, consider piercing strike here and then, makes you getting S5 only needing 4+ to wound foes.
Gondor doesn´t have axes by standart, so you should have a considerable advantage.

If you can however, get black guard of Barad Dur, those are the only ones even vs dwarves in which you dont need piercing strikes watsoever, their base S5 its enough to crack D7 armour as ease as uruks hitting on D6 troops.

Depending in where you play themed or not, if you play for competitve iyou need a Nazgul, that thing by itself its a big heroe hinder and can provide your army to be ressourcefull to handle troubles.
If you take a troll, primarely go for trollchieftain, hes more expensive indeed, but a troll with might and D8 as well as a bit higher courage its hard to crack.

This is a List (based on your thoughts, I would take) 500pts then 750

Some can be elite kind others just horde

Mordor 500pts

Warband 1
Shadowlord on horse
4 black guards of Barad Dur
7 Morannon orcs with shield
1 Morannon orc with shield and banner

Warband 2
Mordor Troll Chieftain
6 Morannon orcs with shield
5 Morannon orcs with spear
1 orc warrior with hand weapon(axe)

For 750pts

Warband 1
Shadowlord on horse
4 black guards of Barad dur
7 Morannon orcs with shield

Warband 2
Mordor Troll Chieftain
5 Morannon orcs with spear

Warband 3
Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul on warg with shield
3 Morannon orcs with spear

If you want without troll at 750

Warband 1
Shadowlord on horse
6 Morannon orcs with spear(2x with shield)

Warband 2
Kardush
6 Mordor orcs with shield
6 Mordor orcs with spear

Warband 3
Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul with shield on warg
6 Warg Riders with shield
5 orc trackers on warg

Warband 4
Black Guard Captain
6 Mordor Orcs with shield
4 Mordor orcs with spear
6 Mordor Orcs with spear
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Wooah! Thanks for the answer, that will really help me in my choices of tropps and so on. I'm grateful for that advice. :)

Fantastic that you even could post army lists! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:45 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

If you're going for orcs, a shaman is essential, not only for saving wounds, but also for making sure you're passing your courage tests.
Mordor also has got a lot of cheap and very good heroes, like Taskmaster (free heroic actions, soo annoying to play against) and Shagrat (a great fighter for his cost).
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

now its up to him to see what he likes most and following a themed or competitive....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:33 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I will defiently get some trolls and a banner. Banner has been really good for me and ended up the man of the match. But I wonder if I should get a mordor banner or a morannon banner... :)